Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2008, 05:44 AM

8 posts, read 84,355 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone, I am wondering what Rockland County is like? Is it more urban than rural? What are the people like? Expensive to live? Is there a lot of crime? A lot of traffic? I currently live in Sullivan County, and I am just thinking of relocating to be closer to school. Thanks in adavance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2008, 06:54 AM

151 posts, read 713,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misschris86 View Post
Hey everyone, I am wondering what Rockland County is like? Is it more urban than rural? What are the people like? Expensive to live? Is there a lot of crime? A lot of traffic? I currently live in Sullivan County, and I am just thinking of relocating to be closer to school. Thanks in adavance!
It certainly is not as rural as Sullivan County. Practically ever available piece of land has been built on, mostly residential. Lots of rush hour traffic but you are never waiting around for too long. It is much more expensive than Orange and where you are.

As far as crime the worst areas are Spring Valley, parts of Central Nyack and downtown Haverstraw. However overall I think the county is probably one the safest in the country. Likely due to it being mainly fairly middle to upper middle class and affluent.

It is also very convenient county to live in since everything you need is in short driving distance. Despite growth there is still more scenic beauty compared to Westchester and even Orange. Particularly towns along the Hudson river like Tompkins Cove, Stony Point, Town of Haverstraw, Congers, Valley Cottage and Nyack. Nyack village is the only real village you can walk to a wide variety of restaurants-cuisine. You can also do this in Suffern to a much lesser extent.

Last edited by jpicard; 10-03-2008 at 07:11 AM..

Old 10-04-2008, 04:32 PM

181 posts, read 1,122,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpicard View Post
It certainly is not as rural as Sullivan County. Practically ever available piece of land has been built on, mostly residential. Lots of rush hour traffic but you are never waiting around for too long. It is much more expensive than Orange and where you are.

As far as crime the worst areas are Spring Valley, parts of Central Nyack and downtown Haverstraw. However overall I think the county is probably one the safest in the country. Likely due to it being mainly fairly middle to upper middle class and affluent.

It is also very convenient county to live in since everything you need is in short driving distance. Despite growth there is still more scenic beauty compared to Westchester and even Orange. Particularly towns along the Hudson river like Tompkins Cove, Stony Point, Town of Haverstraw, Congers, Valley Cottage and Nyack. Nyack village is the only real village you can walk to a wide variety of restaurants-cuisine. You can also do this in Suffern to a much lesser extent.
Pearl River has a very nice downtown too with restaurants within walking distances

Old 10-08-2008, 03:11 PM

701 posts, read 3,325,529 times
It's less rural than Sullivan County, but it's not the least bit urban. Most of the county has low crime. It's very suburbia-- Single family homes built up in the 1960's, on 1/4th - 1/2 acres. Lots of strip malls, big stores, etc, but they are mostly concentrated in a few areas.
There are some poorer neighborhoods with higher crime, etc, but that's not reflective of the entire county.

As a county, it's kind of stuck between being "downstate" akin to Westchester, and being true upstate. You have a fair share of Manhattan commuters, but a lack of good mass transit makes Westchester preferable for commuters that can afford it.

In terms of traffic, all things are relative. If you're going east over the Tappan Zee Bridge at rush hour, you will hit a ton of traffic. Your typical county highways are not super congested, but there are plenty of traffic lights.

Overall, the country definitely does not have an urban feel. Parts of the county have a rural feel, but mostly it's standard suburbia.

Old 10-08-2008, 03:17 PM

1 posts, read 11,427 times
Where do you go to school?

You should stay away from Spring Valley that's for sure. The area is going downhill (crimes, school). New City and Pomona is nice, quite expensive tho..

Most of the people I know are moving to Orange County because Rockland is getting too crowded plus Orange county is still quite affordable comparing to Rockland.

Old 10-09-2008, 11:32 AM

133 posts, read 466,481 times

I've never been a fan of Rockland. Its kind of like a more hilly version of Jersey. I disagree with the previous post saying it is convenient and you can walk everywhere. A lot of Rockland is suburban neighborhoods connected by divided highways/boulavards that are unfriendly to pedestrians. Also the trains stink, which is why so many commuters go to Tarrytown to catch the train.

Old 10-15-2008, 05:19 PM

253 posts, read 808,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeilaJo31 View Post
You should stay away from Spring Valley that's for sure. The area is going downhill (crimes, school). New City and Pomona is nice, quite expensive tho..
Isn't Pomona in the same school district as Spring Valley?

Old 10-20-2008, 06:05 AM

8 posts, read 84,355 times
I will be attending Mercy College in Dobbs Ferry next year. It's about an hour and a half drive from Sullivan County, so it would be GREAT to relocate. However, I need to work as well. So who knows what will happen! Thanks for all of your input!

Old 10-20-2008, 09:11 AM

523 posts, read 1,680,245 times
If you'll be going to Mercy in Dobbs Ferry, then I would consider finding some place to live on [i]that[i] side of the Hudson. Crossing the Tappan Zee every day, even with the flexibility of a student's schedule, will be tiring IMO. Plus, you'll have the added benefit of being close to several Metro North train lines to Grand Central Station if you'd like to go to the city. Those trains run seven days a week and there's lot of them!

Old 02-09-2009, 09:15 PM

6 posts, read 35,672 times
I wouldn't say urban (well maybe some parts of Nyack) and not rural either (except maybe way up on the border of Orange Co.) It's definitely just suburban.

There isn't a lot of crime except in secluded areas- some that come to mind are Spring Valley and Havestraw. It's definitely expensive to live in Rockland and certain areas are prone to traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York