Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 11:13 AM

944 posts, read 3,856,540 times

Advertisements

I recently attended a wedding in Rochester, as well as visited a lot of friends and family throughout the Rochester/Syracuse/Finger Lakes area.

There was one simple recurring theme: a lot of people wish they could move back, have looked into employment, and have decided to wait and/or keep looking. I kept hearing, "I'm going to get more experience and start looking again in a few years."

My circle is primarily 25-35 years olds and includes just about every imaginable career: cop, doctor, lawyer, writer, teacher, business guys... coming in from: NYC, S.F., L.A., Chicago, Philly, Phoenix, Florida, Texas....

We all want to come back, but can't find work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2007, 11:34 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,747,226 times
Thats funny because I know of several people moving back/that have moved back recently to the Rochester area in that age group.
I guess it all depends on your field.
Friends in the IT field have had no problems finding jobs when moving back. People in various business fields found jobs too(no clue what the specific work is, all I know is that they have MBAs).
They have run articles which stated that there are many vacancies in the medical field and many places are in need of doctors in the area.
My lawyer friends didn't have to move away and found positions at firms within a month or two after law school.
The teacher friends that attended school locally found jobs right away. My teacher friends that went to school outside of the state/Rochester region had problems and moved away.
The people I know with journalism degrees can't find decent work (btw, the D&C is a horrible place to work for)
I work in a field related to criminal justice and know that if you want to get into the RPD and are white, it is very tough, even for a transfer. Monroe County sheriffs and some of the federal agencies have had openings recently.

Do some of these people have very specific areas of work? Because I know people that have found jobs in some of the fields you listed.

Old 07-19-2007, 12:09 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,301,084 times
Jobs seem to be going to the larger cities upstate for the most part. I don't think the employment web sites do a decent job at posting openings.

This is what I see in the Syracuse paper, a need for -

RF Engineers (SRC), Call Center and or Billing (Bank of NY Mellon, Time Warner), Medicare/Benefits and other Insurance Claims/Service Reps (Natl Govt Services, Hanover Ins, HF&C, Pomco), Semi-conductor support engineer (Infocon), Manufacturing and other Operations Mgrs and CFO/ Acctg(Armstrong, Aspen Dental). There is also Paychex in Rochester and Welch Allyn in Skaneateles.

There is a shortage of all sorts of medical personnel including ancillary and office staff, and many very high paying public school administration jobs at $90-150yr. I've heard of police depts that are hiring too.

Old 07-19-2007, 01:54 PM

1,030 posts, read 3,086,809 times
If you're in nursing, you could name your job and still have more offers than you know what to do with in Rochester.....

Old 07-19-2007, 02:38 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,635,912 times
From what I've heard and read, what the story is, in Rochester atleast, is that there really isn't too much of a shortage of good jobs....and there's certainly not a shortage of people qualified for them...it's that the job hunters aren't made aware enough of the jobs that are available.

Old 07-19-2007, 05:04 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,301,084 times
That may be true, or it could be the intractable way they write up their ads: master's degree preferred, 3-5 or 8-10 yrs experience (doing precicely the same job or better). Sometimes I think they scare more people away with these ads than they attract.

Old 07-20-2007, 03:13 PM

22 posts, read 64,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muggy View Post
I recently attended a wedding in Rochester, as well as visited a lot of friends and family throughout the Rochester/Syracuse/Finger Lakes area.

There was one simple recurring theme: a lot of people wish they could move back, have looked into employment, and have decided to wait and/or keep looking. I kept hearing, "I'm going to get more experience and start looking again in a few years."

My circle is primarily 25-35 years olds and includes just about every imaginable career: cop, doctor, lawyer, writer, teacher, business guys... coming in from: NYC, S.F., L.A., Chicago, Philly, Phoenix, Florida, Texas....

We all want to come back, but can't find work.

In my opinion, people in Rochester never really can "make it" as they can in other cities. Don't bite my head off....what I am saying is that in Rochester the majority of educated, working people can have a nice life---aspiring for the house in perinton, fairport, or even pittsford (woo)...but there seems to be a "bubble" in Rochester and upstate where you can't get too successful as you could in the cities you mentioned or more up and coming ones like Raleigh or Charlotte. Maybe the jobs aren't there or the attitude....it just seems like people in this area eventually "top out" at whatever end of the pay scale they can reach......I guess you have to be away from Rochester to really see it all.

And with the great colleges like UR & RIT, where the students typically go into fields that offer them better opportunities as leaders elsewhere, its hard to go back to middle management or under institutional control when elsewhere you can start your own company and actually have a market & climate that supports you.

Old 07-20-2007, 04:11 PM

121 posts, read 383,733 times
This is the dealio that I posted on another thread......but, when a whole demographic of people (in this case 25-35 yr olds) leave, an upswing or influx of jobs in the area won't matter because it lost all of the young workforce and thus, will take another 10 years of waiting/decline, etc. to wait for the other entry-level/mid-level folks to build upon. So, that is why employers should be catering to this demographic if they really care about the area......and not offering us peanuts..........I guess I believe that Upstate NY will NEVER be to us (people in our 20's & 30's) what it was to our parents, grandparents, etc.

Old 07-20-2007, 05:09 PM

222 posts, read 692,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
Thats funny because I know of several people moving back/that have moved back recently to the Rochester area in that age group.
I guess it all depends on your field.
Friends in the IT field have had no problems finding jobs when moving back. People in various business fields found jobs too(no clue what the specific work is, all I know is that they have MBAs).
They have run articles which stated that there are many vacancies in the medical field and many places are in need of doctors in the area.
My lawyer friends didn't have to move away and found positions at firms within a month or two after law school.
The teacher friends that attended school locally found jobs right away. My teacher friends that went to school outside of the state/Rochester region had problems and moved away.
The people I know with journalism degrees can't find decent work (btw, the D&C is a horrible place to work for)
I work in a field related to criminal justice and know that if you want to get into the RPD and are white, it is very tough, even for a transfer. Monroe County sheriffs and some of the federal agencies have had openings recently.

Do some of these people have very specific areas of work? Because I know people that have found jobs in some of the fields you listed.

HMMM I'm not white, have a BS in Criminial Justice from RIT and Paralegal Cert from Brockport and it was very tough for me to find a job too....go figure

Old 07-21-2007, 07:13 AM

52 posts, read 218,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khayla007 View Post

HMMM I'm not white, have a BS in Criminial Justice from RIT and Paralegal Cert from Brockport and it was very tough for me to find a job too....go figure
RPD takes laterals and tends to take minority candidates using that process; white cops are encouraged to take the written exam in addition to the usual lateral process. There are a lack of minority applicants for RPD with experience, and that is the way they try to compensate. Are you saying that you are a PO and tried to lateral to RPD but were denied? Degrees and paralegal certs don't count for much as a cop in regards to hire; experience and academy cert is key.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York