Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 05:40 PM

111 posts, read 267,147 times

Advertisements

I moved here from TX and I think it's the best decision I've ever made.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2012, 06:22 PM

93,415 posts, read 124,120,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgar477 View Post
I moved here from TX and I think it's the best decision I've ever made.
If you don't mind me asking, where in TX did you move from and where in NY did you move to?

Old 03-12-2012, 07:43 PM

866 posts, read 1,138,152 times
I grew up in upstate new york, kingston/saugerties...would go down to the city every year
at christmas time...mom's family mostly lived there...could not wait to get out of that state...
now live in north central texas, 90 miles north of dallas...you couldn't pay me enough to go back
to new york to live, especially the city...cost of living is #1 reason, too d*** expensive, too many people, not a lot of trees, grass etc, and winters can be brutal...spent 2 years in new york as an adult and hated every minute of it...will never go back...just my 2 cents worth...

Old 03-12-2012, 10:29 PM

275 posts, read 416,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs whoodie whoo View Post
I am 33 yr old mom to 3 kids, going through a divorce after 14 yrs of marriage. I live in Texas and it sucks!!! My boyfriend is from Brooklyn Ny, he has come to Texas and we tried that but just too much of a culture shock for him, plus he is Puerto Rican and very family oriented. He has lived in Brooklyn his entire life and doesnt know much about other areas of new york, so we would like to move closer to his family...I am wanting to relocate to New York but think Brooklyn is just too big for me...Can anyone give me some suggestions on what would be a good, affordable, safe place to live with good schools and decent jr colleges because I am a full time student..any info is greatly appreciated, please and thank you
You may think Texas "sucks," but wait until you experience the cost of living in New York. But, if you think Texas "sucks" so much, don't let the door hit you on the way out . . .

Old 03-12-2012, 10:38 PM

275 posts, read 416,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose65 View Post
Big ifs. Where in Texas? Austin is alot different than Lubbock. Where in Brooklyn? Williamsburgh is alot different than Sunset Park. There will be a tremendous culture shock. I'm from Brooklyn and have lived in TX. The only direct relation is Austin to Williamsburgh which is basically hipster to hipster.
"The only direct relation is Austin to Williamsburgh which is basically hipster to hipster." This makes me laugh really hard. Austin is NOTHING like any place in New York. Austin is the state capital and home of the University of Texas' main campus. Austin is has had many out of staters locate there, but at its heart, it is VERY Texan, which does not equate to too many "hipsters."

Old 03-12-2012, 10:45 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,612,567 times
As someone who is looking into doing the reverse of you, (NYC to Texas) I can say be prepared for culture shock on your end as well.

NYC is expensive, be prepared to pay double or triple the rent you are making now and you'll be lucky if you can find a job that will cover all of your expenses. Brooklyn is not that bad, you just have to know where to look. However you will be hard pressed to find anything for less than $1k a month in rent.

I would visit first before considering making the jump to move there. Worst case scenario, there's always New Jersey which depending on the area can be cheaper.

Old 03-13-2012, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nativetexasgal View Post
You may think Texas "sucks," but wait until you experience the cost of living in New York. But, if you think Texas "sucks" so much, don't let the door hit you on the way out . . .
It depends on where you are in NY State though. Syracuse and Austin area communities have roughly the same cost of living. So, NY is not monolithic in that regard.

Also, there are plenty of areas of the state that aren't crowded and with plenty of grass and natural areas.

Old 03-16-2012, 02:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
If you don't mind me asking, where in TX did you move from and where in NY did you move to?
I moved from south Texas and now live right outstide Syracuse.

Old 03-16-2012, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgar477 View Post
I moved from south Texas and now live right outstide Syracuse.
Did you live in a similar neighborhood in Texas or do you live in a different type of neighborhood?

Old 03-16-2012, 07:10 PM

Similar neighborhood to where I live now? Not at all. I live out in the country where it's nice and peaceful. The only complaint I have where I live now is that I am far from anything. The closest town to me is Manlius and that's still like a 10 min drive. I lived along the TX-MX border where I had to put up with the drug smuglers and illegals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York