Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2012, 08:28 AM

5 posts, read 5,831 times

Advertisements

My husband and I might be moving to Colton, New York in two months (still waiting on the transfer approval) and my husband will be working in Potsdam. We have two young children, our son who will be in first grade in the fall and our toddler daughter. We visited that area last summer and fell in love with the natural beauty (mountains, rivers, and the wildlife) which is a far cry from the suburbs we live in now just south of houston, texas. Even though we loved the landscape in the adirondacks I am still really worried about moving there...such a HUGE change. So I have to ask....if you've lived in this area I need to know the Pro's and Con's of living there. My husband is Mexican-American and therefore my kids are Half mexican/Half White...is this going to be an issue in this area? Needless to say, they are not minorities where we are living now, so I don't want them to feel like minorities in Upstate New York either. We have the option to stay here in our 4 bedroom home in Texas OR move to Colton, New York and live on my parents farm while we save money to buy land and build a house there. What should we do? (Note: Our income and my husband's job position will be the same in the same company, so no financial benefit to moving. We wanted a more natural enviroment to raise our children in....tired of the suburbs and the "keeping up with the jones's" mentality).

Last edited by cate88; 04-30-2012 at 08:47 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2012, 08:34 AM

94,320 posts, read 125,243,828 times
According to this: Search For Schools, Colleges and Libraries There are only 3 students of color in the Colton-Pierrepont SD. So, while I'm not sure that it will be an issue, they will definitely be a minority there. Is this your only option in that area or are you willing to consider other nearby communities, just in case?

I guess another option if you want a little bit more ethnic/racial diversity is a more rural part of the Potsdam(very good SD by the way), Canton, Massena or Ogdensburg SD's. You could also look into the Norwood-Norfolk SD, which seems to have a little bit more diversity and is more small town/rural in character. Search For Schools, Colleges and Libraries It is also a district that is adjacent to Potsdam. St. Lawrence Central SD in Brasher falls may be another area to consider: Search For Schools, Colleges and Libraries

Here's some more information: https://reportcards.nysed.gov/view.p...y=51&year=2011

New York schools - NY elementary, middle and high school information

2011 Upstate school district rankings - Buffalo - Business First

2011 Watertown Area school district rankings - Buffalo - Business First

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 04-30-2012 at 08:47 AM..

Old 04-30-2012, 08:43 AM

Thanks so much for the information ckhthankgod!! To answer your question, that area is really the only one we were considering because we have the ability to stay in my parent's empty farm house while we save up money to build our own. I'm really just concerned with people's attitudes towards different races....here in the houston area there are people from everywhere so my kids are colorblind. We have the option to turn down the transfer if we decide to, so I really want to consider everything before making the decision.

Old 04-30-2012, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cate88 View Post
Thanks so much for the information ckhthankgod!! To answer your question, that area is really the only one we were considering because we have the ability to stay in my parent's empty farm house while we save up money to build our own. I'm really just concerned with people's attitudes towards different races....here in the houston area there are people from everywhere so my kids are colorblind. We have the option to turn down the transfer if we decide to, so I really want to consider everything before making the decision.
What could help is Colton's proximity to Potsdam and its college town vibe. So, while the district doesn't have much diversity, the attitudes could still be accepting of students of color.

Also, once you get established, it could open your family up to more options in terms of schooling.

I believe that there are some private elementary school options as well in the county.

Could renting in say Potsdam or Canton or any other community be an option as well? I ask because cost of living is actually below average in much of Upstate NY?

Old 04-30-2012, 08:50 AM

The website links are really helpful, Thanks so much!

Old 04-30-2012, 09:02 AM

We thought about renting, but since we'll be moving from our 4 bedroom house with a front and back yard for the kids to play, I didn't think they would do well being in a small apartment with no yard. At least in my parent's farm house they would still have plenty of space outside to run around and play and we would have the house to ourselves for a couple of years until my parent's retire and move to their farm. Honestly, I'm so torn on whether to move or not....the farm is within minutes of the Adirondack State Park and it is beautiful, but I know it will be a culture shock....the winters will be rough....and I'll be selling my beloved home in order to live in a more natural and beautiful place. I noticed you live in upstate new york....would you say that the natural beauty of the adirondacks is worth such a drastic life change?

Old 04-30-2012, 10:32 AM

It will depend on what you are looking for. It will be a slower pace of life and maybe events and the colleges in Potsdam and Canton can fulfill your cultural needs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York