Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 07:10 PM

12 posts, read 117,376 times

Advertisements

Not a problem, thanks for the clarification. That makes sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2009, 01:11 PM

995 posts, read 2,730,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampingMom View Post
MSMC is NOT gated in. My child lived on campus-even though we are local. Even visiting, we'd see people come off the side streets and cut through campus. The lower parking lot is too secluded down by Bishop Dunn and my child wouldn't go over that way at all at night because it wasn't a place to walk safely. For what we paid-$32000 for a year-they should be gated. They spent 100 million dollars on renovations of the school. They should have bought up Liberty Street while they were at it and torn down those homes and added to the campus. Even the upper class dorms aren't gated off from the side streets-they are right ON the side streets.
thank you for this 411. I could have sworn I've seen gates surrounding the school.

Old 04-15-2009, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyFanMA View Post
Not a problem, thanks for the clarification. That makes sense.

Old 04-15-2009, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Ithacan View Post
her's some pics: Newburgh, NY '08 - a set on Flickr (http://www.flickr.com/photos/22001166@N00/sets/72157606913585960/ - broken link)

I was just driving around the main part of the city, not looking for anything special.
great looking pictures. there could be good things happening in newburgh. if only the residents would get their acts together and clean up their city for once and all.

Old 04-15-2009, 02:39 PM

169 posts, read 419,279 times
such a coordinated action on behalf of the residents would only take place if there was a proper way to account, or claim, their labor. Such is an issue of monetary liquidity; perhaps a local currency could best address this problem.

Old 04-15-2009, 10:27 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,648,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelazyone View Post
thank you for this 411. I could have sworn I've seen gates surrounding the school.
No problem. They have faux gate at the main entrance by the soccer field, but that's it. Upper classmen have to park their cars right on the road and it's a fairly narrow roadway too. Some of my child's friends cars got broken into on the street. You also risk being side swiped. The Mount is a very pretty campus, but the location near Liberty Street is the pits. Even the school warns kids NOT to go down there.

Old 06-13-2009, 06:19 PM

162 posts, read 602,422 times
Newburgh wasn't as bad at it looked from what I saw of Broadway, Chambers Street, and South Street yesterday. I did see some drug dealers, but I didn't see any prostitution or violence, and the people were cool once you got past the big guard that a lot of them put up.

The city could probably look like nice again if more cops patrolled the streets, and developments that help the community are built on the numerous abandoned houses and lots, a bus system that runs outside of the rush hours to transport workers wouldn't also be such a bad idea either.

Old 07-05-2009, 07:27 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,879,526 times
Is there any chance that any of these "trends" happening in Newburgh might spill over to New Windsor?

Old 05-12-2010, 11:42 PM

986 posts, read 2,512,215 times
Post An inevitable phenomenon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kart Rider View Post
I've been hearing about how bad Newburgh is from ppl living there. I heard that police up thre is video monitoring PJs 24/7 and there are high drug and prostitutuion problems in downtown. Some even said that it is the worst town in Upstate NY.
How would you company Newburgh to other bad area in NYC and NJ?
Does it have a bad rep just because it's in upstate and surrounded by quiet towns?
Any city with a ------ population over 20% (or so) is likely to be crime-ridden. This is empirically known all over the U.S., despite what the feel-good folks want to tell you.

Old 08-16-2011, 08:54 AM

2 posts, read 6,263 times
I am a single lady in her 60's, I was brought up in a town not to far from Newburgh and remember clearly our trips to Newburgh in the early 50's its beauty and its grace. I also remember when Newburgh declined and then moving away from the area and not thinking about Newburgh for years. Of late thinking about retirement I want to retire to the area and have always loved the old homes. I fell in love with an old house smack dab in the middle of the city...I can see the neighborhood is dicy although the block the house is on is pretty nice. I see the potential in the city but also have heard about the old regime people in government there not wanting anything to change and are at a standstill with the people who want to help to bring Newburgh back to what it was. How I would love to be involved with helping to bring it back but it seems like a very long road ahead and I am affraid of the crime rate and living alone in a house where I may not be safe. I spoke to the police station and they were not very positive about my thinking of the move. Would there even be any big changes in my lifetime that I could enjoy the city that I would like to see but have to look at the city that is for the rest of my life.
I know everyone is going to have their pro's and cons, everyone will have their opinion. Is there anyone who is middle class who lives directly in the city who could give me feed back. I do not want to make the wrong choice and then be sorry.
My dream is to see a rebuilt Newburgh, I am a writer and have very creative thinking and can see so clearly what could be, but I know its not the reality at least not yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York