Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 10:48 PM

719 posts, read 1,558,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Um, the census was done in 2010, not 2005

And, the largest MSAs in upstate have all shown continued population loss, including the Buffalo, Rochester, and Syracuse MSAs from 2000-2010.

Some growth in places like Albany and Ithaca is not enough to counteract the general trend of a shrinking population upstate.

Getting back to this thread, things like high property taxes, sales taxes, and corporate taxes keep people and companies away, and make current companies in NY consider moving their operations elsewhere. High property taxes also hit people on fixed incomes like retirees, especially when assessments are done infrequently.

Just look at what happened in syracuse recently:

Syracuse shocks property owners with 10 to 50 percent assessment hikes | syracuse.com
Chop,
In the 2 largest cities in NYS out migration of college grads has slowed and is trending back towards positive. Brookings - Quality. Independence. Impact.
This is a very positive sign IMO.
Upstate, even with the taxes, has a fantastic quality of life with a very reasonable COL. Why be so negative?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2011, 02:38 AM

94,298 posts, read 125,243,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigD_JT_14221 View Post
Chop,
In the 2 largest cities in NYS out migration of college grads has slowed and is trending back towards positive. Brookings - Quality. Independence. Impact.
Upstate, even with the taxes, has a fantastic quality of life with a very reasonable COL. Why be so negative?
Exactly, but people get caught up on pre 2008 growth which would carry the weight of growth for the decade. Like this article shows, migration has slowed and other counties have seen growth like Ontario, Madison, Warren, Clinton, Jefferson, Washington and Seneca. So, many people have just moved to other counties as well.

Also, people need to challenge assessments instead of just taking the word of the town or city they live in. You can actually get it reduced in many cases.

Old 02-01-2011, 05:28 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,389,462 times
Quote:
Chop,
Maybe you missed the original post I was responding to:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
If only manufacturing wasn't leaving the country, let alone NY. It's time to look into other industries, more education, build off of growing industries like engineering and use the many colleges to the state's benefit, among other things. My statement about growth is about how people will complain about something. It is ironic that someone in FL is talking about jobs and growth considering the unemployment rate and that state showing a net population loss in the last couple of years.
I didn't start the negativity in this thread. In fact, everything I've posted is backed up by links.

A wonderful quality of life means different things to different people. If you like 4-5 months of snow, good for you. If you like a quieter lifestyle with a small young professional population, great. Not for me though.

Old 02-01-2011, 06:42 AM

9,337 posts, read 16,724,934 times
Quote:
Besides, why are you trying to focus this on FL, instead of addressing NY's problems or the issue of this thread, which is NY's high property taxes?
ChopChop0, could you explain to me why you are so focused on bashing NY? Especially upstate? Do you actually live there or in FL?

Old 02-01-2011, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
ChopChop0, could you explain to me why you are so focused on bashing NY? Especially upstate? Do you actually live there or in FL?
He lives in FL and lived in Upstate NY for a little while.

Also, everything others have said has been backed up with links. So, it's not like people are pulling things out of thin air. I don't know where you got the 2005 reference from and the reality is that manufacturing is largely leaving the country, let alone NY State.

I also find it ironic that someone from FL would pick on NY considering it's recent bust in terms of housing/foreclosures, higher unemployment rate, higher overall crime rate, a higher percentage of non-taxpayers(which is turn puts more of the burden on those that work and that shows that they contribute less in terms of federal funding) and the cost of living is actually on par with Upstate NY, if not more costly depending upon where you look, in spite of our higher tax rates. That doesn't have anything to do with being negative, but if you are going to get on NY for it's taxes, which is fine, then I would think one would reside somewhere that at least has lower cost of living or doesn't have so much of it's own things to deal with.

Old 02-01-2011, 09:23 AM

719 posts, read 1,558,736 times
Quote:
Maybe you missed the original post I was responding to:

I didn't start the negativity in this thread. In fact, everything I've posted is backed up by links.

A wonderful quality of life means different things to different people. If you like 4-5 months of snow, good for you. If you like a quieter lifestyle with a small young professional population, great. Not for me though.
You're right Chop. You are absolutely entitled to your opinion and I completely support your right to express it here.
I guess I see upstate as half full, not half empty. I live in the sunbelt now and I sometimes wish I never moved away from WNY. The grass is not always greener. But I have a good job, nice home, etc, so I'm happy here for now.
I like to comment on the NY boards and read them and I guess I get frustrated with the negativity at times. That's not to say I don't understand the challenges in NYS. It's not for everyone but I loved it there and would love to return someday.

Old 02-01-2011, 10:08 AM

Quote:
You're right Chop. You are absolutely entitled to your opinion and I completely support your right to express it here.
I guess I see upstate as half full, not half empty. I live in the sunbelt now and I sometimes wish I never moved away from WNY. The grass is not always greener. But I have a good job, nice home, etc, so I'm happy here for now.
I like to comment on the NY boards and read them and I guess I get frustrated with the negativity at times. That's not to say I don't understand the challenges in NYS. It's not for everyone but I loved it there and would love to return someday.
Basically.......

Old 02-01-2011, 10:38 AM

995 posts, read 2,733,915 times
That tax map is one more reason why NY residents such as myself are either moving westward or down south.

Old 02-01-2011, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelazyone View Post
That tax map is one more reason why NY residents such as myself are either moving westward or down south.
To where? No big deal though...

Old 02-01-2011, 07:40 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,389,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
Did you read the title of this thread?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York