Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2006, 05:16 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,804,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhogan10010 View Post
Where in Brooklyn? I just moved to the North Slope area from Manhattan and love it.
I don't have kids, so I can't really comment on educational issues. However, having grown up in the Midwest, I can tell you that from my years in the South, I was not impressed with their public education (apart from universities).
Get ready for major culture shock. Hope the economics work out for you. I discovered after years down South, that I would rather pay more to live here.
NYC has the 3rd highest dropout rate (High school) among all major cities.

The schools are HORRIBLE. Kids bring guns to school, they have metal detectors and cops patroling the halls. The kids just don't learn in NYC, and the way the system is, that won't change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tab1975 View Post
You know the first thing you hear is about the crime, the finances, the traffic.

Ok...to let you know. form the time I came to this county in 79, I have lived in Bed Stuy(before gentrification) crown height(lived there during the riots) brownsville(where they are moving you too to pay 600k to live across the street from the projects) east flatbush(cool, but they are looking to take that over too). I lived in the most crime riddled areas in my time, so me moving to GA (not moving where the crime is) is cool. As far as financially, I know that I am going to take a hit in my pockets. The cost of living is nothing like NYC, but you cannot go down there with a NYC mindset. This is a change. Just casue you can buy a 2007 Escalade and work in Wal-Mart, does not mean that you should. Live according to your means.

I do have a little saved up, but I am taking my tax refund and a gift from my Grammy and moving on. There is no where like NYC and this is the only home that I know. But I know there is better. I know that life has more in store for me than the hustle and bussle. I am putting GOD first and I am stepping out on faith. And even though life crumbles all around you...With GOD life is amazing!

Be Blessed!
Yup and the neighborhoods still suck. Unbeliveable they are selling homes for that much in those neighborhoods. Most of the people moving into them are former residents of the projects whos income is now too high. Technically they are affordable housing. Never seen someone from outside the neighborhood buy and live in one of those townhouses. Just the locals. They are a step up from the horrible tenements and projects. The city wants locals to try and stay in the neighborhoods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2006, 07:18 PM

233 posts, read 907,274 times
Default Yes, Know Yourself...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhogan10010 View Post
That's interesting. I work at a public university in Manhattan. So, I run into many international students and co-workers. This morning I had a conversation with a co-worker who is originally from Poland. 11 years after he migrated here, he is wondering if he shouldn't just pack it in and go back home. I find it interesting how many people I have met from other countries, who have this idea that life will be so easy and prosperous here. I think big corporations must be doing a great job to lure cheaper labor here or something. Or maybe people watch movies and think that is really how American's live. I wish! I mean the entire cast of Friends lived in an apartment that most executives would like to have here, and most of them were making minimum wage.
I think that a person has to understand him or herself, to discover their place. If you really love where you are and what you are doing, then the struggle is worth it. I spent years in the South after having grown up in Detroit. I finally discovered that I need to me in a big city. With the noise and pollution and crime, etc. Thats just me. I find NYC endlessly interesting and engaging. I don't have kids, so that is not an issue.
I hope the originally poster finds something to her liking in GA.
I think you make a very good point. I think you should know what makes you happy and comfortable. I, personally do not miss public tranportaion, but it is nice to know that it is there in NY. I do not "club" to 4am anymore, but it nice to know that I can in NY. I miss going to the museums, plays, stores, and NYC only events, but I prefer a different lifestyle now. I no longer look for my old NY life in other states, I now look for a better me.

It's funny, I come from a tight knit family. They looked at me like I was crazy when I decided to leave NY, but so far all my siblings, some cousins, and uncle have all left NY.

I think everyone miss NY for entertainment and culture, but for my family members riding public transportation, they would have to admit that it is nice to not have someone right on your back.

Old 10-27-2006, 07:34 PM

233 posts, read 907,274 times
Default Stick to the Plan....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tab1975 View Post
What pat of GA do you have in mind? If ATL, what part?

I am torn between two places...Gwinette and Clayton County

I do know that I need a car. But I have to learn to drive first. LOL!

I also know about the job situation. I have a friend now that has been in College Park and still is not working. My issues is that I have worked for so long in the apparel industry that I might not be marketable there. I hope that is not the case. I want my relo to go as smoothly as possible.

I know that people have a lot to say negative about it, but I know it is what you make it. And I plan to MAKE IT! Feel Me!
Okay, so you are going to GA to WIN. I Feel You!

All I will add is to write things down. It is easier to see yourself (goals) on paper opposed to in your head.

College Park? There is a Fulton County side and a Clayton County side. From what I remember living in College Park, the Fulton County side is crime ridden. The Clayton County side is better, but I am hearing Clayton county is experiencing high crime.

I would move to Gwinnette, if you can find something on the busline. Stone Mountain I hear is getting bad, but for now it is still decent. You will be able to find apartments on the busline in St. Mt.

Hope this helps. You can PM me if you like.

Old 10-27-2006, 11:52 PM

480 posts, read 2,830,578 times
NYC is the only "major" city in the U.S. The other sub-major cities are LA, Chicago, and Miami.

There are good neighborhoods, and there are bad. There are good schools, and there are bad.

Old 10-28-2006, 06:32 AM

40 posts, read 199,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustla718 View Post
NYC has the 3rd highest dropout rate (High school) among all major cities.

The schools are HORRIBLE. Kids bring guns to school, they have metal detectors and cops patroling the halls. The kids just don't learn in NYC, and the way the system is, that won't change.

Yup and the neighborhoods still suck. Unbeliveable they are selling homes for that much in those neighborhoods. Most of the people moving into them are former residents of the projects whos income is now too high. Technically they are affordable housing. Never seen someone from outside the neighborhood buy and live in one of those townhouses. Just the locals. They are a step up from the horrible tenements and projects. The city wants locals to try and stay in the neighborhoods.

The schools are HORRIBLE. Kids bring guns to school, they have metal detectors and cops patroling the halls. The kids just don't learn in NYC, and the way the system is, that won't change

Helloooo! "KID WITH GUNS" thats happening all over the country. Lets remember COLUMBINE and metal detectors are being place in all the schools for kids protection. NY has one of the best public school education and kids are droping out because parents don't encourge them and parents are never around, they're too busy partying or busy having more babies and too busy finding there babies daddies.

Old 10-29-2006, 03:59 AM

6 posts, read 58,234 times
Default Missing NY Too!

Gahhh...I completely understand, the south is killing me! I'm from upstate NY just outside of Rochester. We live in Virginia Beach now and there is absolutely no culture! Everything is so commercial. We have been here for 3 yrs. and have had a baby in that time. Let me tell you I was the hungriest pregnant woman-all I wanted were Zweigles hotdogs, pizza, wings, a sub...all the really good stuff from NY & none of it is here! Southern hospitality is a joke too, stuffy is more like it. I think it is because we are "yankees". It is too bad. We are going to be moving from here soon but this time we are going west. No jobs in Upstate, it is dying off up there and so sad to see...

Old 10-29-2006, 03:10 PM

131 posts, read 189,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYLATINQT View Post
Like most people these days, I left NY to move South. I hate it. I am so homesick. It's been 2 1/2 yrs and I have not gotten used to this southern life (Florida and GA). The grass is not always greener on the other side. I wish that I could be posting about moving to NY. For those of you moving to NY, it's a wonderful state, whether you live in the City or upstate. NY actually has laws that make sense. I took many things for granted when i lived in NY and now I wish that I were back. For example, Florida and GA are both "right to work" states, which basically means that you can get fired from your job for no **** reason at all. Is that crazy or what? Where are the unions? There are no real restaurants, no culture, no nice people. And they say NYers are rude?! I don't think so. The whole southern hospitality thing is a myth. I MISS NEW YORK.
I own several businesses who deal directly with customers.I have never fired an employee who said they did anything wrong.But when custodians start telling
managers on the first day how to run the businesses and that's how it was done where they're big mouth came from,I put them out the door.But they never ever did anything wrong

Old 10-29-2006, 03:18 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,804,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aplacetocallhome View Post
The schools are HORRIBLE. Kids bring guns to school, they have metal detectors and cops patroling the halls. The kids just don't learn in NYC, and the way the system is, that won't change

Helloooo! "KID WITH GUNS" thats happening all over the country. Lets remember COLUMBINE and metal detectors are being place in all the schools for kids protection. NY has one of the best public school education and kids are droping out because parents don't encourge them and parents are never around, they're too busy partying or busy having more babies and too busy finding there babies daddies.
I don't think you ever went to public school in NYC. The schools are HORRIBLE. Education and violence wise. Columbine, that's the first time that ever happened in that school. It has yet to happen again there. It is VERY rare for a school shooting to happen in a middle class, White suberban school. In most schools in NYC, the kids are always bring guns to school. Kids threatening other students with guns, knives, MACHETES. Most students are from lower income areas of the city, and take advantage of those from better backgrounds. They used to keep the "ghetto" kids stuck in the ghetto, now they can request transfers to schools in better of areas. Making those schools which already had problems, worse.

There was a triple shooting earlier this year in Evander HS in the Bronx. Right on the steps to the school. Kids were going into school. That was not the first or last violent incident in that school even this year. No one gave a ****.

Last year I remember a kid was shot dead in a hallway inside of MLK high school in Harlem. Again no one gave a ****.

You know why? These were Black and Latino kids from the ghetto. Not crazy White kids from middle America.

Inner city schools are horrible. NYC's system is among the worst for large cities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Check123 View Post
NYC is the only "major" city in the U.S. The other sub-major cities are LA, Chicago, and Miami.

There are good neighborhoods, and there are bad. There are good schools, and there are bad.
There are good schools in NYC, but they are so outnumbered by the terrible. Among HS all I can think of Stuyvesant, Brooklyn Tech, and Bronx Science. Those are good. The average student cannot attend these schools. You have to take a placement test. Who do you think makes up the majority ion these schools? Asians and Whites who went to private elementary schools.

The rest of the schools are terrible. Most public schools in NYC are attended by minorities. Even those in Midtown/Downtown. Art and Design HS on 86th Street. A wealthy area, terrible school. Graffiti in the classroom walls. Crime, run down, high drop out rate. Even worse are the zone schools.

Many of the new schools are located in formally vacant warehouses. I've been to a couple with no gyms. These are always located in low income areas to help reduce the strain.

There are probably more decent elementary schools (K-5). Many of those are terrible as well. The Junior HS are awful (6-8). The HS are already the end of the line, and the kids just drop out.

Only good schooling in NYC is the CUNY's. They aren't the best, but at least decent and you can learn.

Just look how low the grad rate is among major cities:

http://www.usatoday.com/news/educati...ut-rates_x.htm

"NY has one of the best public school education and kids are droping out because parents don't encourge them and parents are never around, they're too busy partying or busy having more babies and too busy finding there babies daddies."

Best huh... With a rate like that, I think there is more to the story then just the parents not encouraging them. It has to do with the school system.

I hope big changes come about to solve this problem. However it's going to take more then a city effort to improve our schools.

Last edited by Hustla718; 10-29-2006 at 03:57 PM..

Old 10-30-2006, 02:08 PM

954 posts, read 4,380,070 times
Latest Rating
NYC 145th Safest City Overall in America
Atlanta 355th Safest City Overall in America.

Old 10-30-2006, 03:18 PM

22 posts, read 130,806 times
that would be us...back to long island to live and nyc to work
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York