Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2017, 02:24 PM

4,320 posts, read 4,207,988 times

Advertisements

[quote=Allthatsfit;47841788]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
CT to FL
3) Money... Sure the rent is cheaper, but it is also challenging to make any decent amount of money.

Absolutely correct. Unless you are selling a house in the Northeast with good amount of equity - or you are able to transfer your job with your Northeast salary (which won't last long because the whole reason for moving jobs south is to cut salaries) - you don't really get ahead. If you are a poor or lower class person that is especially true. Most people don't get it that the south is the poorest region and the region hardest to escape poverty.

https://www.theatlantic.com/business...rlotte/521763/
You provide a link a left-wing radical rag -- the Atlantic. Same-old same-old Marxist / DEmocratic propaganda of race-baiting, poverty, welfare, social-engineering, etc -- which are destructive of civil societies.

Yet your link mentions only in passing the 63% of children are born in broken families, where the Govt has taken to place of the father, and these left-wing policies incentivize family destruction, and Govt-dependency. Fully by design.

Your link does not mention that leftists declared war on poverty since 60-70 years ago, have monopolized policies in cities, poured trillions of dollars and have not made a single dent. "Progressives" have created a dependent class of voters, who vote almost 100% Democrat, and are always with a hand-out from more freebies.

Unless you have something new, you should leave those propaganda pieces where they belong -- Occupy Wall Street, and radical leftist forums.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2017, 12:10 PM

32,941 posts, read 36,369,350 times
DisplacedNortherner1, why did you move to South Carolina?

Old 04-17-2017, 05:15 PM

11,792 posts, read 5,798,330 times
Have to agree with vintage - my son in Alabama has a house in a new subdivision comparable to the nicer areas here in WNY. His house payment with taxes is what my mortgage was for this middle class home 10 yrs ago before we pd it off. I have to put aside $500 a month for taxes each month - his taxes for the year are $400 - so people can afford to pay a little more for a house - and being the area is growing - his house will climb in value - our values are falling.

Old 04-17-2017, 07:39 PM

93,392 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
Have to agree with vintage - my son in Alabama has a house in a new subdivision comparable to the nicer areas here in WNY. His house payment with taxes is what my mortgage was for this middle class home 10 yrs ago before we pd it off. I have to put aside $500 a month for taxes each month - his taxes for the year are $400 - so people can afford to pay a little more for a house - and being the area is growing - his house will climb in value - our values are falling.
Where in AL?

Old 07-28-2017, 09:51 PM

1 posts, read 1,156 times
My husband me and our cat moved to FL little over a year ago from Northern MN and I am having sec thoughts about being here. There are no hills, I have to give my cat flea stuff every month, no woods just to go in and sit on the ground. You have to watch where you are walking. I have been bitten by a fire ant "ouch" I do miss the snow, it's just the Christmas without it. So if you think you wanna move here don't do it. There are a lot of people here I can never have a break from people. There everywhere. I live in Tamp bay. St. Pete. NOT a place where I want kids at all.

Old 07-29-2017, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloMN View Post
My husband me and our cat moved to FL little over a year ago from Northern MN and I am having sec thoughts about being here. There are no hills, I have to give my cat flea stuff every month, no woods just to go in and sit on the ground. You have to watch where you are walking. I have been bitten by a fire ant "ouch" I do miss the snow, it's just the Christmas without it. So if you think you wanna move here don't do it. There are a lot of people here I can never have a break from people. There everywhere. I live in Tamp bay. St. Pete. NOT a place where I want kids at all.
Are you retired? I'm only asking because perhaps you could do the snowbird thing.

Old 07-29-2017, 10:14 AM

3,058 posts, read 3,825,243 times
Of the people I know who have moved to Florida, about 60% have moved back. Many of my friends do love it there, but more than half have moved back or to other Northeastern areas that are a little cheaper, like PA. It all depends on what you truly want and/or your stage in life.

Old 08-02-2017, 06:15 AM

1,683 posts, read 812,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
That might be tough, as quite a few Northerners are moving to the South. You are almost better off moving to a smaller city or town, if that is the case.

It can get pretty hot and humid too. People are friendly, but to be honest, I don't think it is that much different from Upstate NY in that regard.

I'm thinking that maybe something in Tennessee or possibly Alabama might be good. I'm thinking Nashville, Knoxville or Murfreesboro in TN and Mobile and Huntsville in AL. Maybe the Auburn-Opelika area in AL too.
Nashville's airport is so slammed with passengers, they are expanding with 1.2$$billion of work right now. Cranes all over downtown with more shiny skyscrapers going up all the time. If you are looking for the old-timey down home small-town thing, avoid Nashville. Plus the cost of real estate there is going through the roof. Murf even has traffic jams now. Probably due to mega-sized neighborhoods such as Blackman Farms and St. Andrews. The more things change, the more they DON'T stay the same.

Old 08-05-2017, 04:39 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,898,606 times
I grew up in Syracuse, NY area and we moved around a bit when I was growing up.

I transferred to Kentucky for 6 years for a job until it offshored and then took the first thing that came along (always a mistake) in Tennessee.

Despite the stereotypes associated with the state, Kentucky was not bad. It was pretty much impossible to find decent Italian food there outside of Louisville! The summers are outrageous in terms of being long and hot--summer seems to take up the largest part of the year. People complained about the traffic but it's really no worse than the traffic in some areas of the Metro Detroit area that we lived in. We had been warned about people in Kentucky being clannish and not willing to make friends with "yankees" but we didn't really have that issue and the people we met were friendly and we were included pretty quickly.

Tennessee (Western TN) was pretty awful. The weather was even hotter than in KY and food was crazy expensive--oh, and they tax groceries there. There is no state income tax but everything you buy is taxed at 9% and possibly more in some areas with a city/village tax. There was a lot of clannishness and people seemed reluctant to even do business with you unless you had the recommendation of someone they knew.

I targeted a job search for the Erie, PA region and after 2 hellish years in TN, found the right job. I absolutely love it here!! I have FOUR seasons again, lots of snow, cloudy days, and decent food choices. People are approachable and it doesn't matter who you are related to here. The cost of living is reasonable and DH and I are both much closer to our families. I will never ever again accept a permanent transfer to the South. I know that some people enjoy it and that is fine but it's just not for me I guess. I am thinking that for retirement maybe here or somewhere in VT or ME

Old 08-05-2017, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Joseph View Post
I grew up in Syracuse, NY area and we moved around a bit when I was growing up.

I transferred to Kentucky for 6 years for a job until it offshored and then took the first thing that came along (always a mistake) in Tennessee.

Despite the stereotypes associated with the state, Kentucky was not bad. It was pretty much impossible to find decent Italian food there outside of Louisville! The summers are outrageous in terms of being long and hot--summer seems to take up the largest part of the year. People complained about the traffic but it's really no worse than the traffic in some areas of the Metro Detroit area that we lived in. We had been warned about people in Kentucky being clannish and not willing to make friends with "yankees" but we didn't really have that issue and the people we met were friendly and we were included pretty quickly.

Tennessee (Western TN) was pretty awful. The weather was even hotter than in KY and food was crazy expensive--oh, and they tax groceries there. There is no state income tax but everything you buy is taxed at 9% and possibly more in some areas with a city/village tax. There was a lot of clannishness and people seemed reluctant to even do business with you unless you had the recommendation of someone they knew.

I targeted a job search for the Erie, PA region and after 2 hellish years in TN, found the right job. I absolutely love it here!! I have FOUR seasons again, lots of snow, cloudy days, and decent food choices. People are approachable and it doesn't matter who you are related to here. The cost of living is reasonable and DH and I are both much closer to our families. I will never ever again accept a permanent transfer to the South. I know that some people enjoy it and that is fine but it's just not for me I guess. I am thinking that for retirement maybe here or somewhere in VT or ME
DE seems to be a sleeper option for retirees as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York