Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old

2 posts, read 10,627 times

Advertisements

Hello. I am a recently separated mom of 1 child, who is in elementary school. I currently live in western Arkansas, and plan on making a move to Endicott, in the spring of 2008, with my child.

I could use help, suggestions, etc. on places to look for housing and employment. Also, information on the city itself, as well as the educational system, would be most helpful.

I'm moving there to be close to family and will be starting from scratch.

I'm experienced in management, business, office (I was a paralegal for 10 years), as well as [some] experience in elementary education.

My sister told me to stay away from the area in which IBM used to operate. Not sure why, but she said it was not a good area.

Is this a family friendly area? Are there many things to do? Finally, could someone direct me to an area where I could have a look-see at crime stats?

Thank you. I know I'm asking a lot, but I believe an informed decision is always the right decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old

1,053 posts, read 3,368,434 times
A lot of your questions can be answered right here... crime stats, weather trends, population, on and on... thats how I accidentally found this place... I believe you just click on the white city-data dot com logo in the upper left hand corner. T&C

Old

4 posts, read 16,914 times
I grew up partly in Endicott and graduated from UEHS in 2002. I didn't go to the elementary schools so I can't speak for them, but I think the high school was great and did a good job preparing me for college. UE was by far the best of the 3 area school districts I went to while growing up. I think Vestal (UE's "rival" - I never went there) has a bit of a better reputation, and Vestal itself is probably the wealthiest area of Broome county.

UE does have a brand new, very nice Elementary school facility at the corner of Taft/Buffalo outside the village in the town of Union. That area is a nice area. Crest View Heights is probably the nicest/wealthiest area, it is part of the UE school district and has its own elementary school, even though it is technically not even in Broome County. West Corners is also nice, it has its own little shopping area, elementary school, and even a little lake.

As for where IBM was, you wouldn't have wanted to live there anyway. It is the poorer part of town, even long before the IBM chemical thing came to light. Just avoid the area around downtown and the area on the north side below Watson.

Old

8 posts, read 20,293 times
Why Endicott? The area is very economically depressed. On the plus side, housing costs are reasonable and you should easily find administrative type work.

IBM is the site of a large underground toxic chemical leak. Plenty of motivated home sellers there!

Old

2 posts, read 10,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zangu View Post
Why Endicott? The area is very economically depressed. On the plus side, housing costs are reasonable and you should easily find administrative type work.

IBM is the site of a large underground toxic chemical leak. Plenty of motivated home sellers there!
Hi! My sister lives in Endicott with her family. I'm moving my dd and I there, to be closer to family.

Old

1 posts, read 5,238 times
Default Mabye I can help you.

When will you arrive in Endicott?m
Quote:
Originally Posted by wandab67 View Post
Hello. I am a recently separated mom of 1 child, who is in elementary school. I currently live in western Arkansas, and plan on making a move to Endicott, in the spring of 2008, with my child.

I could use help, suggestions, etc. on places to look for housing and employment. Also, information on the city itself, as well as the educational system, would be most helpful.

I'm moving there to be close to family and will be starting from scratch.

I'm experienced in management, business, office (I was a paralegal for 10 years), as well as [some] experience in elementary education.

My sister told me to stay away from the area in which IBM used to operate. Not sure why, but she said it was not a good area.

Is this a family friendly area? Are there many things to do? Finally, could someone direct me to an area where I could have a look-see at crime stats?

Thank you. I know I'm asking a lot, but I believe an informed decision is always the right decision.

Old

16 posts, read 41,379 times
is the mafia still present in the area;

Old

663 posts, read 2,263,659 times
Endicott is a great village. I wish you lots of happiness there.

Old

7 posts, read 17,294 times
Taxes are extremely high. NYSEG utility's are extremely high. Lots of robberies and drugs in the village.
Outside of the village it's very nice and quiet. Not the worst area you could choose aside from these things. You may want to also check our Endwell and Vestal. A bit more upper class than the village of Endicott.

Old

93,350 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smcmahon1248 View Post
Taxes are extremely high. NYSEG utility's are extremely high. Lots of robberies and drugs in the village.
Outside of the village it's very nice and quiet. Not the worst area you could choose aside from these things. You may want to also check our Endwell and Vestal. A bit more upper class than the village of Endicott.
I know that Endicott has always been a bit more blue collar, but I thought most of the drama was in the Central Endicott neighborhood, with the rest being OK. It's not flashy or affluent, but still seems to have some steady neighborhoods. I know the Plume area doesn't help either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York