Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2011, 03:41 PM

1 posts, read 10,001 times

Advertisements

We are in the process of deciding on a possible move to New York from Tennessee. DH job would be in Rockland County. We are doing research now on neighborhoods, schools, etc. We have 2 school age kids, so schools are an important part of out decision.

So, give me the pros & cons of both counties.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2011, 04:47 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,677,856 times
Default I lived in Rockland County for almost 30 years

and worked in Westchester. Now I live in Riverdale in The Bronx so I am right near Westchester and am familiar with it as well

I can't really advise you on what would be good for the kids or schools, but I can tell you that Rockland has a very different feel than Westchester. Rockland feels more small townish and is probably less expensive than Westchester, the properties are bigger in Rockland, but since the 2 are so different in feel it's almost a moot point. you can't really compare Eastchester or Tuckahoe with New City or Nanuet, or Stony Point with Mt Kisco, Scarsdale or Bronxville with Piermont. Too different. Hard to explain

Westchester since it's on the other side of the Hudson, has far better transportation to the city. It's more built up, looks and feels more sophisticated than Rockland. Some parts of Westchester are like "LA metropolis USA" wherereas Rockland has less character, IMO

glad to have described to you what I could maybe someone else can help with the family side of things

RLRL

Old 05-24-2011, 04:54 AM

1,418 posts, read 2,546,543 times
Sta away from Stony Point...the property taxes will sink you.

Old 05-24-2011, 05:12 AM

93,240 posts, read 123,876,708 times
Westchester is more urbanized than Rockland. Both counties have good schools and they range in size. Transportation into NYC is more direct from Westchester. If you want more small townish communities, you might like the Rivertowns of Westchester County or places like the Nyacks, Suffern, Orangeburg amd Pearl River in Rockland County. Is there anything specific you are looking for?

Old 05-24-2011, 08:39 AM

715 posts, read 2,508,989 times
OP's job is in Rockland County. Why make it difficult each morning with the insane traffic of Westchester County, just to get over the river? Even though it is technically a reverse commute, Westchester roads are always jam packed. Also, the Tappan Zee Bridge (to cross the Hudson from Westchester [Tarrytown] to Rockland County [Tappan]) has a very pricey toll. Its five dollars in the Westchester direction. I would stick to Rockland County. You will be able to find good schools and neighborhoods in Pearl River, Tappan, Nyack, and the communities surrounding Clarkstown North & South (Bardonia, Congers, New City, Chestnut Ridge). Stay away from East Ramapo CSD - this feeds into Spring Valley HS - avoid Spring Valley.

Old 05-24-2011, 08:45 AM

In that case, stay with Rockland County or maybe go with parts of Orange County or perhaps parts of Bergen County NJ. Nanuet is another nice area of Rockland County

Old 05-24-2011, 09:12 AM

715 posts, read 2,508,989 times
Nanuet has some nice homes, but is also totally commercialized. Route 59 = endless shopping.

Old 05-24-2011, 12:42 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,345,683 times
Working in Rockland? Live in Rockland. Or Orange if you want more rural.

Old 05-25-2011, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamshot View Post
Nanuet has some nice homes, but is also totally commercialized. Route 59 = endless shopping.
True......Older villages/small cities are probably the way to go.

Old 05-26-2011, 10:48 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,083,204 times
I grew up in Rockland and with the commuting situation (cost/traffic) why add that to your lives. Battling the bridge every day is no pleasure and that doesn't include the roads you must travel just to get to the bridge. You should find a town that meets your needs with housing & schools. Regardless which side of the river your on the taxes and cost of living is high!

Good luck in whatever you decide...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York