Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2010, 02:02 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,413,802 times

Advertisements

Southern Diver,

Don't let it bother you. Let people say how they feel.

After all, I also know people who despise the northeast and couldn't get back down south as soon as possible too! Would it bother you as much if they were sounding off about the northeast?

I don't worry about what other people think. If I like a place myself, that's all that matters.

Besides, this thread is called "Why do people move back up north after moving down south?"

You know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2010, 07:48 PM

969 posts, read 2,074,618 times
Any posts which state such extreme exaggerations, like these recent ones trashing the south, should not be taken seriously. Clearly a majority of northerners who have moved to the south are very happy there.

A better question than "Why do people move back up north after moving down south?" is... "Why would anyone expect that every single person making a move does so with full preparation and will be completely happy with their move and live happily ever after and never make trashing forum posts about that place?".

Old 11-07-2010, 01:44 AM

19 posts, read 83,269 times
Dear Southern Diver,
I am not "trashing" anyone, rather "telling it how it is", which is just me, and quite quite common with "yankees". It is not my intent to be rude or to offend anyone. This is what I see when I drive from town to town and through neighborhood after neighborhood trying to find a home for my family. I did not say that every single house was like this, but we see them more often than not. My personal experience over the last year and a half with, specifically, Greenville County, SC has not been the best. However, it has been a learning experience, rather than a complete fail. I am very sorry that I have been so disappointed. I was very excited and really wanted to settle here and experience all that I could. Maybe my expectations were too high, as we lived in a very wealthy area of NE Ohio and that my previous exposure of the south was that of more well to do areas of Charlotte, NC and the popular Ohioan vacation destination of Hilton Head, SC.
The school district I attended and graduated from, the same that my children attended before we moved south, has a 99.9% graduation rate and is the top district in that county, as well as one of the top districts in the state. Hardly the case for any district in SC to have that high of a grad rate, and that is a published FACT. If you don't believe me feel free to check it out at www.census.gov or www.psk12.com. Furthermore, please do not quote me if you aren't going to spell what I said correctly. To "shudder" is to shiver or tremble. A "shutter" is a part of a house, usually found on either side of a window.
This forum was based on a question asking "why do people move back up north after moving down south?". I was adding my personal experiences as an answer to this question and I don't believe I have been in any way inappropriate. Are we all not entitled to our opinions, as well as a right to share our experiences that have formed said opinions? Or are we only allowed to say things that don't offend anyone? With that in mind, please realize that the truth is not always pretty, whether you like it or not.
Cordially,

hondagirl96

Old 11-13-2010, 10:57 AM

48 posts, read 202,250 times
Wow, you're post really hit home. We just recently moved down to FL, a suburb of Orlando from Syracuse, NY (baldwinsville). Thought the family and I had enough of the winters, snow, etc. Well we we have been in Orlando since this June (2010) and can not tolerate it here any longer. Between the weather, traffic, crime, people (lack of english speaking people) and price of utilities, we are ready to pack it in and brave the cold snowy winters back in Syracuse. Here it is in November and the air conditioning is still going. We currently rent an apt. (thank God we did not buy a home here) and spend roughly about 350 a month in electricity for a 1400 sq. foot box! I don't care what anybody says, my utilities are way higher down here. My water bill every month is over $60.00 just to name a couple. Thanksgiving is two weeks away and it feels like it's the summer time. Halloween came and went like it was any ordinary day. No decorations, light, nothing on people's homes. Do people not celebrate holidays down here? I can't stand to think what Christmas will be like here. I'll make it through, knowing that by next July we will be the hell outta here. We will be back to beautiful scenery, hot chocolate and sitting by the fireplace, just to name a few things that I am deeply missing. Sorry to diss FL, but I guess it's not for everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grdnrman View Post
I lived in Watertown, NY for some time; I grew up in a small town 25 miles from H2Otown. Thought I didn't like Watertown's winter weather. I used to take a ten day vacation twice a year in Florida during different months over several years. I loved the beaches, the amusement parks, and other tourist attractions. I finally thought I'd like to move permanently to Florida. Florida is the ONLY state I would have considered. I chose Casselberry/Longwood area of metro Orlando. When I arrived in Orlando it was Autumn-October. I thought I had found nirvana. The weather was beautiful=October, November, December, January, a little cooler in February, nice March, beautiful April. Then came May; getting a bit warm/hot! The Summer months=HOT!! Thank goodness for air conditioned buildings & cars! I met a lot of nice neighbors where I lived; everyone was formerly from a different state--Virginia, the Carolinas, Missouri, Michigan, Ohio, etc. Everyone was pleasant--all relocated people. When I would go out to night clubs/dance clubs I'd meet people from all over the country. At times I'd meet someone or individuals who I initially thought, "Gee, this is a nice person who might become a good new platonic friend". Then we'd talk about where we lived. I would say I'm from Orlando suburbs and the other person would say they were on vacation from Michigan, Pennsylvania, Indiana, Illinois or wherever. How disappointing. This new acquaintance wouldn't be around long enough to become a possible friend. I guess that I'm NOT a transient type person=I like permanency, permanent real friends, and permanent home. This happened to me over and over=temporary visiting vacationers/not friends; strike one for living in Florida. Yes, over time I probably would have met some nice people as friends=who knows?? Then, after a while, the beaches & visitor attractions became mundane/less interesting; strike two for Florida. The HEAT/staying indoors for the hot humid Summer, poisonous snakes, bugs, heavy traffic, "sameness" all the time, tornadoes, no mountains, no cool/cold breezes as hot weather relief, and more; strike three for Florida. Florida is okay but moreso as a Winter vacation for me. Floridians, don't be mad at me=I like Florida.

At a certain point I realized that the Winters in NY State weren't as bad as I thought they were. I realized that I missed SO MANY THINGS ABOUT THE NORTHEAST. Among those were: Boston, Cape Cod, the Maine rocky ocean coast, Boothbay Harbor, Ogunquit, Acadia Nat'l Park, visit/tour/sightsee the quaint little villages sprinkled among the numerous valleys of Vermont, Toronto, Philadelphia, Saratoga Springs, Syracuse, Rochester, Buffalo, the Adirondack Mtns., hiking in the mountains or along a lake/stream, driving to the top of Whiteface Mtn. to overlook/see the view of the lakes and other mountains surrounding Whiteface, Lake Placid, Old Forge, Blue Mtn. Lake area, the beautiful Finger Lakes of Upstate NY, the Thousand Islands & St. Lawrence River, Alexandria Bay, Cooperstown NY & the Baseball Hall Of Fame, Howe Caverns, northern beaches, various different foods, Croghan Bologna, Hoffman hot dogs, Steigerwald/Liehs hot dogs/sausages, Gianelli sausage, cheese curds bought directly from a milk/cheese factory, Lake George, Old Sturbridge Village, Mystic Seaport, Genesee Country Village, great highway systems, Autumn foliage, Salmon fishing in the Salmon River/Pulaski NY, cool refreshing breezes, relief from incessant HEAT, making Maple syrup, the beautiful gently rolling land with picturesque farms, riding bikes or walking along country rural roads, museums, farmers markets along country roads & in the city, the vineyards/homemade craftsman furniture/antiques for sale, gentle snowfall, sitting in the livingroom in front of a crackling/blazing fireplace fire making popcorn/warmed apple cider/toasted marshmallos watching the snow fall outside the window, going to orchards to buy apples/peaches/pears/cherries/fruit and to farms to buy tomatoes/cabbage/corn/beans/squash/pumpkins/veggies directly from the farmers, and SO MUCH MORE. Individually these things may not seem like so much, but together they add up to a part of the QUALITY OF LIFE/LIVING for me.

I made the decision to return back to Upstate New York and get a job/settle in one of the larger Upstate cities=Syracuse, Albany/Capital District, Rochester or Buffalo. I returned Upstate NY and over time I applied for various jobs. I was hired for a purchasing department at a large company out in a rural village; I accepted that job. One week later I was offered another job at $50 more per week by a Syracuse employer so I took the Syracuse job instead because I preferred a larger city atmosphere. I've lived in the Syracuse Suburbs for many years every since that time and I love it.

Everyone has to choose what living situation is best/most enjoyable/satifying for them. I'm happy in Syracuse. I do wish that metro Syracuse had more population; maybe about 1,500,000 people--a little larger than Buffalo. I feel that size city offers additional qualities that a smaller city can't provide. But, the quality-of-life aspects that metro Syracuse offers is fine with me.

Old 11-13-2010, 11:04 AM

48 posts, read 202,250 times
I agree.. We live outside of Orlando and hate it here. What part of upstate ny were you. We were outside of Syracuse in baldwinsville. Moving back next july. Can't wait to get outta here!! What a mistake it was coming here

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerbaby112 View Post
Currently live in tampa. I found it to be more expensive and really sh***y compared to upstate ny.

Old 11-24-2010, 10:09 AM

776 posts, read 1,674,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maryann1804 View Post
I agree.. We live outside of Orlando and hate it here. What part of upstate ny were you. We were outside of Syracuse in baldwinsville. Moving back next july. Can't wait to get outta here!! What a mistake it was coming here
Sometimes you realize what you had was not that bad so maybe all your experiences enriched you and opened your eyes as traveling and experiencing different places does for us all. I've been down in FL a very long time for good and for bad. It was magical to get up to the Hudson River Valley to see relatives late last month. Everyone thought I was crazy spending as much time as possible outside during 'cold' 50 degrees sunny days, admiring the rolling hills and peak fall foliage. But I knew for them picking up all the leaves and thinking of the long grey winter just ahead was what was on their minds. The people I must say were all wonderful, friendly and all spoke in English at Wal Mart. If you want real endless heat and humidity with culture shock you really need to go spend some time all the way down in Miami. Trust me even Clermont will look like paradise..

Last edited by JohnVosilla; 11-24-2010 at 10:32 AM..

Old 11-24-2010, 04:08 PM

1 posts, read 6,802 times
I have lived here in miami,fl for 22 years(my whole life) and i am soo tired of miami..it gets old!! I am dying to move up north (ny,boston,etc) a beautiful city somewhere up north. I`m not from up there so not sure where exactly to move. I want to finish school and then head out. Miami has gotten so full of shyt i dont even wana raise my 1 year old daughter here..i hear alot of good things about up north cities..i would love to really have a real winter =)

Old 11-25-2010, 11:06 AM
Whu

22 posts, read 49,201 times
From the FInger Lakes area and living in the St. Pete area... we hate it here. We are constantly trying to figure out how to move back to upstate NY ANYWHERE

Old 12-03-2010, 04:22 PM

1 posts, read 6,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southerndiver View Post
I am a native Southerner and I don't know where Northern transplants come up with these whoppers. And you wonder why a lot of you aren't liked down here.

I find it funny that you Northerners enjoy bashing us for crime rates and horrible schools when those are problems you find all over the country in areas that have high black populations. For you to bash us for those reasons and then in the same paragraph lecture us on our "racism" is pretty hateful if you ask me. Especially since you then go on to compare us to upstate New York where everything is paradise and everyone is white.

As to your point about "no culture".....well, that is obviously relative if you ask me.

I will never understand what goes on in the minds of most Northerners.

Southerndiver .. you seem to think that only places with a high black population have high crime. You are very mistaken. There is high crime everywhere places that have black and places that are only white. And, FYI they have blacks in upstate NY.

I just happened to be on this post because I was considering relocating to the south and not from the north but from the west. I also have no problem with anyones race. I do see however from post like yours that 'yes' there is a great deal of racism in the south.

Old 12-03-2010, 05:02 PM

1,350 posts, read 3,546,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justmeandthee View Post
Southerndiver .. you seem to think that only places with a high black population have high crime. You are very mistaken. There is high crime everywhere places that have black and places that are only white. And, FYI they have blacks in upstate NY.

I just happened to be on this post because I was considering relocating to the south and not from the north but from the west. I also have no problem with anyones race. I do see however from post like yours that 'yes' there is a great deal of racism in the south.
There's still a lot of racism in the south. When you bring it up they don't even bother denying it, they try to justify it by saying something like "there's racism everywhere'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York