Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2009, 07:00 PM

2,403 posts, read 5,241,188 times

Advertisements

I can't believe I almost totally forgot it was the Woodstock 40th anniversary! I finally realized it when I stumbled over a news story. Missing Woodstock is one of my big regrets. Every summer my parents used take me upstate to the Catskills about 40 miles west of Bethel. That summer I dimly recall seeing these multicolored VW microbuses with multicolored people hitchhiking on Rt 17. I heard something about a concert but I wasn't sure what all the fuss was about. I was so close and missed it. 1969 - what a year. The moon landing, the Mets win the world series, the gay right revolution started; everything seemed to go right that year. Every once in a while I smoke a joint and watch the Woodstock DVD to honor that orgy of peace, music, love and joy. Sadly, it was a one off. We've apparently learned nothing since then.

So driving to my upstate home from NYC I decided to make my first impromptu pilgrimage to the site expecting or hoping to see some kind of music event or festivities. I didn't go inside the museum; I really wasn't interested in seeing some old relics behind glass but it would have been nice to see some live music on the 40th. Well, there was some old guy (possibly a Woodstock refugee) with a banjo singing On Top of Old Smokie and some people milling about. Kind of pathetic. I left with a feeling of deep sadness. You really can't go back. Still waiting for that Wayback machine. I'd dial in 1969 without a second thought.

Last edited by geos; 08-16-2009 at 07:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2009, 03:46 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,720,757 times
I knew the anniversary was coming up because at work we've been getting in Woodstock anniversary merchandise like tapestries and pint glasses. Aren't they also coming out with a movie or something soon? Something like "Taking Woodstock" I think, but I could be wrong.

Also, I didn't know there was a museum. I'll have to visit sometime, since I live close enough to take a day trip.

Old 08-17-2009, 05:15 PM

1,301 posts, read 3,579,858 times
I always wonder what people think when they turn up at Woodstock only to find out the concert wasn't actually held there (but in Bethel instead)

Old 08-18-2009, 08:35 AM

2,403 posts, read 5,241,188 times
This will get you there: Bethel Woods Center for the Arts | Official Site

Old 08-20-2009, 08:30 PM

81 posts, read 226,771 times
Quote:
I really wasn't interested in seeing some old relics behind glass but it would have been nice to see some live music on the 40th. Well, there was some old guy (possibly a Woodstock refugee) with a banjo singing On Top of Old Smokie and some people milling about. Kind of pathetic. I left with a feeling of deep sadness.
Umm, not to sound rude but you are aware that there was a not insignificant, sold out, concert at Bethel Woods on the 15th, the 40 th anniversary, which featured several of the original performers (or such as their lineups may presently exist, as the case may be)? I wasn't there but I'm sure if you were there on the right date it would have been pretty hard to miss.

Old 09-17-2009, 01:49 PM

1 posts, read 2,512 times
Yes...it was quite a wonderful 40th Anniversary celebration of Woodstock's concert at Bethel Woods...I believe it was filled to capacity with 500,000 tie-dyed, happy former hippies and lots an lots of younger people too. The show was incredible. In fact, I was thinking (the opposite of the previous poster) that you CAN back again. The feelings were just as mellow and so were the folks. Also, please don't think the museum is filled with old relics - it is an award winning museum with every conceivable happening from the 60's and my daughter and I had to tear ourselves away to go home. It is THAT fascinating and inter-active! Sounds like you are a bit cynical and need a dose of the Museum at Bethel Woods!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York