Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2008, 08:12 AM

10 posts, read 20,679 times

Advertisements

Hi all - I'm looking to move to NYC in around 8 months time from the UK - Work related as I am being asked to open a new office in New York for the firm.

I'm looking for advice on somewhere to live. I have 4 children (all girls! - 2,7,7,11) so I'm looking for a nice area around 45mins-60mins commute from manhat. Fresh/green, Low crime, Good schools for the girls, Nice family place, good shopping for the wife. Budget for house purchase approx $900k so bear in mind when recommended towns/villages.

I have looked at Nassau County? Any thoughts? And is any further 'up' long island too far a commute?

any feedback would be great - Thanks all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2008, 09:24 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,935,675 times
Where is your office located? That is a factor in determining where you might want to look.

Old 08-29-2008, 02:28 PM

Default Office

Not confirmed location of the office. I'll be choosing location of small sub office after 3 months of working from at home office. So literally anywhere is viable. The max 1 hour commute from Manhat is because the office will be located there. Plus for family to visit for shopping etc.

Old 08-29-2008, 04:57 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,935,675 times
The reason I ask is that if you're on the West Side, Long Island or NJ are better, because that's the side of town where the train/bus will let you out.

If you're on the East Side, Westchester is easier....

And you have no idea? Because it could make a 30+ minute difference in your commute each way if you're on the opposite side of town....

Old 08-30-2008, 01:15 PM

Thanks Viralmd, you make a valid point. The main reason the advice needed is open is purely as family location is the most important factor for me. Once I find a nice town/village for my family to settle I will find an office to suit within 6 months of working from home. So if I'm travelling into east or westside its all good. So literally any nice recommendations would be taken on board when we come over for a month to scout towns/villages out. The reason I'm asking the native new yorkers is to try and limit the number of towns/villages to a decent number to check out when we arrive. From looking on line Westchester seems nice and property seems fairly priced. However Long Island looks VERY attractive for the girls in the summer. It's more the fact I don't know about individual towns/villages that would be ideal (low crime, friendly, good schools, nice vibe).

I love NYC having visited in the past but I never left manhatten! I find New yorkers to be 10x more friendly then Londoners (sorry any fellow londoners on here but it's true!!)

Thanks again Viralmd, any advice is most welcome..

Old 08-30-2008, 08:12 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,390,804 times
Long Island is not without its attractions, especially the North Shore towns and some in Central Long Island such as Garden City that have great schools, relatively easy commutes on the LIRR, and low crime. The drawback to Long Island is that it's very built up in many places, and there are a finite number of bridges and tunnels to get to Manhattan, so the traffic can be very bad at times on the highways and parkways, especially when you are close-in to the city. Garden City, Manhasset, and parts of Port Washington are worth considering, but the lifestyle is a little different in these communities and may not be as relaxed as other communities in the region.

I would recommend looking to Westchester since there are some great towns within it that offer proximity to the city, and many similar opportunities for your girls for the summer, though proximity to the beach might be a little longer in some places. If you are into equestrian pursuits, look to Northern Westchester, including Pound Ridge, Katonah, Bedford, and Lewisboro, where you can either have your own equestrian property or proximity to stables. Schools are excellent in this region, and commute is around an hour or so to Manhattan, between 60-70 minutes, depending upon station, but it's very close to a semi-rural atmosphere with lovely towns linking the region. Your price range is not out of line for properties in this region, though some trophy estates go well into the tens of millions, but you can find a nice house in the $900s.

If you do not mind a built-up suburban atmosphere, Lower Westchester has some options. If you want proximity to the beach, look into towns along Long Island Sound, such as Larchmont-Mamaroneck, Rye, and Pelham. Schools are good, but your price range can be on the lower end in some of these areas. On the Hudson shore, there are some nice towns as well, such as Irvington, Ardsley, Hastings, and Croton. Some of these are very close to the city, 30-45 minute commutes by train. Scarsdale has top-notch schools, but $900k does not go too far in the village, and the area can be fast-paced. The same holds true for Bronxville from a price perspective. In the Scarsdale area, not in the village itself, but with the same postal address is Edgemont school district. It's an excellent district, though there is no town of Edgemont, it's an unincorporated area of the Town of Greenburgh.

Shopping in Westchester exists in the villages and towns and then regional malls in White Plains. Some towns have some very smart, local shops that your wife might like and then there's The Westchester Mall in White Plains, complemented by other smaller malls and shopping in nearby areas of White Plans and surrounding jurisdictions. You also have proximity to Connecticut for shopping in Stamford, Greenwich, Ridgefield, and Danbury, which are not far drives from the east and northeast Westchester. Some of the villages have excellent shopping as well, including Bronxville, Larchmont, Scarsdale, Bedford Hills, and Mount Kisco.

Transportation in Westchester consists of three MetroNorth train lines, Harlem, Hudson, and New Haven. The New Haven Line goes along Long Island Sound, the Harlem Line roughly through the center of the county, and the Hudson Line along the Hudson River shore. On the Hudson, there are few access points to the water, due to the train tracks that run right along the shoreline, whereas the configuration of train tracks on the New Haven Line does allow for water access points in Sound Shore towns.

I hope that helps give you some perspective on the region.

Old 08-31-2008, 08:43 AM

Thanks BMWGUY - What a thoughful and well presented reply. I am going to look closely at north westchester as the money for the property seems to go further (re land/plot/location etc). Taking into account your recommended north westchester towns are there equally any westchester towns/villages to avoid??

Old 08-31-2008, 09:54 AM

10,915 posts, read 31,390,804 times
You're welcome! The only areas I would tend to avoid, and it's not from a schools perspective, but because it has a more competitve atmosphere in the town, as opposed to the "country, but smart" aspects of much of the rest of Northern Westchester would be Chappaqua. There are compelling reasons to live there, namely the schools, but they are extremely competitive and might not be the best environment for your family if you don't want that lifestyle. And, parts of Mount Kisco, the town proper, not the postal zip code, do not have the same school performance as areas outside of the town itself, since the 10549 zip code also covers parts of Bedford.

The other consideration is parking at the train station, since some towns have separate fees and regulations at the train station lot, such as the Town of Bedford (Bedford and Katonah), whereas there is a municipal lot in South Salem that allows for the shuttle bus to Katonah station, thus removing the need to park in Katonah proper for the train. And, it's usually much easier to get parking at the station as a town resident, and at a lower fee for permits.

The river side of Northern Westchester is more built-up, which is not in itself a bad thing, but schools outside of Yorktown and Croton/Cortlandt are not on the same ranking as say a John Jay District (Katonah-Lweisboro) or a Fox Lane (Bedford). I would tend to stay to the east of Somers, only because the train runs through Katonah and on up to Goldens Bridge and north on the Harlem Line train. The Hudson Line train is in Croton and Cortlandt on the river, however. Yorktown would require a drive to either place.

Old 08-31-2008, 01:49 PM

939 posts, read 2,680,742 times
Judging from your description of what your family desires, I'd definitely say the North Shore of Nassau County for shopping, commuting, & dining (Manhasset, Port Washington, Glen Head, Sea Cliff, etc.). The Port Washington line of the LIRR makes for an easy commute to midtown Manhattan, a location for an office which will serve you & the family well due to it's proximity to Penn Station & attractions. Also, Nassau County will allow your family to have easy access to some of the most beautiful ocean beaches in the world on the South Shore of LI

Old 09-01-2008, 06:21 AM

Default Thanks

So Northern Westchester and Mid Westchester (all towns named) and the Northern shores of LI (named towns) look like the best options. Thanks guys/girls for your advice.

North Westchester
Mid Westchester
Northshore LI

I'm thinking during the trip I'll visit most towns named. The beaches on LI do appeal. But I would also like a nice plot which is more likely in Westchester! Oh the Woes of choice!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York