Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2012, 04:30 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,629,860 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
I moved back to NY from FL because southerners live life differently than the way I prefer to.

- They talk way too slow.
- Constantly ask me why I "talk funny". At least I don't say "ya'll" or other stupid terms like that.
- They drive either like maniacs or way too slow.
- The bugs are disgusting and literally make me want to scream like a little girl.
- Most southerners are very close-minded to anything new and I don't like that. I'm not saying I'm super-liberal, but jeez, they didn't even like the way I tied my shoes (long story).
- There isn't too much to do in the south unless you're a tourist. Sure, living next to the ocean is ok but there really isn't much to do besides that unless you LOVE hanging out at the local fast food joint.
- North Carolina smells like fried chicken every morning and that got old after about 2 days.
- South Carolina's roads shouldn't even be considered roads.
- South Carolina is also the dirtiest state in the nation if you ask me. I stopped in multiple places there and everywhere I went was a complete dump.
- Virginia is very dirty as well (Richmond area is where I was) but the people are a little more tolerable.
- Kentucky and Tennessee should just be renamed the Confederacy.
- The most annoying the about southern people is whenever they need to end a conversation with you, they'll just say something like "Well I'm done talking to you so go back to NY." Like seriously man, what is your deal? Did I really bother you that much by asking a question? Next time I'm walking down a street in NY and encounter a southerner I guess I'll shoot them the same respect back which they seem to think is ok to give. GO BACK TO THE SOUTH!

Ok, the last one was a bit ranty but really it's happened to me before, quite often.

Overall, I'd rather be brutally nailed by snow in the face every morning on my way to work during the winter instead of putting with all the South doesn't have to offer me.
Living in SC for the last 2 years, it's god to know many of the things that drive me nuts are Southern and I haven't lost my mind. The whole driving 50 in the left lane on the interstate when the speedlimit is 70 is something I will never understand.

The bugs....OMG!!! Never in my life have I seen so many bugs. There are bugs here hat I swear could move furniture. They're flipping huge and sooooooo disgusting! I've encountered enough black widows to last at least 15 lifetimes.

And what is with fast food being the end all of food? They deep fry everything and I mean EVERYTHING. If you stand still long enough, they'd probably deep fry you. Many people here consider fast food to be gourmet food. Yup, pink slime is tasty.....barf

Hearing, "95 goes north, ya know?" more than once a week is enough to make me want to go home. NO one EVER says things like that in NY! And just a little FYI.....while 95 does in fact go north and south, it doesn't go to to every state in the North and only goes to NYC in NY which is not where I'm from. Thank you very much! Although I'd much rather live in the middle of Manhattan in a shoebox than around these people!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2012, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblake78728 View Post
You're an African-American & they called you as Yankee?? Wow. Speaking of Yankees, I always found it a little unsettling how in just about every small town in the deep south they seem to have a monument or memorial celebrating the racists & traitors of the CSA as national heroes.
Everyone who isn't Southern is a Yankee. Hearing a girl from Cali called a Yankee confused the hell out of me! Seems like if you're not inbreed or have your teeth, you're a Yankee.

About those monuments....don't forget the war isn't over! People around here act like they were in battle just yesterday. Meanwhile, they have no clue what the war was over or how different their lives would be if they won the war and the country separated.

Old 05-13-2012, 04:34 PM

Quote:
I
- Most southerners are very close-minded to anything new and I don't like that. I'm not saying I'm super-liberal, but jeez, they didn't even like the way I tied my shoes (long story).
Ummm....what's wrong with tying your shoes? At least, they're tied and not falling off your feet like many guys wear their pants!

Old 05-13-2012, 05:13 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,835,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Living in SC for the last 2 years, it's god to know many of the things that drive me nuts are Southern and I haven't lost my mind. The whole driving 50 in the left lane on the interstate when the speedlimit is 70 is something I will never understand.

Thank God someone understands. I was driving back to NY from FL and SC drivers just love their left lane. They don't move over for squat and then COMPLAIN about how we New Yorkers are terrible drivers for riding their bumpers to try and get them to move over. And they think that us flashing our high beams behind them is also some form of disrespect. *shaking my head*

The bugs....OMG!!! Never in my life have I seen so many bugs. There are bugs here hat I swear could move furniture. They're flipping huge and sooooooo disgusting! I've encountered enough black widows to last at least 15 lifetimes.

The house I rented for a couple months in Florida had these spiders EVERYWHERE but they would only crawl around at night and in the early morning hours. I had one on the wall of my bedroom and it was seriously the size of my fist. And yes, I did scream like a little girl and called the pest control company right away while soaking up my tears of trauma. And then southerners have the nerve to tell me that I'm a sissy! Sorry that I don't like taranchulas crawling all over me while I sleep!

And what is with fast food being the end all of food? They deep fry everything and I mean EVERYTHING. If you stand still long enough, they'd probably deep fry you. Many people here consider fast food to be gourmet food. Yup, pink slime is tasty.....barf

This is one of the things that actually made me move back to NY. They have no restaurants that are owned by an actual family of that food's origin. I asked a friend who was a native of FL to show me some good places to eat and he thought that Golden Corral was a gift from heaven. *facepalm* And every morning people flood McDonald's for their "gourmet" breakfast and it makes me just shake my head even more.

Hearing, "95 goes north, ya know?" "Yeah, my foot can go up your a** too, ya know?" more than once a week is enough to make me want to go home. NO one EVER says things like that in NY! And just a little FYI.....while 95 does in fact go north and south, it doesn't go to to every state in the North and only goes to NYC in NY which is not where I'm from. Thank you very much! Although I'd much rather live in the middle of Manhattan in a shoebox than around these people!

Lol you can say that again! I was in a gas station one time in SC and politely asked to use the keys to the bathroom and the lady asked me where I was from and then told me the bathroom was in use. I then stated that I'll just wait and she apparently was frustrated with me and told me to leave. I asked why and she said "the last Yankee that used the bathroom broke the sink handle." Then I asked her out of curiosity where this destructive Yankee fellow was from and she told me Virginia. At that moment, I truly believed in all of the "unintelligent southerners" stereotypes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Ummm....what's wrong with tying your shoes? At least, they're tied and not falling off your feet like many guys wear their pants!
To make a long story short, I like to lace my shoes in a different pattern that is noticeable and apparently southern people just can't handle something when it looks unique and they are not genetically able to embrace a bit of change in their life.

I will never move back to the south. I don't regret many things, but that is one of them.

Old 05-14-2012, 12:38 PM

3 posts, read 33,313 times
I was born and raised in Toledo, OH, and lived in Mississippi (Jackson, MS for undergrad, Vicksburg, MS for the first 6 months of my marriage) for several years. I had a love/hate relationship with Mississippi, and the South in general.

Loves?
*Weather. Mississippi had rainy springs, sultry summers, PERFECT FOOTBALL FALLS, and puny winters compared to the 2ft deep snowdrift blizzards I was used to living off of Lake Erie all those years in Ohio. I was able to see so many different types of landscapes, visit the historical places I had only heard of on television or read about in schoolbooks, and experience/jam with some of the most talented blues/jazz musicians I've ever encountered, and probably will encounter, in my life. The food was delicious (I'd been skinny all my life and finally grew some healthy curves in Mississippi!), the men were respectful and charming, and my college climate was that of a huge village, with the administrators as politicians, professors as griots, and the students all looking out for each other.

Hates?
THE ECONOMY and RACIST GENTRIFICATION. Jackson, and Vicksburg, was a city of diametrics. Huge old-money plantations, Million dollar houses on the main streets, RVS and time shares were on one face. Row houses, cobbled raggedy streets, ill-stocked clinics, ditches with dead bodies, and lynchings (James Craig Robinson of Summer 2011, anyone?) were on another face of it. People used to get shot next across the street from my college all the time. This is not to say that the money was just split black/white, because there are entire black-owned subdivisions of 6-7figure homes, and there were plenty of poor whites too. But the more I learned about the history of the city, and the way the politics play out today, the more I was ready to leave to a more tolerant place. Mississippi is WORKING ON IT, but there are far too many good-ole-boy systems in place for me to want to raise children there. Besides, public transportation stops at 7pm!!!! I enjoyed the freedom of being a teenager in the midwest riding the busses or getting a taxi with friends if I wanted to, not having to beg parents for rides. In Mississippi, you HAVE to have a car, or you'll be bored, pregnant, and selling drugs in no time.

Old 05-14-2012, 03:57 PM

3,400 posts, read 8,032,855 times
Quote:
I moved back to NY from FL because southerners live life differently than the way I prefer to.

- They talk way too slow. You talk way too fast. You're down here, you adapt. Period.
- Constantly ask me why I "talk funny". At least I don't say "ya'll" or other stupid terms like that. Look it up, genius, 'Ya'll' is an abbreviation of 'you all'. It is ALOT easier on the ears than 'You's, yinz, etc'. I cringe when I hear that. Its awful.
- They drive either like maniacs or way too slow. And YA'LLL are the ones riding bumpers and screaming out windows. I have news for you, you ride my bumper and I slow down, WAAAAY down JUST to p!$$ in your cornflakes. While you're screaming, Im laughing my butt off.
- The bugs are disgusting and literally make me want to scream like a little girl. Heaven forbid there be BUGS!!! Like O.M.G!!
- Most southerners are very close-minded to anything new and I don't like that. I'm not saying I'm super-liberal, but jeez, they didn't even like the way I tied my shoes (long story). Unless you made a big deal out of it, Im surprised anyone noticed or cared.
- There isn't too much to do in the south unless you're a tourist. Sure, living next to the ocean is ok but there really isn't much to do besides that unless you LOVE hanging out at the local fast food joint. Because you dont know where to look and how to entertain yourself.
- North Carolina smells like fried chicken every morning and that got old after about 2 days. Yeah, because you've been EVERYWHERE in NC? I call bull. NYC smelled like pee and stale food on alot of streets, but I dont claim it ALL smelled that way because I didnt go everywhere.
- South Carolina's roads shouldn't even be considered roads. THAT we will agree on. Ive made a travel game of dodging potholes on the interstate.
- South Carolina is also the dirtiest state in the nation if you ask me. I stopped in multiple places there and everywhere I went was a complete dump. Because there is DIRT. Not just concrete. Dirt. And again, NYC is CERTAINLY far from clean. I can breathe here without smelling pee or nasty food carts.
- Virginia is very dirty as well (Richmond area is where I was) but the people are a little more tolerable.
- Kentucky and Tennessee should just be renamed the Confederacy.
- The most annoying the about southern people is whenever they need to end a conversation with you, they'll just say something like "Well I'm done talking to you so go back to NY." Like seriously man, what is your deal? Did I really bother you that much by asking a question? Next time I'm walking down a street in NY and encounter a southerner I guess I'll shoot them the same respect back which they seem to think is ok to give. GO BACK TO THE SOUTH!

The highlighted above I am willing to bet you DID or SAID SOMETHING to provoke that reaction. We dont usually get that nasty unless there is a reason.I have never known anyone to end a conversation that way that was pleasant. You did or said something offensive. And furthermore, JUST because someone did something to you doesnt mean you should lump an entire people into it.
Ok, the last one was a bit ranty but really it's happened to me before, quite often.
Whiny. Not ranty, whiny.
Overall, I'd rather be brutally nailed by snow in the face every morning on my way to work during the winter instead of putting with all the South doesn't have to offer me.
Good riddance.

Old 05-14-2012, 04:00 PM

3,400 posts, read 8,032,855 times
Quote:
To make a long story short, I like to lace my shoes in a different pattern that is noticeable and apparently southern people just can't handle something when it looks unique and they are not genetically able to embrace a bit of change in their life.

I will never move back to the south. I don't regret many things, but that is one of them.
OH NOW we're a genetics expert too, along with an expert on the state of North Carolina and Southern people in general?
I really call BS this time.
You know, with this attitude no wonder you didnt get a very nice welcome down here.

Old 05-15-2012, 11:06 AM

6,616 posts, read 13,835,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colddiamond102 View Post
Good riddance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colddiamond102 View Post
OH NOW we're a genetics expert too, along with an expert on the state of North Carolina and Southern people in general?
I really call BS this time.
You know, with this attitude no wonder you didnt get a very nice welcome down here.
See, this is what I don't get. To people from any northern state, I don't really have an attitude. Perhaps southern people are a bit too sensitive?

And yeah I never claimed to be a genetics expert; it was just a figure of speech, so you can hop off my back and quit this stupid argument.

I'm not the kind of person who goes around looking for ways to "provoke" people.

And who ever says "yinz" is an idiot. I've never heard anyone say that before.

Old 05-15-2012, 01:45 PM

719 posts, read 1,554,297 times
People for whom tolerance doesn't come easy will have troubles either way. If you're a "sterotypical" brash NY'er and go south with an strong accent and attitude, people won't generally like you.
If you're a "sterotypical" southerner and expect a slower pace, you'll be frustrated.
I moved from WNY to DFW in my mid 20's and yes, it was a culture shock. But I also know this isn't and would never be my "home". I accept this area for what it is. I won't be here too much longer but I will leave with no regrets. I've been a good ambassador as a Yankee in the South!

Old 05-15-2012, 02:36 PM

2 posts, read 38,814 times
They're moving back up north because the people down here are so darned rude and mean. They do NOT like Yankees, make it well known that they do NOT like Yankees, and will NOT let you forget it. Been here since 1978 and would leave yesterday if not that my family is here. IF I could talk my kids into, we would move right back to my little slice of heaven in WNY.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York