Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 10:32 AM

119 posts, read 207,652 times

Advertisements

Could you please tell us more about the Glens Falls area,good place to raise a child,home prices,crime,etc?My wife,daughter and I live in nothern NJ and have been looking to leave for a while,its just where do we go?Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2012, 01:16 PM

93,358 posts, read 124,009,048 times
What are you looking for in a community?

Old 03-20-2012, 02:00 PM

506 posts, read 1,025,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUE COLLAR View Post
Could you please tell us more about the Glens Falls area,good place to raise a child,home prices,crime,etc?My wife,daughter and I live in nothern NJ and have been looking to leave for a while,its just where do we go?Thanks.
The Glens Falls area is nice. If you plan on commuting to Albany for a job though, the commute can be troublesome especially if your work hours are between 8:00 and 5:00. If your job is in Warren, Washington or Saratoga County than the commute won't be nearly as bad.

If you are into activities like hiking, boating, fishing and skiing you would be on the doorstep of the Adirondacks which has an abundance of those activities.

Old 03-20-2012, 05:44 PM

My wife,child and I live in NW NJ about an hour and a half outside NYC,it's rural by Jersey standards but over the years has gotten crowded and expensive.We're looking for a safe place with nice people that we can afford to live in.I work two full time jobs,I sell firearms and have a small landscaping company,my wife drives a school bus.We'd like to be close to jobs,shopping,health care,etc but still live on a few acres of property.We all like snow and I do plow as part of my winter work.Thanks again for any help.

Old 03-20-2012, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUE COLLAR View Post
My wife,child and I live in NW NJ about an hour and a half outside NYC,it's rural by Jersey standards but over the years has gotten crowded and expensive.We're looking for a safe place with nice people that we can afford to live in.I work two full time jobs,I sell firearms and have a small landscaping company,my wife drives a school bus.We'd like to be close to jobs,shopping,health care,etc but still live on a few acres of property.We all like snow and I do plow as part of my winter work.Thanks again for any help.
Glens Falls would probably, eventhough you could probably pick rural areas in any area of Upstate NY.

Old 03-20-2012, 07:59 PM

ckhthankgod,,I'm pretty sure we're looking for a balance of a small city and a rural area.I have read many of your posts and value your knowlage,if you would suggest other areas,I'd be greatful.Thanks again.

Old 03-22-2012, 01:30 AM

961 posts, read 2,504,251 times
Glens Falls is a real nice location. I have family there. Maybe you should do a weekend look see trip...might want to include the southern tier.

Old 03-26-2012, 05:11 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,626,751 times
Glens Falls is a decent small city. It's not a crap hole like some places. Safe to walk around. Decent schools. There's plenty of local and national chain shopping and dining. You may have to venture to Queensbury or Saratoga for some things, but it's not like you can't get groceries nearby. Lots of parks also. If you like old houses. there's tons of them!

It's close to Lake George so the kids could go to the lake all summer. There's a HUGE winter fest on the lake every year. It's pretty cool. A nice family event.

Old 03-27-2012, 07:32 PM

275 posts, read 793,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
If you like old houses. there's tons of them!
What would the average 3 br house run? I've been looking at Realtor.com but I can't get a feel if most of these places are money pits or are they decently kept older houses. I've been looking for something to snowbird to during the warmer months (Apr - Oct).

Old 03-27-2012, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlandoyankee View Post
What would the average 3 br house run? I've been looking at Realtor.com but I can't get a feel if most of these places are money pits or are they decently kept older houses. I've been looking for something to snowbird to during the warmer months (Apr - Oct).
Try here: RealtyUSA - Property - Property-List
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York