Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2017, 10:56 AM

1,360 posts, read 1,399,291 times

Advertisements

The stuff about neighbors dogs on your property cracks me up. I don't know what the laws are down there, but here in NY your dog is supposed to be on your property. If some dog kept going on my property on would A. Call animal control, or B. Round the dog up and bring them to animal control. Let them deal with your neighbor. It is highly irresponsible for people to just let their dogs roam loose through a neighborhood for all parties involved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2017, 04:25 PM

7,511 posts, read 4,381,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
Just saw this, and I think you misconstrued what I meant. I wasn't talking about politics, I was talking about living around people who are backward. People who only care about themselves. Such examples are people who rev motorcycles at 10:00 pm on a weeknight, people who let their dogs roam free and when they knock over your bbq grill, the dog owners do not apologize or even care.

Also, as we discussed in the past, AZ is great for the situation that you have. You can live almost anywhere (as you stated in the past) which means you can live at high elevations and make your living. I would also leave NYS if I was in your situation. But most of us are not. So, that means you're probably living in or around Phoenix. Phoenix, IMO, is a flat, brown, air polluted city filled with illegals, gangs, and other natural creatures that want to kill you (scorpions, tarantulas, rattlesnakes, fire ants, etc).

I've been to Phoenix in the summer (and Las Vegas) and I'd rather live inside a volcano on the sun. For what I do for a living, I'm outside most days for 8-10 hours a day. Plus I have to compete with illegals to make a living. No thanks. But I'm glad you like it there- up in the mountains, its a beautiful state. Not to mention that AZ has some f*cked up laws: In Arizona, Parents Could Go to Jail for Changing Their Kids' Diapers - Hit & Run : Reason.com
A lot of people assume that anyone that moves to Arizona lives in Phoenix. Arizona is the 6th largest state. I've got news for you there's a lot more to Arizona than Phoenix. I hate to tell you this but I do not live in or around Phoenix or even near it for that matter. You should never make assumptions unless you know for sure. You couldn't pay me enough money to live there or any other city or their metro area's for that matter. I've had enough of that in Westchester County, N.Y. I don't think you'll find a city in America that doesn't have drugs, gangs and illegals.

In the 7 years of living here we've only encountered a rattlesnake twice. One that someone had killed and another that we almost ran over. We've gone out hiking into the desert and wilderness God only knows how many times and have yet to encounter any. For all we know we might have walked passed them without even knowing it. Scorpions? We've yet to see even one. Yes they are in Arizona but it's not like the place is crawling with them. Tarantula's? Those we have seen maybe a dozen times. They kinda' just mosey along minding their own business. My wife actually likes them. They really don't bother anybody.

There are lizard's all over the place. Mostly under 6 inches long. They too do not bother anybody either and are fast as hell. Gila Monsters are quite rare, I've never seen one and neither has anyone that I've ever spoken to including people who have lived here all their lives. Seen a few horned lizard's which are pretty cool. The look prehistoric. They too do not bother humans. As a matter of fact most of the wild life doesn't as long as you leave them alone.

Old 04-03-2017, 05:29 PM

3,058 posts, read 3,838,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
A lot of people assume that anyone that moves to Arizona lives in Phoenix. Arizona is the 6th largest state. I've got news for you there's a lot more to Arizona than Phoenix. I hate to tell you this but I do not live in or around Phoenix or even near it for that matter. You should never make assumptions unless you know for sure. You couldn't pay me enough money to live there or any other city or their metro area's for that matter. I've had enough of that in Westchester County, N.Y. I don't think you'll find a city in America that doesn't have drugs, gangs and illegals.

In the 7 years of living here we've only encountered a rattlesnake twice. One that someone had killed and another that we almost ran over. We've gone out hiking into the desert and wilderness God only knows how many times and have yet to encounter any. For all we know we might have walked passed them without even knowing it. Scorpions? We've yet to see even one. Yes they are in Arizona but it's not like the place is crawling with them. Tarantula's? Those we have seen maybe a dozen times. They kinda' just mosey along minding their own business. My wife actually likes them. They really don't bother anybody.

There are lizard's all over the place. Mostly under 6 inches long. They too do not bother anybody either and are fast as hell. Gila Monsters are quite rare, I've never seen one and neither has anyone that I've ever spoken to including people who have lived here all their lives. Seen a few horned lizard's which are pretty cool. The look prehistoric. They too do not bother humans. As a matter of fact most of the wild life doesn't as long as you leave them alone.
Again, you have misunderstood what I said. I already know that you don't live in Phoenix. That was my point. I said the average person who needs a job will probably be looking in Phoenix. You are lucky in that you do not have to live there, but most other people in need of a job will be looking in or around Phoenix.

Old 04-13-2017, 06:28 AM

3 posts, read 3,728 times
I'm really surprised at your post - it seems needlessly condescending. I haven't kept up with posts on Peoria - and am surprised at the claim that someone would both be looking into that location and a place halfway across the country (especially someone who claims to have limited time on their hands).

I put time into this post because I am enduring psychological isolation by living in a place with people of diametrically opposed values; I found your reply lacking in compassion and empathy, but that is fine - it's up to you and your right to post whatever you would like.

I don't particularly care how other people worship God - I care that I cannot find anyone who is more like me, and am therefore socially isolated. If the fundamentalists are happy together, it doesn't bother me one it - it only bothers me that there are no people for me to socialize with.

And to answer your question - I no longer have one of my dogs to walk, because she died in pregnancy after being a victim of the no-leash boys-will-be-boys culture around here.

I'm not in a contest on a forum dedicated to talking about city location quality of life to debate who is "busiest." I just wanted to warn others.

Old 04-13-2017, 06:36 AM

3 posts, read 3,728 times
Default Just replying

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Displaced Northerner where were you living? I have read a lot of accusations in this post but this is the first time someone has basically said my dog was raped. As the above poster stated I also have never heard anyone speak glowingly about Peoria, in fact most people I know from there are less than flattering about it.
We lived in the Dunlap area, it was beautiful - there were apple orchards nearby, and a beautiful state park, a Playhouse and museum for the kids with classes, and a non-uber-conservative homeschool network. Peoria IS going down hill as the main employer pulls out its investments, but it was fantastic - I don't know why anyone would not love it but I suppose there are people (anyone with a family, it's not great for single people or couples without kids). Anyway, my dog was raped, and has now died in the pregnancy - without so much as a word of apology from the owner of the dog that believes that his dog falls under "boys will be boys". We buried her in the backyard. At least we still have the other dog. The other poster is right in that I don't want to waste any more time on this post...and it's a sensitive topic now that we've lost a family member during this too but, I just wanted to warn other people moving down here of what they might face.

Old 04-13-2017, 07:03 AM

4,321 posts, read 4,225,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisplacedNortherner1 View Post
I'm really surprised at your post - it seems needlessly condescending. I haven't kept up with posts on Peoria - and am surprised at the claim that someone would both be looking into that location and a place halfway across the country (especially someone who claims to have limited time on their hands).

I put time into this post because I am enduring psychological isolation by living in a place with people of diametrically opposed values; I found your reply lacking in compassion and empathy, but that is fine - it's up to you and your right to post whatever you would like.

I don't particularly care how other people worship God - I care that I cannot find anyone who is more like me, and am therefore socially isolated. If the fundamentalists are happy together, it doesn't bother me one it - it only bothers me that there are no people for me to socialize with.

And to answer your question - I no longer have one of my dogs to walk, because she died in pregnancy after being a victim of the no-leash boys-will-be-boys culture around here.

I'm not in a contest on a forum dedicated to talking about city location quality of life to debate who is "busiest." I just wanted to warn others.
My response was to help you, although not in the manner that you expected. Just as anybody else, I was born and raised in NYC, have lived in several places, and currently still in the Northeast -- cannot start to tell you problems that I've experienced with neighbors, and many others. But I've had many good experiences too.

Not trying to sound like a shrink, but I believe that our perception of the world is partly a reflection of ourselves. You accuse me of condescending, yet you entire post is full of condescension for an entire region, and you are still a newcomer there.

So, really the question is -- is our perception of a place biased by who we are? I think so, but I'll let you come to your own conclusion.

Old 04-14-2017, 05:54 PM

210 posts, read 130,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swtchft77 View Post
My wife heard the other day that people that moved down south from ny are now moving back. has anybody you know (yourself included) done this? If so why? We're wondering because we've thought from time to time about moving down south but would like to know the downsides that other northerners have experienced.
I know quite a few people who went to Maryland and returned.. A couple to Georgia and a few to Maryland. Why? Usually family and friends are the reason... NY culture is also a major reason. Usually they also realized that just because cost of living is lower doesn't mean your pay won't be cut just as much. I know others wish they could go back to NY - but because they don't make as much money anymore they can't save enough to go back. Most of the people I know who did it still had family in NY that they could stay with for a while to get back on their feet.

Old 04-14-2017, 05:57 PM

210 posts, read 130,051 times
[quote=wolf39us;44679367]CT to FL
3) Money... Sure the rent is cheaper, but it is also challenging to make any decent amount of money.

Absolutely correct. Unless you are selling a house in the Northeast with good amount of equity - or you are able to transfer your job with your Northeast salary (which won't last long because the whole reason for moving jobs south is to cut salaries) - you don't really get ahead. If you are a poor or lower class person that is especially true. Most people don't get it that the south is the poorest region and the region hardest to escape poverty.

https://www.theatlantic.com/business...rlotte/521763/

Old 04-14-2017, 08:29 PM

7,511 posts, read 4,381,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisplacedNortherner1 View Post

My God! Then why did you leave where you were to begin with? In order to be happy in your new location or adopted state. It's imperative to know what you're getting into. Have you ever taken into consideration that maybe it's you? I'm sure that there are many others that have moved to where you are that are getting along just fine. Obviously you're going to have problems and a poor social life if you do nothing but complain about your adopted state and those that were there well before you.

We couldn't be any happier where we are as it is more compatible with our way of thinking and political beliefs. Making new friends and socializing was easy. Even back in deep blue New York we had many friends of common interests. Yes there are Conservatives in New York and unfortunately there are Liberals out here in Arizona. I don't know why? All they do is complain about how backwards they think we are. Why they've moved and continue to live here is beyond me? Most are from California, they've managed to screw up their own state and now want to screw up this one. It doesn't make any sense. Thankfully they're in the minority. But even out here they do have their little groups and stamp their little feet while waving their little banners. Most people though do ignore them as nothing more than malcontents. However it is their right and there have been no acts of violence against them.

There really is a place for just about everyone, you've just got to do diligent research to find that place. Unfortunately some people no matter where they go will never be happy. It is only they that can do something about their situation. I wish you all the luck in the world, I really do.

Last edited by Ex New Yorker; 04-14-2017 at 08:55 PM..

Old 04-16-2017, 09:29 AM

93,976 posts, read 124,814,196 times
[quote=Allthatsfit;47841788]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
CT to FL
3) Money... Sure the rent is cheaper, but it is also challenging to make any decent amount of money.

Absolutely correct. Unless you are selling a house in the Northeast with good amount of equity - or you are able to transfer your job with your Northeast salary (which won't last long because the whole reason for moving jobs south is to cut salaries) - you don't really get ahead. If you are a poor or lower class person that is especially true. Most people don't get it that the south is the poorest region and the region hardest to escape poverty.

https://www.theatlantic.com/business...rlotte/521763/
This is a similar article: https://mobile.nytimes.com/2013/07/2...agewanted=all&
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York