Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 04:11 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,595,306 times

Advertisements

I want to know who says that upstate "subsidizes" downstate? Nobody says that. The argument of how Upstate gets screwed over by downstate with taxes and the whole political make-up of the state is that our huge tax burden is mostly from STATE mandates...mandates that were made by politicians FROM downstate FOR downstate (NYC especially). We don't think we are "Subsidizing" downstate in getting less money from the state than we put in; but we are getting screwed over by the state in the fact that the taxes are so ridiculously high to begin with. NYS is fairly un-business friendly because NYC had to make it that way to deal with the demand of being "the center of the universe"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2009, 10:17 AM

36 posts, read 191,445 times
Default Gasoline Tax

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
There's also the weather and roads. It costs a FORTUNE to clear and salt roads in the winter. Those roads take a beating and need to be repaired and replaced frequently.
New York also has the highest gasoline tax in the nation at 41.3 cents a gallon. Big surprise there, right? Maybe the state could give back some of that to the counties, villages and towns to help defray road maintenance costs. That would lower our property taxes.

Here are gasoline tax rates for some surrounding states:
NJ = 14.5 cents (NJ gasoline is usually 30 cents a gallon cheaper than NY)
VT = 20 cents
MA = 23.5 cents
PA = 32.3 cents
CT = 34.3 cents

In South Carolina it is 16.8 cents and North Carolina is 30.2 cents.

These figures are from The Tax Foundation.

Old 02-07-2009, 05:43 PM

425 posts, read 1,093,461 times
All I can say is that I paid almost as much in taxes in Kansas as we do in NY. The roads were never plowed there, the crime was horrible, the kids were practically illiterate, and there was no public transportation. When we had an ice storm a few years ago, people were without power for a month. That just wouldn't happen here.

I don't understand - I hated living in Kansas, so I left. If people think living in NY is so bad, why do they stay?

Old 02-07-2009, 10:55 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,088,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellie C. View Post
If people think living in NY is so bad, why do they stay?
Family ties, job changing costs (e.g. state certifications), hard to sell real estate, etc. Lots of reasons.

Some people don't understand that their problems are their own. Others are just stuck one way or another.

Old 02-12-2009, 06:46 PM

Default Why They Stay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellie C. View Post
I don't understand - I hated living in Kansas, so I left. If people think living in NY is so bad, why do they stay?
I bought a business and moved to New York in 2005. I live near a small town along the Hudson River about 10 miles east of Saratoga Springs. I like it here.

That doesn't mean that I have to accept high property taxes, high school taxes, high electric rates and incompetent, dishonest representatives in Albany. I am going to stay and fight and try to make a difference.

NY has the highest local property taxes in the nation. Lots of groups are trying to fix this including the NYS Commission on Property Tax Relief and Attorney General Andrew Cuomo. Read the reports on their websites to find out about consolidating local governments and school districts. It can be done. We don't have to lead the country in high taxes.

Read what Common Cause has to say about Albany and ethics reform. They are fighting back too.

We New Yorkers deserve a better government than we've got.

Old 02-12-2009, 08:53 PM

1,293 posts, read 5,000,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadedWest View Post
Family ties, job changing costs (e.g. state certifications), hard to sell real estate, etc. Lots of reasons.

Some people don't understand that their problems are their own. Others are just stuck one way or another.
I left NY and came back, except I live in Rochester instead of Buffalo. I think the quality of life is better, and at least for my wife and I, if you include the taxes its still cheaper to live here. The housing prices upstate are very cheap!

Old 02-24-2009, 11:18 AM

Default Cost of Living in New York

The financial news network CNBC ranks New York State as the most expensive state in the nation in which to do business. Forbes ranks the state 49th in its business cost rankings. CEO Magazine ranks us 50th and the national Small Business & Entrepreneurship Council ranks New York State’s tax burden 44th.

New York also ranked 46th in costs of basic essentials, food, housing and energy.

Only Alaska, New Jersey, California and Hawaii ranked higher in the costs for basic essentials.

I love New York. It is a beautiful state. I want to make it a more affordable place to live.

Old 04-18-2009, 06:23 AM

5 posts, read 12,447 times
what part for new york, long island has to do with what police & county, schools & staff get paid.
last I heard police in Suffolk get paid 105,000 a year. school teachers start out at 60,000.

Old 04-18-2009, 12:50 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,646,131 times
We have been trying to leave-but because of family who's elderly we can't. Our future here is bleak. My spouse has been out of work since June-we also had a serious auto accident that caused him multiple fractures. He's been trying to find work in HVAC since he went back to school to learn that since the concrete industry is struggling that he was in. I fell and fractured my ankle in 3 places and since I work for a school district, we don't have disability insurance through the disticts( I drive a school bus) and aren't eligible for any help because my spouse has a retirement. Course the government is holding it's hand out for the pre-penalty tax because we both under 45 and that's our only means right now of survival. To us-there's NOTHING worth it here to stay in NY. But having a 85 year old parent who won't move away-it's slowly wearing us down to nothing because of the cost of living here.

Tell me what is so great about paying out over a $1000 for two months of electric and gas to heat and light our home? Central Hudson has become the biggest rip off known to mankind. We even cut WAY back and still paid more for it. It NEVER ran me more than $500 in the winter-then in the last 2-3 years-we've been screwed. Our property taxes are out of control. I pay village, town and school-3 where most pay just town and school. We were living on a salary of 50,000 for a family of 5. If we lived anywhere else on that type of money, we'd be doing much better. In NY-Dutchess county-it's barely enough to survive. I pay $155 for a CDL drivers license. My spouse pays $75 or better for a hunting/fishing license. Every governmental agency has it's hands in the pot.

Why is it NY'ers take it all the time. It's time to stand up and really make some noise. It's also why most of my kids friends aren't staying in NY after college-they can't afford it-where are the jobs? As to education? It's a joke. Regents is antiquated. It gets one NO WHERE outside of NY state. Out of state schools couldn't care less about it. Our district is looking at a budget of over $180 million! That's WAY out of control and we've got two junior highs and both have been on the failure list for 5 years! That's a lot to spend. Back in 2001-our one high school's senior class-40% didn't graduate on time! Tell me again how great the education is here. It's NOT!

Old 04-18-2009, 04:33 PM

1,069 posts, read 1,622,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johntedder View Post
New Yorkers pay the highest property taxes in America.
New York property taxes are 78% higher than the national average.

New York schools outside of New York City spend more per student
than any state in the nation – an estimated $18,768 in 2008-09.
New York’s per student spending is more than 50 percent above the national average.

The New York State Commission on Property Tax Relief recently
released their final report with recommendations on how to fix this.
It is an excellent report that is very interesting reading. You can read it here.

Read the report and spread the word. New York needs to start implementing these changes now.
If you live in New York City and own a house, the taxes are much, much, cheaper. For example: We own a huge, one-family house in one of the 5 boros, with a two-car garage, and the taxes are less than $4,500, per year. The same house in New Jersey, and will be about $15,000 per year.

But, other areas of New York, have different-tax-rates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York