Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2007, 07:09 AM

1,999 posts, read 5,003,114 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
Sigh. What are you, an 18 yr old populist? You have no real understanding of what you are talking about. Cajoled the board of directors? I laughed out loud when I read that. Have you ever read the names on the NYSE's board? Not a virgin among them. Those were hard, tough, well-informed people, and they knew full well Grasso was one of the best things to happen to the NYSE. John Thain came in and now the Floor is horse with a broken leg waiting to be put out it's misery.
This thread is about Spitzer, what exactly did Spiters crusade against Grasso accomplish? Nobody can ever answer that. Why don't you cajole us since you are well informed and understand this situation in its entirety.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2007, 08:55 AM

12,270 posts, read 11,353,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samyn on the green View Post
This thread is about Spitzer, what exactly did Spiters crusade against Grasso accomplish? Nobody can ever answer that. Why don't you cajole us since you are well informed and understand this situation in its entirety.
I personally feel Spitzer's attempted prosecution of Grasso was opportunistic, hasn't accomplished much, and may go nowhere now that he's in Albany. Grasso was a convenient punching bag for Spitzer, but Grasso is a big boy, and knows how to fight back. This will never go to court. Too many directors have testified they knew exactly what they doing awarding Grasso his total package, and too many big names will lined up to testify, including our current US Treasury Secretary Henry M. Paulson, Jr. You can bet there is a lot of pressure on the DA's office to make this case go away.

But, you're right, the thread is about Spitzer. I didn't vote for him, but I wish him well. Pataki was a weak governor with no ideas and no imagination and was blown away by the NY Legislature...even his own party defied him. The idea of Pataki for president was ludicrous. I would rather have a strong executive like Spitzer in charge leading the way, even if it's not to my particular liking, rather than competing interests pulling the state every which way...it's not good for NY. Witness the drubbing Dennis Rivera, president of the independent New York hospital workers union, 1199, gave Pataki. That comes right out of our pocket.

Old 02-16-2007, 09:25 PM

1,999 posts, read 5,003,114 times
Good post and nice insight into Pataki who had tepid power for a Governor. I like how you have highlighted how Pataki's power struggles cost the state taxpayers dearly. My main issue with Spitzer is the false image of him portrayed by the media. Looking at it more closely this falsehood portrayed by the media may be more a product of public negligence than Spitzers deception.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
I personally feel Spitzer's attempted prosecution of Grasso was opportunistic, hasn't accomplished much, and may go nowhere now that he's in Albany. Grasso was a convenient punching bag for Spitzer, but Grasso is a big boy, and knows how to fight back. This will never go to court. Too many directors have testified they knew exactly what they doing awarding Grasso his total package, and too many big names will lined up to testify, including our current US Treasury Secretary Henry M. Paulson, Jr. You can bet there is a lot of pressure on the DA's office to make this case go away.

But, you're right, the thread is about Spitzer. I didn't vote for him, but I wish him well. Pataki was a weak governor with no ideas and no imagination and was blown away by the NY Legislature...even his own party defied him. The idea of Pataki for president was ludicrous. I would rather have a strong executive like Spitzer in charge leading the way, even if it's not to my particular liking, rather than competing interests pulling the state every which way...it's not good for NY. Witness the drubbing Dennis Rivera, president of the independent New York hospital workers union, 1199, gave Pataki. That comes right out of our pocket.

Old 03-25-2007, 04:29 PM

7 posts, read 58,140 times
Default What Change?

NY is a mess.. Politicians pander to the unions and the unions expect unheard of benefits and salaries and install the same bought and paid for politicians in office over and over again in NY.. They hand out political patronage positions like candy and fall over each other trying to buy the unions favor handing out money like NY has it..We have the highest taxes and biggest debt in the nation..Our great great grandchildren will be paying the highest taxes in the nation to pay off this debt..You think the union bought and paid for major parties are changing anything..Look at the NY budget and look at the fighting to ONLY add billions more and even add billions more to the billions more..This is change??..Only in your wildest dreams..

Old 03-25-2007, 05:32 PM

368 posts, read 832,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstate Dave View Post
All of Spitzers campaign promises were of the flavor of "We will clean up NY starting on day one". No real specifics and no real details. Even the left leaning Rochester Democrat & Chronicle identified this concern, (yet- they still endorsed him). If Spitzer does all he promised... the poor & middle class will see major tax reductions... and all the revenue will come from those "who aren't paying their fair share". Platitudes to the masses of sheep that actually believe he really cares for them.

NY state politics is notorious for all the closed door dealings and corruption. Brigadier Attorney General Spitzer was all but anointed more than one year before the actual election.... it was fixed in place long before November came around. His wonderful TV commercials said it all... "I didn't prosecute for political gain, I did it because it was the right thing to do". BULL! Not true in New York!

Remember... NY state is the HIGHEST taxed state in the nation. Taxes are more than just income and property and business revenues. We pay for everything... and it's never enough. One of the main reasons businesses and people are continuing to leave this state is directly attributed to the cost of doing business here. Workers Comp and other such fees are huge with low payouts. Business property taxes are massive. There is an ongoing court battle regarding public school funding from State coffers. What can a State Governor do about that? Not much. The tax structure of this state is controlled by the Legislature... and with a 90 some odd percent re-election rate... nothing will be done to fix those issues. And if more tax burdens are shifted to the "wealthy",,, expect even more business and population losses. The wealthy would be any household earning more than $100k. Albany gridlock is exactly what our politicians want. That will not change under Spitzer. Albany gridlock keeps the top dogs in power... and they will not give that up easily.
You are right on the money. I nearly choked when I opened up my property tax bill. Don't get me started on the other taxes......................

Old 03-26-2007, 11:31 AM

491 posts, read 831,032 times
Quote:
Spitzer
Spitzer was the first in 20 years to successfully go after and take bust up the Clear Channel, Sony, BMG and assorted "payola" indee mob controlling 60% of FM radio playlists and just about all major concert arena’s in New York See: http://mediaalliance.live.radicaldesigns.org/article.php?id=116 (broken link)
(The last was the bustup of AT&T in 1984)

Unlike people like Cuomo, Bush, Clintons who kiss there butts with more and more "de-regulation" (AKA Legal Monopoly) in exchange for "favors"
This started with Bill Clintons Telecommunications Act of 1996. The public was told it was help "Baby Bells" and lower phone rates however it created the media monsters buy allowing a single company's to buy up and own up to 35% of Radio, TV and print media in each American city.
Clinton called it a 35% cap however that cap was giving them 4X more then what it was.

Spitzer was not afraid of them (and this was at the time he was running for Gov) This guy has some marbles to go after that "mob" and has my vote.

-Joe

Last edited by Joe L; 03-26-2007 at 11:48 AM..

Old 03-27-2007, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe L View Post
This guy has some marbles to go after that "mob" and has my vote.
-Joe

I hope he staying power. Like I said before, I didn't vote for him, and I don't like him.

But. Albany and NY are a mess. I would rather have a strong executive, even if I don't agree with him, to lead this state. Guys like Bruno and Silver and Dennis Rivera all want to show Spitzer who's boss, and right now, especially from a PR point of view, they're winning, and that's not good for NY.

I hope Spitzer straps his marbles on and starts hitting every media event possible to get his message out, because right now it feels like he's losing control. That's not a good thing.

Old 03-27-2007, 06:42 PM

7 posts, read 58,140 times
Default More Taxes and spending

Well the budget show is almost over from the reports in the paper and what do we get?? We got the "Spitzer Budget" pandering to the public sector with a whopping 7.5% Sate spending increase in the highest taxex sate in the nation and its seems any talk of cutting or "restaint" has evaporated and now we are adding BILLIONS more on top of the "Spitzer Budget".. And a PILE more DEBT to the highest debt in the entire nation..Well so much for reform.. Once again NY piles all the spendign on the public sector who get salaries andbenefits UNHEARD of in the private sector and the private sector gets decimated paying the bill..NY the state that loses the most population and jobs in the entire nation.. Hu Rah!!

Old 03-27-2007, 07:30 PM

506 posts, read 2,282,761 times
Default Did someone say President wanna be........

He is just throwing his weight around so he can throw his hat in the race in the next election....Of course with the Help of his very rich Daddy.........

Old 03-27-2007, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westchester View Post
He is just throwing his weight around so he can throw his hat in the race in the next election....Of course with the Help of his very rich Daddy.........
Nah!!! The man has the charm and personality of a cobra.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York