Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 06:58 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,657,177 times

Advertisements

It is so weird to see Newburgh and Poughkeepsie in the bucolic Mid Hudson Valley.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2011, 04:19 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,870,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Ithacan View Post
Here's some pics of Newburgh I took a couple of years ago. They're mostly the central core of the city, and not very flattering. Sorry.

Newburgh, NY '08 - a set on Flickr (http://www.flickr.com/photos/22001166@N00/sets/72157606913585960/ - broken link)
Its sad because the city could be like a mini Metropolis.... It needs some investments and a Train station...

Old 03-03-2011, 10:02 AM

505 posts, read 2,336,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Its sad because the city could be like a mini Metropolis.... It needs some investments and a Train station...
It needs a lot more than some investments. Train is right across the Hudson...problem they have is they need A LOT more cops to break up what they've got going on there.

Old 03-03-2011, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymarine View Post
It needs a lot more than some investments. Train is right across the Hudson...problem they have is they need A LOT more cops to break up what they've got going on there.
Trains across the Hudson don't do it , you need a Train in your town or city. Developers aren't looking to dump $$$ into towns and cities with a Ferry / Train connection..... The West Shore line was supposed to be in the Studying pipeline but thats on hold. It would run form Hoboken to Kingston,NY servicing a huge commuter base of the Lower Hudson Valley. They expect 60,000 bi-directional commuters , at least thats what i heard form the phase 1 that NJT has agreed to...which is Hoboken to Haverstraw... Aside form Investments like Trains , they need more police like you said and overhauled Education.

Old 03-03-2011, 01:58 PM

956 posts, read 1,208,648 times
More then half of Beacon ridership comes from the west side of the Hudson (Newburgh, New Windsor, Cornwall). Newburgh train station now is Railroad playhouse (Railroad Playhouse) + a pizza shop + café. The ferry + shuttle bus is enough. What would help if the ferry ran outside of the rush hour like the shuttle bus does. The ferry ride takes a shorter amount of time to reach Newburgh than actually driving to Beacon from Newburgh. 9d traffic is HORRIBLE during the heart of the rush hour.

Newburgh needs three things. The FBI office NEEDS to move here from Goshen, the government to STOP sending welfare people here who do nothing, but take up valuable space and most of all JOBS.

Old 03-04-2011, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeHudson View Post
More then half of Beacon ridership comes from the west side of the Hudson (Newburgh, New Windsor, Cornwall). Newburgh train station now is Railroad playhouse (Railroad Playhouse) + a pizza shop + café. The ferry + shuttle bus is enough. What would help if the ferry ran outside of the rush hour like the shuttle bus does. The ferry ride takes a shorter amount of time to reach Newburgh than actually driving to Beacon from Newburgh. 9d traffic is HORRIBLE during the heart of the rush hour.

Newburgh needs three things. The FBI office NEEDS to move here from Goshen, the government to STOP sending welfare people here who do nothing, but take up valuable space and most of all JOBS.
A New Station would have to built , but that goes for all the stations between Hoboken and Kingston. A Bus doesn't bring Investments or Urban Renewal....+ The Hudson line is nearing Capacity Issues....So the West Shore line would help with that and the growing PIP congestion.

Old 03-07-2011, 01:18 PM

667 posts, read 1,745,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeHudson View Post

dead on OrangeHudson. I would add good leadership in all public sectors of the city as a 4th "thing". The lack of vision, integrity, honesty and intelligence by the current 'leaders' of this city is the worst I've ever experienced.

Old 02-01-2012, 09:44 AM

5 posts, read 13,310 times
Hi,

I know this thread is older, but i am thinking of buying an old building in South Street in NEwburgh, i can't figure out if this is the city of newburgh (ie a bit sketchy) or in the town? Can anyone advise?

Has the city become any safer in the last few years since this thread started?

Old 02-01-2012, 05:00 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,135,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annabellrose View Post
Hi,

I know this thread is older, but i am thinking of buying an old building in South Street in NEwburgh, i can't figure out if this is the city of newburgh (ie a bit sketchy) or in the town? Can anyone advise?

Scroll down about halfway down this page:
https://www.city-data.com/city/Newburgh-New-York.html

That's a map of the boundaries of the City of Newburgh, and it looks like all of South Street is within those boundaries (the street turns into South Plank Road after it leaves the city limits)

You can also look at this map, and zoom out to the "county subdivision" level, and it'll give the boundaries of "Newburgh city" and "Newburgh town"

Interactive map: 30 years of census data - The Washington Post

Old 02-01-2012, 05:16 PM

667 posts, read 1,745,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annabellrose View Post
Hi,

unfortunately the City has had some horrible (but merited) press as of late. I see some posts regarding the town of Newburgh but I think it's not a great buy considering most have to attend (are zoned) for City schools which seriously underperform. They have some crime as well in some sectors and personally, I think they lack the charm of other suburb communities. Their RE values have dropped quite a bit in the last # of years and we have friends that can't sell and leave.
Regarding South St. We almost bought a gorgeous brownstone on South Street off of Lander back in 2005, knowing little about Newburgh (although back then the crime was much less ---there had been 1-2 murders). But I loved it's history and architecture and the great views. That South St home at the time was a 4 story beauty but needed a ton of work. I remember saving the notes on my computer and naming the file "divorce city" as I knew it would take more money and energy than we had. Back in 2005 the real estate market was as hot as the latest Facebook IPO. Eventually, the deal fell thru as there were termite issues and the seller didn't want to bring the price down. We ended up buying another home months later in the city.
As we started to figure our surroundings and get better acquainted we realized that South Street area was a hub of drug activity, serious crime and huge Quality of Life issues. I would not recommend buying a home on South Street. IF you want to 'invest' your money/time in Newburgh I would recommend the Grand St/Montgomery St area. Also, Balmville, which is still technically City of Newburgh limits (they also attend city schools) would be a good choice. Many homes are absolutely gorgeous with great views. FYI - we no longer live in Newburgh and are happy to be out to be honest. We now have kids and it;s a whole other ballgame when that's the case. Taxes have gone up and it still has too many issues, which include horrible local government. Corrupt politics blossom in these type of neighborhoods. If I had a couple of million to 'spare', I would buy a bunch of homes by the areas I mentioned and sit on them. There is no doubt that one day that area will rise back up. Just not likely in my lifetime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York