Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 11:15 AM

119 posts, read 206,997 times

Advertisements

Ok, heres my problem.
I recently found a piece of land, I am interested in. It is just outside of Middleburgh NY in Schoharie County.

I spent many a summer as a kid up there, and really love the area.

The problem is I am gay. I know there aren't many gay people in that area. What I am concerned with, would I be shunned or, worse would I be harassed because of my sexual orientation? I am in my early sixties, and would want to have some friends. I worry, that because of who I am, I might have problems.

Please feel free to comment. I need to know!

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2012, 02:15 PM

655 posts, read 2,328,209 times
Default Ithaca & Finger Lakes Region - Liberal Viewpoints

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny48 View Post
Ok, heres my problem.
I recently found a piece of land, I am interested in. It is just outside of Middleburgh NY in Schoharie County.

I spent many a summer as a kid up there, and really love the area.

The problem is I am gay. I know there aren't many gay people in that area. What I am concerned with, would I be shunned or, worse would I be harassed because of my sexual orientation? I am in my early sixties, and would want to have some friends. I worry, that because of who I am, I might have problems.

Please feel free to comment. I need to know!

Thanks
Hello Kenny,

I don't know that much about the Middleburgh, Schoharie County, NY area. All I can tell you is that there are rural and other areas in NY State that still do not accept gay people as neighbors but there are some other people who have the intelligent viewpoint of let people "live and let live" especially if the gay people are platonically friendly and pleasant and live/conduct themselves responsibly as most gay people do.

You may want to post/ask your question on the Albany city forum since gay people in Albany city may have good accurate information for you about the nearby Albany = Middleburgh/Schoharie County NY region.

Have you ever considered any other rural area in New York State in which to buy some countryside land? The small lovely City of Ithaca, NY on big Cayuga Lake (Ithaca-Cayuga Heights-Lansing) comes to mind. Ithaca is a liberal viewpoint city in the beautiful (Cayuga Lake) Finger Lakes Region (vineyards, wineries, farms, bed & breakfast lodges, craftsmen's studios/shops, etc.) of NY State. There is a gay community element in Ithaca with various businesses that are gay-friendly. I imagine that you could meet other gay people in Ithaca and meet some nice decent gay friends; establish friendships. Also Cornell University and Ithaca College are located there and provide a liberal feeling to Ithaca. There is lots of beautiful gently-rolling countryside land outside Ithaca city available to buy--that rural area may be a little more conservative than the city. But you would always feel at-ease and comfortable anywhere in Ithaca city. Rochester NY also has a rather large gay community if you were to consider buying countryside land in that area.

My best advice to you is post your question on the Albany city forum and see if you receive helpful information about the Middleburgh area. Second, maybe you would want to take a several day trip to the Ithaca NY area and drive around the TOWNSHIPS of Dryden, Groton, Lansing, Genoa, Enfield, Ulysses, & Newfield (areas/townships) looking for possible countryside land to purchase. That Finger Lakes/Ithaca Region has a lot of beautiful scenic views of the (valleys, rolling landmass, farmlands, hillsides, lake, streams, etc.) gorgeous countryside areas.

Best of luck to you whatever you decide to do.

Old 04-23-2012, 02:54 PM

Default Ithaca, NY - Photos and Information

Hello Kenny,

As a followup to my previous post, the Link Lines below will take you to sites where you will see photos and information about the Ithaca, NY area. The sites cover an overview of the Ithaca-Cayuga Lake Region in case you decide to consider relocating to that area of New York State.

ITHACA NY - Photos>>>

Ithaca NY shown at the southern end of Cayuga Lake in this aerial photo
www.city-data.com/picfilesv/picv6629.php

Ithaca Commons - downtown business area
www.fingerlakes.com/towns/ithaca

www.ithaca.edu/photos/2053/?image_id=15323#photo

www.ithaca.edu/photos/2053/?image_id=15324#photo

Ithaca NY - Collegetown neighborhood and Cornell University
www.city-data.com/picfilesc/picc16322.php

CAYUGA LAKE - Photos>>>

http://www.enduringimagesphoto.com/G...wersCayuga.htm

www.lakehousesusa.com/cayuga-lake-new-york/

http://www.enduringimagesphoto.com/G.../Fountains.htm

ITHACA NY - Information>>>

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ithaca,_NY

www.frommers.com/destinations/ithaca/

Below is a Link Line to one of my previous posts which covers information about Ithaca, NY.
www.city-data.com/forum/17633928-post4.html

I hope that the above material helps you make an informed decision about relocating to New York State.

grdnrman

Last edited by grdnrman; 04-23-2012 at 03:31 PM..

Old 04-23-2012, 06:52 PM

93,290 posts, read 123,898,066 times
I think if you go with Schoharie County, Cobleskill with its SUNY campus, may be the best option.

Old 05-01-2012, 07:37 AM

Default Re: Schoharie County

Thanks for all your feedback! Especially about the Ithaca area. Right now I am thinking that I will pass on that particular piece of property. Not so much because of the Gay issue, but because of the general politics of the area. I subscribe to a Cobleskill newspaper and from what I have read, I don't really think I would fit in. The Fracking issue in particular upsets me. It seems there are more people approving, than disapproving. While there are pockets of dissent, it seems like they are marching forward toward ecological suicide.

I was only interested in that particular piece of property, and it relies on a spring for it's water source. If that got corrupted, I would have no other source.

Old 05-01-2012, 07:51 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,085,392 times
/\

You made a wise choice learning the "local" climate on issues before commiting, most people buy on looks alone and don't look at the bigger picture. Good luck as you continue your search..

Old 05-01-2012, 08:57 AM

93,290 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Like grdnrman said, you can find some nice rural land near areas where there is a visible gay community and where there would be more acceptance. You can go literally minutes from the city centers in Upstate NY and find what you are looking for.

Also, I know that the watershed around Syracuse will not be touched in terms of fracking. So, that may be something to consider.

Old 05-04-2012, 10:02 AM

341 posts, read 684,188 times
Don't forget about Western New York. You can go from Rural to city in 20 minutes. You can find that nice plot of land, in a very diverse community here.

DISCLAIMER: I live in WNY, so my opinion is biased

Old 05-16-2012, 10:58 AM

Once again thanks! The reason I had been interested in that piece of land was the location. I like the Schoharie Valley, as I spent many a childhood summer there. I also remember the one gay man in town, and how I was told not to talk to him. I didn't understand back then, but I now realize I would be him!

Old 05-16-2012, 01:28 PM

Default Gay Men's Wedding New York State or Vermont

There are beautiful scenic valleys, lakes, countryside all across Upstate New York from Western-Buff/Roch NY=(as TheITGuy said) to the Central-Syr NY area to the Eastern-Alb NY area. And as ckhthankgod said, there's nice rural land near all the Upstate NY cities such as: Syracuse, Rochester, Buffalo, Albany, Ithaca, Binghamton, Saratoga Springs/Glens Falls. I always say that Upstate New York residents are so blessed to live in such a gorgeous huge region in such a great state as progressive New York. There's great scenic areas around: Tully-Cortland-Dryden-Marathon-Hamilton-Norwich-Oneonta-Binghamton-Ithaca-Horseheads-Corning-Watkins Glen-Geneseo-Olean-Springville-Saratoga Springs-Glens Falls-and more.

Remember that New York State passed equal marriage civil rights for gay people. I recently saw a TV News interview with a San Diego area Navy man and his Marine boyfriend (both have served in the Middle-East Wars) who recently got engaged in California. When the interviewer asked whether and where they might get married, they said they always wanted a New York State or Vermont wedding. The same TV News program also interviewed a lesbian couple living somewhere in California. The women said that they have been a couple/together for over 40 years. They plan to wait and have a California wedding when gay marriage is reinstated in California. The interviewer thought it would be a great step forward to see bigoted anti-gay people/elements NOT succeed in denying gay/lesbian citizens from having equal civil rights as hetrosexual people already have and don't have discrimination laws specifically-enacted against them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York