Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2006, 04:07 PM

47 posts, read 283,274 times

Advertisements

Many of you are categorizing everything in NY as "NYC". NYC and the surrounding boroughs are NOTHING like the majority of NY State. The schools in NY are outstanding. You need to be in middle to upper Westchester County as well as Putnam County. That is where you will find Blue Ribbon Schools and the lowest crime rate in the area. Once you talk about Bronx, Brooklyn, area around NYC, etc, those are totally different animals. It is like comparing Las Vegas to Kansas, there is no comparison.

In terms of best places to buy and best places that have good schools, once again upper Westchester and Putnam County. Some of the schools I would recommend:

Westchester County:
Yorktown
Somers
Chappaqua
Briarcliff
Harrison
Rye
Eastchester
Scarsdale
Larchmont
I can go on, many of these towns are very expensive, the towns that combine good schools with affordable houses are hard to find and many of them are really expensive areas but in Westchester you will have luck with certain areas of Yorktown and Somers. Some areas of Mohegan Lake and Cortlandt Manor are also very affordable and have decent schools.

Putnam County you will get less expensive houses and great schools, Mahopac being the top with all Blue Ribbon. Carmel is good, Brewster is good but now you are pushing close to 1 hr north of NYC.

Taxes in these areas are not low but not as high as other parts of Westchester County. Crime rate is next to none.

Once again please do NOT confuse NYC and the surrounding boroughs as an example of what NY is like, it is not even close to that. Many of those cities are used as punch lines in jokes. Many areas of Westchester and most of Putnam County are phenomenal areas to live in and raise kids as well as have houses that will appreciate in value way better than anywhere else in NY.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2006, 09:42 AM

103 posts, read 327,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeTrinch.com View Post
Many of you are categorizing everything in NY as "NYC". NYC and the surrounding boroughs are NOTHING like the majority of NY State. The schools in NY are outstanding. You need to be in middle to upper Westchester County as well as Putnam County. That is where you will find Blue Ribbon Schools and the lowest crime rate in the area. Once you talk about Bronx, Brooklyn, area around NYC, etc, those are totally different animals. It is like comparing Las Vegas to Kansas, there is no comparison.

In terms of best places to buy and best places that have good schools, once again upper Westchester and Putnam County. Some of the schools I would recommend:

Westchester County:
Yorktown
Somers
Chappaqua
Briarcliff
Harrison
Rye
Eastchester
Scarsdale
Larchmont
I can go on, many of these towns are very expensive, the towns that combine good schools with affordable houses are hard to find and many of them are really expensive areas but in Westchester you will have luck with certain areas of Yorktown and Somers. Some areas of Mohegan Lake and Cortlandt Manor are also very affordable and have decent schools.

Putnam County you will get less expensive houses and great schools, Mahopac being the top with all Blue Ribbon. Carmel is good, Brewster is good but now you are pushing close to 1 hr north of NYC.

Taxes in these areas are not low but not as high as other parts of Westchester County. Crime rate is next to none.

Once again please do NOT confuse NYC and the surrounding boroughs as an example of what NY is like, it is not even close to that. Many of those cities are used as punch lines in jokes. Many areas of Westchester and most of Putnam County are phenomenal areas to live in and raise kids as well as have houses that will appreciate in value way better than anywhere else in NY.

They question is...how many of us on answering this topic can afford to live in Westchester, Putnum or other counties upstate. I know that I can't.

Let me say one thing. The person that started this thread is looking for NYC somewhere else. I believe that relocating anywhere is a mind blowing deal. Especially when moving from a state like NY and a city like NYC. Yes we are a very cultured city. We have so many ammenties that are pleasing to both tourist and natives. I can say that there are still parts of NYC and venues in NYC that I have never been too. But I feel that he was looking for that in GA. They are a city, but they are not as advanced as NY and NYC. And history shows that the south will never be, even before the Civil War, they were still behind us north of the mason dixie line!

I want to move to the south because I was to experience the life that you in the Westchester, Putnum and other counties experience. Good Nieghbors, good schools, good and wholesome groceries stores where the cereal aisle is not bigger than the produce one.

I have dreamed of moving to GA ever since 1992. I read on article in Ebony Magazine about the late Maynard Jackson and what he was doing in GA as far as housing and jobs and infastructue and I looked at my baby and told him that we were going there. It took me 11 years to get there but once I visited, I knew that I was meant to be there. And when I got there this past summer I knew that GOD wanted me there. So I am packing up my kids and my life and I am leaving in Aug/Sept of 2007.

I love NY and NYC, but I need to be where I need to be!

Old 10-31-2006, 01:57 PM

480 posts, read 2,829,486 times
If you don't like the public schools, then send the kids to private schools. Otherwise, move to a better area with better schools.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustla718 View Post
I don't think you ever went to public school in NYC. The schools are HORRIBLE. Education and violence wise.
[...].

Last edited by Yac; 11-02-2006 at 07:58 AM.. Reason: quote shortened

Old 10-31-2006, 06:14 PM

103 posts, read 327,634 times
Default Easy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Check123 View Post
If you don't like the public schools, then send the kids to private schools. Otherwise, move to a better area with better schools.
That is what I am doing!

Old 11-01-2006, 02:37 PM

954 posts, read 4,378,005 times
Tab1975

Sounds like you have soured on NYC, and are just ready for a change. I can understand someone getting fed up with a place and wanting to move on. Just be ready for the fundamental change in your lifestyle. It may be just what you need and want. Many good things about the South and many bad things. You have to decide if the good outweighs the bad for you.
Personally, I had all of the South I could stand after 17 years down there. But, that is me. Just be ready to have to learn a whole new way of life. I was from the Midwest and had trouble with the transition. I can't imagine a person from NYC, not having the same problems. But, maybe you are more flexible than me.
Good luck.

Old 11-01-2006, 10:03 PM

233 posts, read 906,819 times
Wink And I beat the odds!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustla718 View Post
I don't think you ever went to public school in NYC. The schools are HORRIBLE. Education and violence wise.
[...]
I actually took the placement test for the Bronx HS of Science, did not get accepted, and that was probably due to not having the proper encouragement. Many families tell kids to do well and stay in school, that is not enough. There is a process to doing well and succeeding.

I also attended City College (CUNY), didn't graduate, ended up migrating to the South, and finished school there.

Just to think I did all of this without having parents, and I am not a part a an affluent community.

I think the schools are too crowded, no books, and low self-esteem among students.

Also, I think regardless of where you move, some kids have an inner strength to want to do well regardless of their circumstances, and that just happened to be me. I was bad as h***, but despite all the peer pressure, I knew to get my work done. I was/am competitive and I had/have discipline.

I do want to address the guns comment. I agree, NYC has always had a problem with weapons. I dealt with it back in the 80's and 90's (knives, blades, fights, and guns), many kids died, and I do not recall seeing any of this on the national news. I guess they figure that's how city people function.

I think you have to move out of NYC just to think. You have to expose yourself to something else. Even if people end up going back to NY to live, at least they can learn and grow from that experience.

I guess the people wanting to go back to NYC, do not share similar childhood memories.

Last edited by Yac; 11-02-2006 at 07:59 AM.. Reason: quote shortened

Old 11-05-2006, 01:04 AM

27 posts, read 183,138 times
I too am from Westchester NY, and then Ct. We moved south to Florida, and it's way not what it's cracked up to be. We want to move back also to NY. And you are absolutely right... NY and Ct. actually have laws that make sense!! Florida has nothing but laws, and they make no sense to me at all! They all are mostly for money. Evey time we turn around we run into another law! NY is just laid back, and they said this about Florida. I don't feel like I'm comfortable here. NY is more a common sense kind of place... like ya do this or that, and that's what the laws are, because they make common sense. Here it's like they're breathing down you neck. We are going to try the Keys, and then back up north if it doesn't work there. ...Miss NY sooo much.

Old 11-05-2006, 10:44 AM

2 posts, read 11,932 times
I Am So Happy To Find This Thread. I Sold My Home 2 Years Ago In Jamaica , Queens New York . I Now Live In Cornelius N.c. 30 Min. From Charlotte N.c. I Miss Everything That I Wanted To Get Away From. This Place Is Beautiful , But N.y. Is Alive. I Never Wanted To Leave , I Followed The Trend Of Looking For Better Cheaper Housing . Homes Are Cheaper But Taxes Are Higher Can Sometimes Rival That Of Some L.i. Towns. In Ny If A Homeowner Cannot Pay Thier Water Bill They Could At Least Wait Until Income Tax Time And Pay A Lump Sum, Over Here You Are Cut Off Within A Month. In Some Areas You Must Subscribe To Cable Or Satellite Just To Get Basic Television Reception. I Live In An Upscale Area ($875 Per Month Is Considered High Rent , Go Figure) There Are At Least 3 Blackouts Per Month If Only Lasting A Few Minutes (alway Have To Reset My Clocks. The Car Insurance Is Really Low But You Must Pay A Yearly Car Tax And Re-register Your Car Annually. Food Is More Expensive In Addition To Being Taxed.ny Has Free Extra Curricular Activies For The Children , Soccor, Karate , Basketball Ect. Are Costly. My Children Who Were Homeschooled In N.y Now Attend Public School. The School Is Lovely But The Standard Is Low. Both Of My Kids Were Put Into Gifted Programs Along With One Being Place 1 Grade Ahead And The Work Given Is A Joke. People Never Come Out. When You Drive Through Neighborhoods You Never See People In Their Yards On Or Walking. Worst Of All I Am A Black Person In An All White Neighborhood. The Only Diversity Is 2 Streets With Primarily Mexican Who Stay To Themselves. 2 Or 3 Streets Of Lower Income Blacks. A Few Middle Income Whites(where I Am ) Then Huge Amount Of Wealthy Whites. Night Time Driving Is Ridiculous As There Is Limited Street Lighting And Unless You Are A Native Its Hard To Find Your Way On Local Roads. I Am Fortunate As I Work From Home And My Husband Has Business In New York So Finding Employment In Not An Issue. For Those With College Degrees The Picking Is Slim. Most Of The Work Available Is In Target , Walmart , Home Depot , Local Groceries Or Fast Food Establisments. Although Housing Is Inexpensive Compared To N.y The Low Paying Jobs Available Cannot Support Mtg Payments. Lots Of Families Who Have Relocated From N.y To The N.c. And G.a. Have Husbands Who Must Remain In N.y. To Maintain Employment And Come Home To Families Once Or Twice Per Month. I Came Expecting To Buy And Sell Real Estate To New Arrivals From N.y. But Thank God I Did Not Buy A Home Here. There Are So Many New Homes Its Hard To Make A Sale On A Previously Built Homes. A Seller Must Compete With Several New Builders As Newer Homes With Several Incentives Along With Other Home Owner Trying To Sell Also. The Only Homes That Sell Quickly Are Those On Lake Property Or Golf Courses. I Could Go On And On . I Am Currently Looking To Go Back Home Prices Are More Favorable Than The Past 2 Years. I Should Be Back By The End Of The Coming Summer. This Place Is Cool But Maybe For Someone Else. I Just Want People To Be Informed Before Jumping On The Bandwagon And Following The This Migration Trend.

Old 11-05-2006, 04:44 PM

4 posts, read 10,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aplacetocallhome View Post
I'm originaly fron Long Island and moved to Kissimmee 4months ago. I HATE IT! i'm already in the process of selling my house. I HATE the weather, the food, the people(RUDE), the low paying Jobs, Traffic(and they says NY is bad, I don't think so) People here drive slow like turtles and can't drive. I see accidents (multiple cars too) everyday. utilities here are out of control. I'm so home sick. I keep thinking of the holidays with snow and hole positive vibe people have in NY and I want it all back.

NEW YORK I'm Coming back Even if I have to work 2jobs to pay my mortgage but, it's all worth it.

Good Bye Florida,Moderator cut: rude
Hear, hear!!! Everyplace but New York once you're frum New York SUCKS!!!!! I moved to the Southwest. I was living in a house with a front yard, a backyard and a 25 x 40 living room. My rent was $450. But, the people were dumb,(I'm not being rude, google "dumbest state in the union"), there was a meth problem (and having grown up thru the crack era, I have no sympathy) and I got rear-ended THREE times in one year. The final straw was February 1, 2004 - Superbowl Sunday- when an IDIOT hit my Ford Explorer so hard with her honda civic making a left turn FROM THE CENTER LANE that she took my car out. The garbage lawyer got me less than $3,000 after his fee. I said the hell with this. Had I been home not only would I have never gotten hit but anyone stupid enough to do something like that would have been high/drunk/crazy/unlicensed to drive anyway and would have paid me twice that on the spot just to NOT call the cops.

They used to say "Brooklyn is a Planet." New york is a Universe.

Old 11-05-2006, 05:38 PM

478 posts, read 959,802 times
I am orginally from upstate NY, lived there 25 years - near the Massachussetts line, and have lived in Boston and NYC for the past 6 years before moving to the Charlotte suburbs.

I don't know what the big attraction about it all is down here... aside that it is cheaper to live. I moved for my job, and luckily did not get into buying a house - as I would like to leave here the first chance I get. I don't mean to put anyone off if you are moving here or have moved here and you are happy - but for me this area of Charlotte suburbia has such a "nowhere" type of feel to it... not much character at all, and way too much strip and cookie cutter housing. At times I feel like I am in a southern suburban twilight zone...which I suppose, I am. And as everyone knows, this area is getting way too overcrowded - driving is a pain as the roads are not built to handle the amount of traffic.

Maybe I'm just spoiled, but to me, upstate NY and the Berkshires really is a beautiful area that is so close to NYC and Boston - with a much more cultured, progressive type of feel than down here. And give me a winter in upstate NY/ The Berkshires... over a summer down here, anyday. The summers here are way too hot.

Oh well, that is just my take on things here - I can't wait to get back home... even if it does cost more to live... to me it's well worth it. But again, everyones take on it down here is different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York