Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2006, 06:28 PM

275 posts, read 792,878 times

Advertisements

I'm originally from NYC. Moved to FL in the late 70s. I am retiring next year and am thinking of moving at least part-year to the Glens Falls area. Any thoughts on decent towns in that area? I would like to stay within 60 miles of Albany and I would also like to be near the Amtrak lines so that I can go down to NYC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2008, 04:36 PM

7 posts, read 30,132 times
Smile You should Consider Downtown Glens Falls

Many people are now looking at Glens Falls as a desirable place to live. Saratoga Springs is beautiful but the home values are gettig pricey and so are the taxes. So people are looking to go North and are recognizing that they can get more home for their dollar.

In Downtown Glens Falls, a major revitalization is taking place. You can look at the new Condos going into the Downtown or Loft Apartments. The Amtrak Station located in Fort Edward is very close by and you would have easy access to this form of transportation.

Old 07-30-2008, 03:54 PM

42 posts, read 184,567 times
Default Definetly Consider Glens Falls Area

I have lived in a suburb of Glens Falls, Queensbury, my whole life, and I think that Queensbury is a lot better. First of all, Glens Falls has no mall. Also, I think that overall, Queensbury is cleaner. One good thing about Glens Falls is that it is less expensive to live there than Queensbury. Also, there are many stores in Glens Falls and the few that are in Queensbury, you don't go to often. Also, the closest hospital from Queensbury is in Glens Falls.

I definetely think you should consider either of these places.

Old 07-30-2008, 06:00 PM

93,166 posts, read 123,783,345 times
How are things like crime, cultural events, schools, neighborhoods, "diversity" and the job market in Glens Falls?

Old 11-20-2008, 05:56 PM

42 posts, read 184,567 times
Default Glens Falls Area

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
How are things like crime, cultural events, schools, neighborhoods, "diversity" and the job market in Glens Falls?
The crime in the Glens Falls area is very minimal, mostly small crimes that don't even matter that much. The Warren County Sheriff's Department does a very nice job keeping the area safe. The schools in the area are very nice. But the Queensbury School District is much better than Glens Falls schools. But if you live in Glens Falls, it would be a better choice to go to the schools there. For cultural events, there aren't really that many other than the balloon festival, LARAC festival, and the Charles R. Wood Theatre. There aren't that many well known neighborhoods, but in Queensbury, The Pines is a very nice area to live in, but it's pretty expensive. Other than that, the neighborhood that I lived in was Tyneswood, and it's very nice, and much less expensive than The Pines. For racial diversity, it's not that diverse. For the job market, there are more jobs in Glens Falls, but it depends what area you live in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York