Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2008, 02:31 PM

11 posts, read 181,834 times

Advertisements

We are considering relocating to Monroe, NY to make my husband's commute to NYC easier. Was looking for anyone who currently does this to see if it is in fact a managable commute? Any positive or negative feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2008, 09:01 PM

OK since I'm not getting any response- anyone live in/near monroe and know anything about commuting to NYC?

Old 03-19-2008, 10:01 PM

151 posts, read 713,745 times
Although I have not tried, it looks like you could pick up the train in Harriman and take it to Secaucus. Then transfer to get into the city.
NJ TRANSIT Rail Lines Map

New Jersey Transit

I have not commuted into the city in years but it used to take me on a good day leaving at 6:00am from northern parts of rockland county about an hour. I am guessing 90 minutes from Monroe by car.

Old 03-20-2008, 06:49 AM

200 posts, read 561,303 times
I live 20 min further west from Monroe on 17 and a client who accessed midtown weekdays regularly made it in an hour and 15. Another who bought a home from me living in the same area has a regular commute to the Bronx of an 1 hour 5. The Harriman train mentioned in another post is located nearby Monroe. Google MetroNorth, schedules, then Westside, then Harriman to Penn Station. It will give you a variety of trip time totals. Of course you have to figure from the destination to your husbands bldg and the distance to the Harriman Station. There is also bus and private commuter van service

Old 03-20-2008, 10:58 AM

Thanks for the input! We've reviewed the mass transit options and it seems good on paper, but real-life can always be different! : )

Old 03-22-2008, 09:02 AM

5,384 posts, read 10,865,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connecticut34 View Post
We are considering relocating to Monroe, NY to make my husband's commute to NYC easier. Was looking for anyone who currently does this to see if it is in fact a managable commute? Any positive or negative feedback would be greatly appreciated.
That would be one heck of a commute... Why do you want to live SO far from NYC?

Old 03-22-2008, 01:37 PM

794 posts, read 1,859,943 times
I live nearby in Salisbury Mills. I have lived in Monroe and have been commuting from OC to New York for the past 17 years. The train ride from Salisbury Mills is 1 hour and 15 minutes. It's a little less from Monroe. I commute to Hoboken and then take the Path train to either World Trade Center or the Light Rail to Jersey City. This adds another 20 minutes. During rush hour, the trains run every 30 minutes and then run longer after the rush. In cases where I need to work late, I can drive to Ramsey New Jersey / RT17 and take the train from there which run more frequently with more flexible schedules. I could also drive to BEACON NY and take that line into Midtown,NY.

You can drive into the city and if you leave at 5:00am can make it in 1 hour 15 minutes, door to door to lower Manhattan. Trip home is longer due to traffic.

Let me know if you have further questions, I'll try to help.

Old 03-24-2008, 05:37 AM

Thank you kbrkr! The train ride timewise sounds very manageable. Quality of life is very important to us- we want to live in a nice home, where we don't live on a postage stamp sized lot and where we can raise our children away from the madness of the NYC area. Are there seats available on the train from Monroe? FYI, in CT the train fills up very fast and sometimes it is difficult to get a seat!

Old 04-28-2009, 06:11 PM

1 posts, read 37,980 times
We moved to monroe (town of monroe) from LI in sep. 2008. I work in NYC and do take public commute. Two methods, bus or train. I take the bus, which I prefer to train, to the city. It takes me approx 1hr 10 min to/from GOLD's Gym in harriman from/to port authority. The parking is free for the bus at the park&ride lot. There are lots of seats in the morning bus (to portauthority, and they turn all the lights off, therefore I can catch up on my sleep The train is bit cheaper (~$50.0) but you have to pay for parking, approx $275 from the harriman station + parking. I haven't applied for the parking permit yet. u can take the train to either hoboken and path to city; or transfer at Secaucus to Penn station. We love the area, good school, quiet life, pretty much everything is close by and yes big lot! If you need any more info. let me know.

Regards.

Old 05-01-2009, 07:10 AM

995 posts, read 2,727,009 times
You could catch an express train from Harriman in be in the city within 1 1/2 hour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York