Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 11:44 AM

707 posts, read 1,469,207 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Same thing in NY

How to Get a High School Diploma in New York | eHow.com

The fact of the matter is, there are good high schools in BOTH states, but FL taxes you a whole heck of a lot less.

America's Best High Schools: The List - Newsweek

I went to one of the top schools on the list in FL, and have done quite well afterwards.

As an unschooled student I know its IMPOSSIBLE to get a highschool diploma via virtual school or homeschool. You must get a GED in NYS. Many studies do not include those with GED'S.

You need to take Regents to get a diploma..

Many of those who virtual school and homeschool do it so they dont have take a regents because many parents dont believe in such tests.
I actually cant believe you linked ehow. seriously ive created a site on there.

My Husband is back in college here to get another degree in a different field. The stuff professors are talking about they say he should have learned his 9th grade year of school if he went to school here in NYS. He didnt learn this stuff until his freshman year of college.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2011, 12:19 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,371,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerbaby112 View Post
so? Did you even read the link? Education-portal.com is a REAL website.

High School Diploma in New York

You Were Matched With 2 Schools:

School Matching Criteria:
  • Degree Level: High School Diploma Programs & Degrees
  • State: New York (NY) Schools
  • Online Learning Options Included
So yes there are 2 schools that allow you to get a HS diploma ONLINE in NY.

Old 02-04-2011, 12:21 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,371,411 times
Gotta love the selflessness of these NY teachers' unions... How many of you are getting 2.2-3.6% raises every year during the great recession?

Liverpool school teachers, staff won't take pay freeze to help district avoid some layoffs | syracuse.com

Quote:
Liverpool, NY -- The United Liverpool Faculty Association — which represents 1,000 employees of the Liverpool school district — will not agree to a voluntary pay freeze for next school year, said union president Pattie Miller.

Miller, who meet with union members Thursday evening, said the members feel that the current pay raises “are really fairly minimal.” The current contract calls for a 2.2 percent raise in 2011-2012.
Quote:
Liverpool Central School District Superintendent Richard N. Johns asked all district employees Jan. 24 to take a voluntary pay freeze next year to help balance the budget. Johns said the action would save the district about $1.4 million.

Johns, who offered to freeze his own salary, said Thursday he was disappointed by the union’s decision. The union represents about 1,000 teachers, teacher aides, teaching assistants, per diem substitutes and clerical staff. The district employees 1,320 people.
Quote:
Last year the district cut 130 positions that resulted in about 80 layoffs in teachers and support staff. The budget for the 2010-2011 school year was $131,277,809.

Johns said he has talked with school district administrators, who are not affiliated with a union, and they have agreed to the pay freeze. Johns will unveil his proposed budget to the school board Feb. 28.

Old 02-04-2011, 01:11 PM

707 posts, read 1,469,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
so? Did you even read the link? Education-portal.com is a REAL website.

High School Diploma in New York

You Were Matched With 2 Schools:

School Matching Criteria:
  • Degree Level: High School Diploma Programs & Degrees
  • State: New York (NY) Schools
  • Online Learning Options Included
So yes there are 2 schools that allow you to get a HS diploma ONLINE in NY.

You should do research both schools listed say that you must be 17 years of age or 18 years of age or older.

Ashworth College

Minimum eligibility requirements
    • Must be 17 years of age or older
Penn Foster High School

Minimum eligibility requirements
    • Must be 18 years of age or older

Penn Foster and Ashworth College are both not regonized by NYS Colleges. They both are Colleges like University of Phonexic. Basically a Scam.

[SIZE=1] [/SIZE]Penn Foster is licensed by the Pennsylvania State Board of Private Licensed Schools. You get a PA diploma not a NYS diploma and with Ashworth you recieve a Georgia Diploma.
[SIZE=1][/SIZE]
[SIZE=1][/SIZE]

So the question is did you even read any information about those so called "Schools"

Old 02-04-2011, 01:49 PM

19,310 posts, read 17,193,101 times
Back to the original question. I think the tax issue is 2 fold, too many layers of goverment and too much cost/excess for services.

Old 02-04-2011, 03:18 PM

9,329 posts, read 16,704,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Also, in terms of taxes, you also get services that the taxes pay, that in FL you have to pay HOA's for. So, you pay for it in one way or another.
Don't forget the cost of homeowner's insurance, especially if you live within 10 miles of the water! Friend who has lived on the water for years and years can't even GET homeowner's insurance in FL. We may have snow, but we don't have hurricanes where we can lose everything we have.

Old 02-04-2011, 05:46 PM

93,996 posts, read 124,814,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
Don't forget the cost of homeowner's insurance, especially if you live within 10 miles of the water! Friend who has lived on the water for years and years can't even GET homeowner's insurance in FL. We may have snow, but we don't have hurricanes where we can lose everything we have.
True, as NY's natural disaster risk is pretty low and this is mentioned on the General US forum.

I actually agree that the Liverpool SD situation and the overlapping of services are crazy at least to some degree. It's still odd that with the overlapping of services that many parts of the state are still on par with more affordable metros in the South.

Old 02-04-2011, 07:56 PM

4 posts, read 6,498 times
Default It's all relative

I have lived in upstate NY for 25 years but have recently relocted due to employment.

I saw someone post that you have to take regents classes to get a dipolma. That is not true. You have the option of going for a local OR regent's diploma. However, the school highly recommends the regents. In order to attain a regents diploma you have to get better grades and take a few extra classes. It really was not that hard to get. I do remember that the kids who ended up getting the local diplomas were labeled as "dumb" though.

As for taxes. Our house in upstate NY was assessed (not appraised) for 110K and our taxes were 3,500 so our payment was roughly $1100. To find a comparable house in the south (ie. good neighborhood, land, good paying job) we paid 200K. Taxes are only $1000 a year, however in the end we have the same pymt. If I were to move to a different area where the housing was cheaper, I might not be able to find a good paying job. You know what I mean?
When we lived in NY we complained about the taxes, which yes-they are high, but we did see better quality of surroundings in at least our area. Here, the roads are poorly maintained-usually with no street signs, no shoulders. No snow removal. There is also a pathetic police force and fire department. A house in our neighborhood burnt to the ground because it took them 45 min to get there (and we live 5 min. from the station). That to me is ridiculous. In any subdivision in NY you will see fire hydrants. There are none in mine. Anyway, all I am trying to point out is that YES the taxes are really high, but at the same time, most of upstate NY has cheap housing and so it evens out. And usually you can find cheap housing relatively close to a major city (ie, Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse) for good jobs as well. Rochester is headquarters to Kodak, Wegmans, Xerox, and Bausch and Lomb I believe. They also have great colleges, RIT, University of Rochester, Cornell. Great Hospitals. And lets not forget to mention, the maple syrup, great fruit and vegetable markets, vineyards, farms, plentiful natural lakes, and great soil (all I have is clay ). Unfortunately, the businesses are not doing too well right now-all over the country- and people have no choice but to leave.

Also, most of the direction of NY is decided by downstate during election time because of the sheer amount of people in that region.

Last edited by aim25; 02-04-2011 at 08:07 PM..

Old 02-04-2011, 08:15 PM

719 posts, read 1,557,147 times
Aim25,
Where did you move to?

Old 02-04-2011, 09:37 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,697,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
Thank you, we WILL continue to live in NY/NJ, pay taxes and BE HAPPY. With your NY/NJ bashing it sounds like you chose to live in the land of heat, humidity and foreclosures but aren't very happy. You should be posting the positive attributes of FL instead of beating on those of us in NY/NJ who are perfectly happy here. All the statistics in the world can't change where a person chooses to call HOME.

Many people who move to FL unless they're retired and can sit inside all day in A/C will tell you they made a mistake.

Especially if they have school age children. You take a 9th grader from NY/NJ and put them in a FL school and they're bored out of their minds.

The problem for many former NY/NJ residents of working age becomes an economic one. They move to FL thinking it will cost less(and to be fair it does) BUT the salaries are much lower.

The problem with FL now is the COL (groceries have always been expensive) keeps going up but the salaries remain low.

So even people who want to move back can't sometimes because they're just scraping by in FL. And home values have sunk so low and there are so many foreclosures it makes selling a house impossible.

FL is ok if you don't have to make a living and can sit inside for 7 months out of the year in A/C and then enjoy a pleasant winter doing outdoor activities.

And BTW FL comes in at #47 out of the 50 states for students completing high school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York