Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2011, 10:48 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,623,498 times

Advertisements

Indeed, the rural north and rural south have much in common with each other than with their urban counterparts. I moved back to Upstate NY partially for the fact that I didn't like how the area of NC I lived in had changed with the huge influx of Noo Yawka's from Long Island/Downstate. I wouldn't call the area I live in (suburbs of Rochester) "rural" by any means, nor was the Raleigh area "rural"....but pre 2000, the Raleigh area was much more similar to Rochester than it was to Long Island; this is not the case now. I would probably never live downstate, save for if I were single and in my 20's I'd probably like Manhattan, but Upstate NY is definitely home and glad to be back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2011, 03:03 AM

1 posts, read 4,222 times
People who move down to FL for the heat are looking for trouble. Heat breeds disease. Give me the cold weather any day. I can always come in from the cold and warm up. Those people who move to FL spend more money on air conditioning then they would have spent on heat up in a colder climate. Some people always think the grass is greener, that's only over the septic tank.! That's what FL is septic tank, full mold, **** roaches and bug infestation. Also too much sun is no good. Moving to FL make sure you know the name of a good dermatologist you are going to need one.

Old 08-19-2011, 09:40 PM

1 posts, read 3,945 times
Default On being ahalfback

I am origional fron the jersey coast, Ocean Grove and am presently living in the Adirondack mts. of ny during Jun. thru Nov. then I head to my place in Fountain Fl. 25 min. north of Panama City which is in the country. When I get there in Dec., I visit a lot on my trip south, the weather is wonderful. What I don't like is uprooting every 6 mos. driving, closing one place and cleaning the other. I have a great little town of Murphy, nc where the summers can be hot but the mornings and evenings are comfortable. Folks are southern friendly and helpful. Most northeners will notice a little cultural difference which is good. They are a good influence on us northerners. It is very hard to fit in with the crackers in Fl. It is just the way it is. My hope is that western nc will be a better fit. I forgot to mention that I am retired and don't need to look for work. The lake is great and the town has some nice restaurants and cafes. I am looking for the small town life style. I will keep my other places until I decide if I need to go north for the summer or south for the winter, we will see. Economically Fl. and nc are about the same, house prices are higher in nc but taxes are low in both states but HO insurance is cheaper in nc. Let me know if you have other ?'s about fl., etc.

Old 08-19-2011, 10:00 PM

1,142 posts, read 2,137,783 times
I spent 2 months in Florida this past winter and spoke to many people about this. Some people are moving back to be close to family, some people can't take the heat in the summer months and the prices in Florida have been increasing. I had thoughts of relocating there myself but the area I was interested in was mostly retired people and snow birds. I found that being around people of just your age bracket to be boring. The conversations were mostly regarding doctor appointments, medications and what you can do for free in the area. I believe it is much healthier, at least for me, to live in an age diverse community.

Old 08-20-2011, 04:53 AM

2,909 posts, read 4,283,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ1252 View Post
I spent 2 months in Florida this past winter and spoke to many people about this. Some people are moving back to be close to family, some people can't take the heat in the summer months and the prices in Florida have been increasing. I had thoughts of relocating there myself but the area I was interested in was mostly retired people and snow birds. I found that being around people of just your age bracket to be boring. The conversations were mostly regarding doctor appointments, medications and what you can do for free in the area. I believe it is much healthier, at least for me, to live in an age diverse community.

You sound just like my Mother. She moved out of NY 10 years ago when she retired so her money would go farther. A couple years ago she moved back here to CNY very much against my advise. I told her this isn't the NY she remembered, most of the people she knew lived in Florida or NC or wherever. Well she came anyway. She moved a couple times because she didn't fit in with the young welfare/drug crowd downtown but finally found a place that was safe (well safe by NY standards, the police chief was fired for his baby grandson having meth in his system, a a 6 YO was murdered there 3 weeks ago and of coarse the Craigslist Killer was born and raised there). But all the safe people were old to her. Cracked me up my Mother complaining about old people. Doctors this and whats the hot new medicine, talking about the grandkids and so on. So she moved to a state with more young people and she is super happy now.

Me I figger on moving to Florida and being one of "those" old people one day. Black socks up to my knees and the whole 9.

Old 08-20-2011, 05:50 AM

94,194 posts, read 125,054,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
You sound just like my Mother. She moved out of NY 10 years ago when she retired so her money would go farther. A couple years ago she moved back here to CNY very much against my advise. I told her this isn't the NY she remembered, most of the people she knew lived in Florida or NC or wherever. Well she came anyway. She moved a couple times because she didn't fit in with the young welfare/drug crowd downtown but finally found a place that was safe (well safe by NY standards, the police chief was fired for his baby grandson having meth in his system, a a 6 YO was murdered there 3 weeks ago and of coarse the Craigslist Killer was born and raised there). But all the safe people were old to her. Cracked me up my Mother complaining about old people. Doctors this and whats the hot new medicine, talking about the grandkids and so on. So she moved to a state with more young people and she is super happy now.

Me I figger on moving to Florida and being one of "those" old people one day. Black socks up to my knees and the whole 9.
Come on man. If you think NY is bad(especially Upstate NY), then you would be in for a surprise in regards to FL and other Southern states.

Old 08-20-2011, 07:15 AM

Dude the median age difference between NY and Florida is 2 years.

Florida has many places set aside for older people so if you avoid those ares the people are much younger.

If one avoids retirement communities in Florida and colleges in NY the day to day people are much younger in Florida.

And in Ny younger people tend to be the 6 kids EBT types. Florida has more of the going to work getting by types I'm more comfortable around.

Old 08-20-2011, 09:29 AM

94,194 posts, read 125,054,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
Dude the median age difference between NY and Florida is 2 years.

Florida has many places set aside for older people so if you avoid those ares the people are much younger.

If one avoids retirement communities in Florida and colleges in NY the day to day people are much younger in Florida.

And in Ny younger people tend to be the 6 kids EBT types. Florida has more of the going to work getting by types I'm more comfortable around.
I was talking about crime. There is plenty of poor folks and those on assistance in FL, if not more so. I wouldn't say that is representative of young people in NY for the most part

Old 08-20-2011, 11:22 AM

That makes it a little harder.

I'm not letting any secrets out when I say most of the crime is in the cities. And Florida has more cities of large size.

So stay out of the cities!!!!! NY, Upstate real bad, has alot of "quality of life" crime. I see a hundred little crimes just on my bike ride home every night. In Florida this kinda crap isn't allowed in the areas that decent people live. The garbage is packed into the cities. And even then the scum can't roam free like it does here. Some parts of Florida cities are real million dollar areas. And I can show you some redneck cracker parts but they know better then to go to the nice areas.

Its fairly easy to avoid being murdered in both NY and Florida. In Florida its much easier to avoid having your house or car broken into. Guess it comes down to comfort level. We are all bothered by violent crime but most NYer's take the petty stuff as a fact of life. Well its not and I personally am not comfortable with what goes on in CNY.

Old 08-20-2011, 11:49 AM

Just for an example,

Troopers: Five arrested in apparent meth lab bust | NBC-WKTV News Channel 2 - Utica News, Weather, Sports - | Local News

If I stated walking now I could be there in about 4 minutes. My daughter could be there in about 20 seconds except she's in Texas thank god.

Just life in a small town in Upstate NY......................
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York