Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 07:39 PM

26,208 posts, read 49,012,208 times

Advertisements

Referring to the Woodstock that is near Saugerties, NY.

Within the town of Woodstock there allegedly was an area called "Russell's Corners" which became the subject of several paintings by artist George Ault. See Ault's work at this link, then click this link to the gallery.

I cannot find "Russell's Corners" on google maps and assume it's the old name for an intersection of what were the old roads in the early 1940's. Does anyone know what those street names would be today?

EDIT: 2-23-2015 to add THIS LINK to images since the link on the WaPo page is no longer extant.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 05-28-2018 at 10:11 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2011, 05:22 PM

49 posts, read 106,367 times
I am very intrigued by your question. I grew up in Woodstock, NY.

I've looked at Ault's work and, for some reason, I keep thinking back to Old Forge Road. This is a small lane that runs alongside the Dutch Reformed Church that stands on the village green.

I attended that church as a child and I have memories of the side exit leading to a small parking lot, and the lane (Old Forge) with similar barns/structures at the end.

I have no idea if this is, indeed, the location, but it keeps creeping into my head.

Old 03-23-2011, 09:55 AM

40 posts, read 153,301 times
The painting of the barns looks like it might have been in the vicinity of the old Wittenberg PO where rhe road from Bearsville intersects the road from Glenford. It is hard to tell since most of the barns that were in Woodstock in the 1940's are now gone and some were even gone by the 1960's and 70's when I started visiting the Woodstock area

Old 05-23-2011, 04:43 PM

1 posts, read 4,722 times
Default George Ault

To me, the location looks like the corner of Lower Byrdcliffe and Rock City Rd.

The barn on the far side of the street is where Folk Art used to be.

Old 05-23-2011, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucy leeman View Post
To me, the location looks like the corner of Lower Byrdcliffe and Rock City Rd.

The barn on the far side of the street is where Folk Art used to be.
Lucy, thanks, you nailed it. I did a google maps drive by and found THAT white house with the twin dormers right on the edge of the road, as in this painting. How nice that it's still there.

If I did it right, here is the google street photo.

Old 05-26-2011, 07:03 AM

49 posts, read 106,367 times
Yes! That is the place I believe.

I remember going into Folk Art with my mom as a young girl. I wish I could remember the name of the woman who owned it.

Old 12-09-2013, 09:15 PM

1 posts, read 3,287 times
Default Russells Corners

I grew up in Woodstock in the 60-70s and am pretty sure I know Russells Corners,,They are what used to be (before rte 375 was straightened) the magnificent (for driving) ess curves just passed Maverick Rd. on rte 375 ending about where Tischler dental is today Several red barns were precariously just there to stop you if you got out of the racing line. These barns were burned (some say by the racers-who knows) in I believe the 80s AND THEY WERE KNOWN AS THE RUSSELL BARNS-Owned by the ussell family. Thanks B MacShane

Old 02-23-2015, 06:47 AM

1 posts, read 2,507 times
Yes Lucy you are correct that is the location: Rock City Road and Lower Byrdcliffe. However he has shifted the buildings around a little. He has also adjusted the angles from which you see some of these buildings. One of those buildings (the red one next to the white barn--an old blacksmith shop) has been torn down. See "George Ault: The Woodstock Years" by Eila Kokkinen, Woodstock Art Association, 2001.

Old 05-27-2018, 11:49 PM

2 posts, read 1,573 times
Default Russell's Corners

I went to the DeYoung Museum in San Francisco today to view the Exhibition, "Cult of the Machine" and saw George Ault's "Daylight at Russell's Corners" and "Bright Light at Russell's Corners". Quite distinctive paintings that leave a powerful impression. I went researching Russell's Corners in Woodstock and came across your thread. Thank you for locating it! I also found a post from Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art with an article, "Greetings from Russell's Corners on George Copeland's Birthday" dated Oct 11, 2017. The author also located the site of the paintings as Lower Byrdcliffe Road and Rock City Road in Woodstock. Here's a link to the article:
https://crystalbridges.org/blog/gree...ults-birthday/

Old 05-28-2018, 10:15 AM

FXDeRosa, welcome to City-Data and thanks for the updated info and new links.

That old white house by the road still stands and is exactly the sort of old building my wife and I love to visit, along with old defunct mental institutions, hospitals, train stations and the like. Key for us is OLD places, rich in history and architectural touches like pocket doors, amazing woodwork, and other touches. I'm a sucker for history.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York