Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 03:41 PM

1,293 posts, read 5,001,968 times

Advertisements

Looking for the best places to camp. ONE campsite per post, so list your favorite. Give a reason why, and a picture if possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2009, 12:02 AM

3,633 posts, read 5,360,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese9988 View Post
Looking for the best places to camp. ONE campsite per post, so list your favorite. Give a reason why, and a picture if possible.
New York State Parks :: Glimmerglass State Park

Glimmerglass State Park- Cooperstown

Old 04-29-2009, 11:54 AM

1,492 posts, read 3,646,853 times
Quote:
Ours hands down is Brennan Beach. It's a nice large campground on Lake Ontario in Pulaski. It's also right on the mouth of the Salmon River. We've been going there for 20 years. My hubby fishes right off the beach for salmon and has caught many that way. The campground has plenty of activities, pools that are clean and nice sized campsites. I've never had a bad camping experience there ever.
Attached Thumbnails
Best place to camp in NYS-salmon-fishing.jpg  

Old 04-30-2009, 05:09 PM

93,521 posts, read 124,263,512 times
There's one in Old Forge I liked, but can't remember the actual name of the campground.

Old 05-01-2009, 09:25 AM

1,544 posts, read 3,623,741 times
Quote: ckthankgod:There's one in Old Forge I liked, but can't remember the actual name of the campground

It's probably Nicks Lake. That was my first camping trip. Another campground in nearby Inlet is Eighth Lake. Both are great places to visit in the summer and don't have the congestion of Lake George and Lake Placid. Old Forge can get crowded in the summer due to Enchanted Forest (a large amusement park) and the area's relative proximity to population centers like Syracuse and Utica, however this is very mild compared to the eastern Adirondacks. If you want something more remote, I'd suggest Lake Eaton in Long Lake. The campground has many waterfront sites and is about 2 miles from Long Lake which has a small grocery store and excellent boating. Raquette Lake is between Long Lake and Old Forge is another good option.

Here are some links:
Eighth Lake - NYS Dept. of Environmental Conservation
Nicks Lake - NYS Dept. of Environmental Conservation
Lake Eaton - NYS Dept. of Environmental Conservation

Adirondack Old Forge, New York for camping, hiking, biking, swimming, skiing, water park, cruises, trains
Enchanted Forest Water Safari, New York̢۪s Largest Water Theme Park, Old Forge NY, in Adirondacks, New York Amusement Park
Adirondack Museum - History is in our nature

If you decide to visit this area of the Adirondacks, I would strongly recommend the Adirondack Museum which provides an excellent history of the park as well as interactive exhibits and artifacts.

Old 05-01-2009, 10:56 AM

Here is my favorite:

Red House at Allegany
New York State Parks :: Allegany State Park - Red House Area

I think I went there six years in a row up until a few years ago. Many lush rolling hills, a lake with a beach, waterfalls, many hiking and bike paths, cabins, tents, lodges, museums, a very nice place.

Old 05-01-2009, 11:05 AM

1,544 posts, read 3,623,741 times
Quote:
Here is my favorite:

Red House at Allegany
New York State Parks :: Allegany State Park - Red House Area

I think I went there six years in a row up until a few years ago. Many lush rolling hills, a lake with a beach, waterfalls, many hiking and bike paths, cabins, tents, lodges, museums, a very nice place.

I went to Allegany State Park last year en route to a family reunion in Alfred. Nice place. The grounds were mantained impeccably.

Old 05-01-2009, 09:09 PM

NYS also allows you to do online reservations.

https://newyorkstateparks.reserveamerica.com/

Old 05-02-2009, 06:19 AM

1,301 posts, read 3,582,753 times
Brown Tract Pond near Raquette Lake is very nice. It's a longish drive down a dirt road, but few crowds. Bring plenty of supplies, though.

Old 05-05-2009, 11:22 AM

107 posts, read 507,688 times
I spent an amazing night HERE in a lean-to on South Lake in the West Canada Lakes wilderness. Hike in ~8 miles. Lean-to was 15' from the lake. Heard loons all evening and into the night. The only other sign of civilization was a single set of boot prints in the mud on the main trail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York