Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2016, 04:57 PM

130 posts, read 140,585 times

Advertisements

I'm up here in Fredon.
It is a stunningly beautiful area. Everyday I do my rounds of dogs and the elderly folks and count my blessings when I am stuck behind a slow moving tractor. Additionally, most part most of the people I know are really great. But it can be an insular place for sure. Unfortunately we just happened to move next to the most awful yahoo family as well.

Another negative factor, is the Sussex county growth rate is diminishing, only 2 of the state's counties to do so. Our nearest town is Newton. It could be a great little walkable downtown, but for whatever reason folks just cant get out of their own way and make it happen. Doesn't help that the new generation is abandoning the outlying areas like Sussex, in favor of the Morristowns, the Hobokens, the Jersey Cities.

As a gal who grew up next to Newark and wanted to be a farmer her whole life, I have no interest in city life. But it would be really nice to have a fun little downtown where you could enjoy an infrequent night out or daily stroll once in awhile.
We are pretty much relaxed, beer by the fire pit, book in the hammock, hike the dogs in the woods kinda folks, but once in awhile we dust ourselves off and actually go out in public

Just looking for a little more, a community of sorts.
Maybe a lot of us are.
Just the crazy world we live in today. I think a lot of us are looking for Mayberry with a fun vibe and coming up short.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2016, 06:03 PM

93,389 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinG60 View Post
I'm up here in Fredon.
It is a stunningly beautiful area. Everyday I do my rounds of dogs and the elderly folks and count my blessings when I am stuck behind a slow moving tractor. Additionally, most part most of the people I know are really great. But it can be an insular place for sure. Unfortunately we just happened to move next to the most awful yahoo family as well.

Another negative factor, is the Sussex county growth rate is diminishing, only 2 of the state's counties to do so. Our nearest town is Newton. It could be a great little walkable downtown, but for whatever reason folks just cant get out of their own way and make it happen. Doesn't help that the new generation is abandoning the outlying areas like Sussex, in favor of the Morristowns, the Hobokens, the Jersey Cities.

As a gal who grew up next to Newark and wanted to be a farmer her whole life, I have no interest in city life. But it would be really nice to have a fun little downtown where you could enjoy an infrequent night out or daily stroll once in awhile.
We are pretty much relaxed, beer by the fire pit, book in the hammock, hike the dogs in the woods kinda folks, but once in awhile we dust ourselves off and actually go out in public

Maybe a lot of us are.
Just the crazy world we live in today. I think a lot of us are looking for Mayberry with a fun vibe and coming up short.
If you are considering looking Upstate, then that Lewis County suggestion may be worth a look. Not only do you have the twin villages of Carthage/West Carthage, Lowville is another decent sized and walkable village in the county. Carthage and West Carthage are actually just inside of Jefferson County. Watertown and Utica are bigger cities not too far away, with Syracuse being the closest (mid)major city. As mentioned, keep the winter weather in mind.

Some other small town/rural Upstate areas when you can find a visible degree of cultural diversity are some communities in Wayne and Orleans counties. Places like Lyons, Sodus, Newark, Clyde, Albion, Medina, Williamson, Kendall, etc. Both counties are adjacent to Monroe County, which is where Rochester is located. Wayne County is also in between the Finger Lakes and Lake Ontario, with the eastern portion of the county being under an hour from Syracuse. You also have the Erie Canal cutting through villages such as Lyons, Newark, Palmyra and Macedon.

I also thought about a place like Brockport in western Monroe County, as it has a SUNY campus and is a walkable canal village that gets rural west of it.

Old 10-10-2016, 03:44 PM

24,125 posts, read 32,484,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swtchft77 View Post
My wife heard the other day that people that moved down south from ny are now moving back. has anybody you know (yourself included) done this? If so why? We're wondering because we've thought from time to time about moving down south but would like to know the downsides that other northerners have experienced.
There are vast cultural differences between the North and the South.

One, that I have heard repeatedly from North Easterners who tried the Carolinas, and other places - and moved back is that "they are still fighting the Civil War". People in the North do not share this obsession.

The people I knew were tired of being called "Yankees". Seriously, when was the last time anyone here referred to a Southerner as a "Rebel".?

We don't.

They continue to harbor hostility towards Northerners because of what many of them call "The War of Northern Aggression".

The Bible Belt religiosity and judgemental attitude that goes with it, also seems to have been a reason for the return of many northern transplants.

It's a nice place to visit in the winter. Bottom line - they really don't like us.

ETA- "Mayberry" isn't real. Watch "Andy Griffith" re-runs if you want that "Southern Hospitality".

Old 10-11-2016, 07:33 PM

93,389 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
If you are considering looking Upstate, then that Lewis County suggestion may be worth a look. Not only do you have the twin villages of Carthage/West Carthage, Lowville is another decent sized and walkable village in the county. Carthage and West Carthage are actually just inside of Jefferson County. Watertown and Utica are bigger cities not too far away, with Syracuse being the closest (mid)major city. As mentioned, keep the winter weather in mind.

Some other small town/rural Upstate areas when you can find a visible degree of cultural diversity are some communities in Wayne and Orleans counties. Places like Lyons, Sodus, Newark, Clyde, Albion, Medina, Williamson, Kendall, etc. Both counties are adjacent to Monroe County, which is where Rochester is located. Wayne County is also in between the Finger Lakes and Lake Ontario, with the eastern portion of the county being under an hour from Syracuse. You also have the Erie Canal cutting through villages such as Lyons, Newark, Palmyra and Macedon.

I also thought about a place like Brockport in western Monroe County, as it has a SUNY campus and is a walkable canal village that gets rural west of it.
Just from looking at your other thread, Carthage may work in terms of a cafe and library: https://m.facebook.com/pages/Bombay-...62895303748451

https://www.carthagefreelibrary.org

Lowville may also be an option in that regard as well: https://m.facebook.com/LoveMyCafeZ/

https://www.lowvillefreelibrary.org

Lowville even has a movie theater: Lowville Town Hall Theater

Both have small hospitals, but for major things, I believe that they go to Syracuse. Lewis County General Hospital - Home

Home - Carthage Area Hospital

More info: Carthage Area Chamber of Commerce - Carthage NY 13619 - 315.493.3590

Village Of Lowville: Local Events: Local Events [Digital Towpath]
Lewis County Chamber of Commerce - a quiet corner of New York's Adirondack Region - lewiscountychamber.org ...Lewis County, NY

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 10-11-2016 at 07:54 PM..

Old 10-12-2016, 08:29 AM

3,058 posts, read 3,825,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinG60 View Post
I'm up here in Fredon.

Maybe a lot of us are.
Knowing that, I'd say Saratoga or Warren County, NY could be an excellent option. I feel like Saratoga is very similar to Sussex County, but with lower home cost, and lower taxes (way lower taxes- $3k vs $13k). Also, Saratoga has a similar vibe to Sussex with the added big benefit of having walkable towns and more newly developed suburbs ( such as Clifton Park, Malta and Saratoga Town). If you can fit in with the people in Sussex, you can definitely fit in in Saratoga, with the people (IMO) being much nicer.

IMO, Sussex kinda sucks because the small towns are dead, the population (like you mentioned) is dwindling fast, and there's no real areas where you can shop. Newton is hurting. Also, I have found the weather to be similar in both areas. So, its an easy adjustment.

Old 10-16-2016, 05:56 PM

130 posts, read 140,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
Knowing that, I'd say Saratoga or Warren County, NY could be an excellent option. I feel like Saratoga is very similar to Sussex County, but with lower home cost, and lower taxes (way lower taxes- $3k vs $13k). Also, Saratoga has a similar vibe to Sussex with the added big benefit of having walkable towns and more newly developed suburbs ( such as Clifton Park, Malta and Saratoga Town). If you can fit in with the people in Sussex, you can definitely fit in in Saratoga, with the people (IMO) being much nicer.

IMO, Sussex kinda sucks because the small towns are dead, the population (like you mentioned) is dwindling fast, and there's no real areas where you can shop. Newton is hurting. Also, I have found the weather to be similar in both areas. So, its an easy adjustment.
thanks for the rec
I drove up to Cambridge area yesterday, what a charming little town. Didn't have much time, but loved the historic old homes, the farms, the mountains and the little downtown. It does remind me of Sussex, but less densely populated and much cheaper. Nice!

Old 10-19-2016, 02:48 PM

2,112 posts, read 2,597,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
There are vast cultural differences between the North and the South.

One, that I have heard repeatedly from North Easterners who tried the Carolinas, and other places - and moved back is that "they are still fighting the Civil War". People in the North do not share this obsession.

The people I knew were tired of being called "Yankees". Seriously, when was the last time anyone here referred to a Southerner as a "Rebel".?

We don't.

They continue to harbor hostility towards Northerners because of what many of them call "The War of Northern Aggression".

The Bible Belt religiosity and judgemental attitude that goes with it, also seems to have been a reason for the return of many northern transplants.

It's a nice place to visit in the winter. Bottom line - they really don't like us.

ETA- "Mayberry" isn't real. Watch "Andy Griffith" re-runs if you want that "Southern Hospitality".
That first part is spot on. A lot of people down South with spew confederate pride in one breath then act as if they are the most patriotic Americans that ever existed in the next one. It's like these people have no idea nor do they care that they are promoting treason. Its like many live in their own reality that they made up for themselves.

I wouldn't say the resentment towards Northerners is terrible, a lot of times it is just people playing around. At first it caught me off guard, but then I realized most people down here did not mean any harm by it.

The religious aspect is very true down here as well. To make matters even worse is how much religion is used to influence politics down here, most of the time to marginalize those who are different from them. If your not religious down here people are more likely to give you negative feedback way more than up in most of NYC.

I will say that people down here can be very rude, they just have different ways of going about it. Many people underestimate the rudeness here. It's not as so much to your face as people in New York are.

Some places have a lot more hospitality than others down South. Problem is these places can be a bit to backwards and religious for my taste.

With that being said, I have been living down South for six years now. It's cheap as hell where I live and very easy to get around. I don't have too many problems because I am a just go to work and the gym type. So the backwardness around me doesn't fool me too much!!

Old 10-19-2016, 07:29 PM

1,320 posts, read 1,535,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beliciano View Post
That first part is spot on. A lot of people down South with spew confederate pride in one breath then act as if they are the most patriotic Americans that ever existed in the next one. It's like these people have no idea nor do they care that they are promoting treason. Its like many live in their own reality that they made up for themselves.

I wouldn't say the resentment towards Northerners is terrible, a lot of times it is just people playing around. At first it caught me off guard, but then I realized most people down here did not mean any harm by it.

The religious aspect is very true down here as well. To make matters even worse is how much religion is used to influence politics down here, most of the time to marginalize those who are different from them. If your not religious down here people are more likely to give you negative feedback way more than up in most of NYC.

I will say that people down here can be very rude, they just have different ways of going about it. Many people underestimate the rudeness here. It's not as so much to your face as people in New York are.

Some places have a lot more hospitality than others down South. Problem is these places can be a bit to backwards and religious for my taste.

With that being said, I have been living down South for six years now. It's cheap as hell where I live and very easy to get around. I don't have too many problems because I am a just go to work and the gym type. So the backwardness around me doesn't fool me too much!!
Do you suppose the "rebels" might be able to pick up on your attitude?

Old 10-20-2016, 07:14 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,095,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beliciano View Post

I think the bolded line really sums things up for everything your saying, "it's not your taste". Yes the south is different but much of what you mention I have experienced in NY and other locations, I often wonder what backwater locality have you and others been living in based on the observations you posted.

Old 10-26-2016, 10:15 AM

3,058 posts, read 3,825,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
I'm just so glad to be out west, 2474 miles away to be exact, and away from such "tolerant" progressives such as yourself. Not too condescending now are you?
Just saw this, and I think you misconstrued what I meant. I wasn't talking about politics, I was talking about living around people who are backward. People who only care about themselves. Such examples are people who rev motorcycles at 10:00 pm on a weeknight, people who let their dogs roam free and when they knock over your bbq grill, the dog owners do not apologize or even care.

Also, as we discussed in the past, AZ is great for the situation that you have. You can live almost anywhere (as you stated in the past) which means you can live at high elevations and make your living. I would also leave NYS if I was in your situation. But most of us are not. So, that means you're probably living in or around Phoenix. Phoenix, IMO, is a flat, brown, air polluted city filled with illegals, gangs, and other natural creatures that want to kill you (scorpions, tarantulas, rattlesnakes, fire ants, etc).

I've been to Phoenix in the summer (and Las Vegas) and I'd rather live inside a volcano on the sun. For what I do for a living, I'm outside most days for 8-10 hours a day. Plus I have to compete with illegals to make a living. No thanks. But I'm glad you like it there- up in the mountains, its a beautiful state. Not to mention that AZ has some f*cked up laws: In Arizona, Parents Could Go to Jail for Changing Their Kids' Diapers - Hit & Run : Reason.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York