Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 05:51 AM

10 posts, read 69,613 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

We are an Irish family with 2 small boys hoping to move to USA in the next 2 years. We think we'll go to NY, but not sure. Husband has second cousins all over NY city and state, but I dont like the idea of bringing my kids up in a city. I came from Dublin city and have moved to a beautiful coastal village now. I love being beside to sea and would love to stay by it in NY. We would also need an area with good schools and other things for kids to do and I don't want to have to always have to drive everywhere. I would be very grateful for any information or advice.
Thanks,
Irish Jasmine
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2012, 02:14 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,730,092 times
You might want to consider Long Beach, which had a fairly decent sized Irish population and is on the ocean.

Old 01-16-2012, 05:53 PM

93,412 posts, read 124,084,833 times
What areas of the state is his family located in?

Old 01-17-2012, 04:58 AM

Hi,
Thank you for your reply. We were thinking of long island alright,
but not sure where to start looking there. It doesn't have to be an Irish
Community that we move to - after all, we're moving away from that. What is very important is that the schooling is good, there is lots of stuff to do with the kids and it is VERY safe for them. Also, rental prices can't be mad high either, as we will still be paying for a mortgage in Ireland as the economy is too bad here to sell up just yet.
Thanks again and any further advice would be much appreciated. Also, if anyone could give me any Internet resource they know of, that would be fantastic too.

Many thanks again
Irish Jasmine

Old 01-17-2012, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish jasmine View Post
Hi,
Community that we move to - after all, we're moving away from that. What is very important is that the schooling is good, there is lots of stuff to do with the kids and it is VERY safe for them. Also, rental prices can't be mad high either, as we will still be paying for a mortgage in Ireland as the economy is too bad here to sell up just yet.
Thanks again and any further advice would be much appreciated. Also, if anyone could give me any Internet resource they know of, that would be fantastic too.

Many thanks again
Irish Jasmine
What about these places? Fredonia Chamber of Commerce - Welcome

Geneseo, New York - Welcome Page

Welcome to the Town of Irondequoit

Village of Liverpool Home Page

The Official Web Site of the City of Oswego

Official Website of Ithaca, NY

Fort Brewerton - Greater Oneida Lake Chamber of Commerce

The Village of Sackets Harbor NY - Experience the Treasures!

Welcome to Sodus, NY

Skaneateles Area Chamber Of Commerce - Welcome to Skaneateles

Cazenovia Chamber of Commerce

City of Plattsburgh

Cooperstown Chamber of Commerce - Welcome

Webster Chamber of Commerce

Penn Yan Village - New York

Canandaigua Chamber of Commerce : Supporting tourism, a healthy business climate and responsible economic growth.

Youngstown New York - Lewiston, Youngstown, Porter, Ransomville, & Sanborn - Travel & business north of Niagara Falls, NY ..::.. Lower Niagara River Region Chamber of Commerce (http://www.niagarariverregion.com/chamber/webcapsule/youngstown/ - broken link)

Cape Vincent -- Where Lake And River Meet

Westport NY on Lake Champlain

Ticonderoga Area Chamber of Commerce

Town of Moriah

Lake George, New York Chamber of Commerce - Gateway to the Adirondacks

Aurora Arts and Merchants Association

http://unionspringsny.com/

Seneca Falls, NY - Historic Gateway to the Finger Lakes

City of Geneva

Welcome to the City of Auburn, New York

Home

and more.........

Old 01-17-2012, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Hi,

Many thanks again
Irish Jasmine
There are many good school districts on LI, but your rental budget is going to decide for you where you can afford to live. I would suggest you post on the LI forum as well to get better insight as to the rental situation in different areas of LI. Unfortunately I can not shed too much light onto the rental topic.

A big question is whether you and/or your husband has a job lined up, where it is located, and what sort of a commute do you wish to have?

ckthankgod made some lovely suggestions for upstate NY; if you can live without the ocean and will be happy with lakes, they are worthy of consideration.

Old 01-17-2012, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
There are many good school districts on LI, but your rental budget is going to decide for you where you can afford to live. I would suggest you post on the LI forum as well to get better insight as to the rental situation in different areas of LI. Unfortunately I can not shed too much light onto the rental topic.

A big question is whether you and/or your husband has a job lined up, where it is located, and what sort of a commute do you wish to have?

ckthankgod made some lovely suggestions for upstate NY; if you can live without the ocean and will be happy with lakes, they are worthy of consideration.
Would something say in the North Fork of Suffolk County be better than the South Shore of Nassau County in terms of quaint villages or can you find such communities anywhere on L.I.?

Old 01-17-2012, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Would something say in the North Fork of Suffolk County be better than the South Shore of Nassau County in terms of quaint villages or can you find such communities anywhere on L.I.?
You can pretty much find anything on LI, depends on the depth of one's pockets. Comparing the north fork of Suffolk with the south shore of Nassau is apples v oranges. Answering re: quaint villages -- that would be north fork Suffolk. I am on the north shore in Suffolk, in a quaint village, but not on the north fork (still another 30-40 mins east of me.) South shore Nassau is developed and built out. Long Beach and Lido Beach are different than south shore Nassau in the way they've developed and built up. Lido Beach might be suitable for the OP if she prefers something on the Ocean which is quaint.

North fork -- rural, less populated, not commutable to NYC
South shore Nassau -- suburban to quasi urban, more densely populated, very commutable to NYC

Both areas have beaches -- south shore bay and ocean, north fork Gardiners Bay and LI Sound. Both have fishing and boating as well.

Pricewise -- they are going to run the gambit depending on the housing stock and availability. South shore of Nassau will have more school districts, many of which are good, solid districts. North fork Suffolk has fewer districts.

Old 01-17-2012, 02:47 PM

Default Thanks so much

Thanks for all your replys guys. We are waiting to see if we get our
Green card - find out may this year. I'll be doing alot of research into li and am also gonna look into up state too.
Thanks again
Irish jamime

Old 02-01-2012, 09:04 PM

5 posts, read 11,864 times
Quote:
Hi all,

We are an Irish family with 2 small boys hoping to move to USA in the next 2 years. We think we'll go to NY, but not sure. Husband has second cousins all over NY city and state, but I dont like the idea of bringing my kids up in a city. I came from Dublin city and have moved to a beautiful coastal village now. I love being beside to sea and would love to stay by it in NY. We would also need an area with good schools and other things for kids to do and I don't want to have to always have to drive everywhere. I would be very grateful for any information or advice.
Thanks,
Irish Jasmine
Breezy point, NY has the nation's 2nd highest concentration of irish americans its in queens so its part of the 5 boroughs but is kinda a sleep beach side town in between the rockaways. Mostly made up of Firefighters cops. I have family there and went there often as a kid. its a good neighborhood
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York