Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 05:27 PM

1 posts, read 3,881 times

Advertisements

I am 33 yr old mom to 3 kids, going through a divorce after 14 yrs of marriage. I live in Texas and it sucks!!! My boyfriend is from Brooklyn Ny, he has come to Texas and we tried that but just too much of a culture shock for him, plus he is Puerto Rican and very family oriented. He has lived in Brooklyn his entire life and doesnt know much about other areas of new york, so we would like to move closer to his family...I am wanting to relocate to New York but think Brooklyn is just too big for me...Can anyone give me some suggestions on what would be a good, affordable, safe place to live with good schools and decent jr colleges because I am a full time student..any info is greatly appreciated, please and thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2012, 08:10 PM

93,315 posts, read 123,941,088 times
What is the limit in terms of distance from Brooklyn? Perhaps something in the Hudson Valley/Catskill area may work.

Maybe something near Amsterdam, which is a small city with a high Puerto Rican percentage. There are community colleges close by in Schenectady, Gloversville and Cobleskill. If you are looking for good schools in that area, you may like districts like Niskayuna, Scotia, Broadalbin-Perth, Schalmont, Fonda-Fultonville and Canajoharie.

Old 03-08-2012, 04:05 AM

570 posts, read 1,340,313 times
Something to consider: if the time and distance to NYC is more important criteria than being in New York State itself, you may also want to consider parts of NJ and PA.

Old 03-08-2012, 05:44 AM

3,122 posts, read 4,953,507 times
Yes many areas of Brooklyn fit your bill.....I would try Bed-Stuy, East N.Y., Brownsville, Crown Heights, East Flatbush, Fort Greene all come to mind, plus if your from Texas, you should fit right in

Old 03-08-2012, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daydreamin71 View Post
Something to consider: if the time and distance to NYC is more important criteria than being in New York State itself, you may also want to consider parts of NJ and PA.
Great point and if culture is a factor, there are areas in NE PA with visible to relatively large Puerto Rican communities. Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton is an area that comes to mind.

Old 03-09-2012, 09:53 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,997,457 times
Big ifs. Where in Texas? Austin is alot different than Lubbock. Where in Brooklyn? Williamsburgh is alot different than Sunset Park. There will be a tremendous culture shock. I'm from Brooklyn and have lived in TX. The only direct relation is Austin to Williamsburgh which is basically hipster to hipster.

Brooklyn is big but neighborhood centric. Most of what you'll do is close to home and if not, it will be a hassle. Not many "Jr Colleges" (if any). Kingsborough is the main community college. It's not a bad place. In a very nice, upscale neighborhood that is primarily Russian now.

As for schools, Brooklyn will be tough. Elementaries are usually ok everywhere but middle and high schools get rough. Smart kids will rise to the top but there will be some bad elements. Texas is generally no prize either, just a different size scale (again, depending on where in Texas).

It is generally helpful to have family close (but not too close, LOL) if you get along so Brooklyn can be good. There is a pride in Brooklyn you don't find too many other places in the world. When you start to see past the gruff exteriors to the good hearts within, you might find you like it.

Shopping in Brooklyn will be a complete nightmare after Texas. No Albertsons, HEB's or nice supermarkets. Just crowded, dirty places HOWEVER lots of great and cheap small ethnic markets where you can get everything you need, or you make day trips out to the 'burbs for Target, Walmart, etc.

Just visit. It's the only way to form an honest opinion. Good luck.

Old 03-11-2012, 12:16 AM

5,719 posts, read 6,447,355 times
I would not move from Texas to New York. Find a more liberal part or Texas, or move to California or a liberal part of Florida.

I look at people who move to the northeast from parts of the country with beautiful weather and a cheap cost of living with fear and suspicion. If you're moving from East Bum **** Mississippi, that's one thing, but you CAN find a liberal part of Texas if you look.

New York can only be enjoyable if you were raised in a part of the country with miserable weather.

Old 03-11-2012, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
I would not move from Texas to New York. Find a more liberal part or Texas, or move to California or a liberal part of Florida.

I look at people who move to the northeast from parts of the country with beautiful weather and a cheap cost of living with fear and suspicion. If you're moving from East Bum **** Mississippi, that's one thing, but you CAN find a liberal part of Texas if you look.

New York can only be enjoyable if you were raised in a part of the country with miserable weather.
Why? What if you like winter sports? Maybe people don't feel that their current location isn't for them.

Also, summers can be miserably hot in warm weather locales. So, weather is subjective.

Old 03-11-2012, 08:43 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,447,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Why? What if you like winter sports? Maybe people don't feel that their current location isn't for them.

Also, summers can be miserably hot in warm weather locales. So, weather is subjective.
I think it's easy to say you'd love a nice white Christmas but if you didn't actually grow up here I can't see ever being able to adjust to our winters. This last winter was an aberration... usually it is miserable and the only way I could understand getting through it is if it's all you know.

Old 03-11-2012, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
I think it's easy to say you'd love a nice white Christmas but if you didn't actually grow up here I can't see ever being able to adjust to our winters. This last winter was an aberration... usually it is miserable and the only way I could understand getting through it is if it's all you know.
You never know. My parents are from the South and have lived up here for about 45-50 years. So, it isn't anything new.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York