Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2008, 07:12 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,820,073 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by londonbarcelona View Post
Perhaps I didn't make my last post clear. I feel Buffalo should be given back all the money they have sent down to NYC! It appears to me that Buffalo is always financing some new project in NYC while nothing is done about the WNY area.
No, I fully agree with you. If Buffalo and WNY got back the money down state gets from us, we'd all be well off.

What else drives me nuts is that w/NYC being so darn expensive, and companies outsourcing out of the country... cripe, they could "outsource" to the poorer areas of upstate NY! Put your non - "face to face" operations here and save a bundle. Use telecommuting and computer/fax/phone. I bet lots of companies could cut costs enormously. Lord only knows there is tons of office space and cheaper housing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2008, 08:46 PM

17 posts, read 96,014 times
Quote:
What else drives me nuts is that w/NYC being so darn expensive, and companies outsourcing out of the country... cripe, they could "outsource" to the poorer areas of upstate NY! Put your non - "face to face" operations here and save a bundle. Use telecommuting and computer/fax/phone. I bet lots of companies could cut costs enormously. Lord only knows there is tons of office space and cheaper housing!

You hit the nail right on the head. That article made me disgusted with the people running things down there. "We need their water and a place to dump off our loads of criminals". How vile can these clowns get?

Old 06-10-2009, 10:49 AM

1 posts, read 2,049 times
I have long had this desire. Don't you think that Tom Golisano's recent departure from New York State also verifies these below thoughts? There is a Facebook group entitled 'Upstate "West York" Separation Movement.' The group has 420 members. We need to be more public in our sentiments for it to occur. Golisano as the first Governor of Upper New York/West York is viable for all of us. New York Separatists Unite!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstaterInBklyn View Post
I thought this would be an interesting topic of discussion:

Would dividing NYS into two states, Upstate and NYC, be a good idea?

If so, how should each individual state conduct it's affairs?

I was born and raised in Buffalo, and now live in NYC, so I've seen the state's economic/political nexus from both sides.

The reality is ALL political power and decision-making for NYS happens in NYC, for the benefit of NYC. And the fact is, that the economy and culture of NYC vs. Upstate are complete opposites. In NYC the top issues are 1) Affordable housing, 2) Quality of life issues (traffic, noise, etc.), and 3) The environment. In Upstate, the top three issues are 1) Economic/job growth, 1) Economic/job growth, and 3) Economic/job growth.

The two parts of the state have diametrically opposite needs. I am a devoted, small-government, Jeffersonian Libertarian, but I can see how a some 'big government' is actually necessary down here, to keep the City livable. Upstate, however, has its economy suffocated by big government.

I sincerely believe that NYS should be divided into two states, with the border cutting across the northern edge of Orange/Putnam counties. However the new state of "Upper New York" would not be successful unless it adopted small-government, low-tax policies and encouraged entreprenuership.

Old 06-10-2009, 04:33 PM

922 posts, read 3,862,383 times
Apparently, It's time to think about three states.

Now Long Island wants out, and NYC itself has had a secessionist movement for 40 years!

Plus, Staten Island has been grumbling about seceding from NYC for years too, they actually brought it a referendum in 1993 that was defeated. I wonder what state they would join? New Jersey?

Old 06-11-2009, 07:14 AM

275 posts, read 793,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue56 View Post
I have long had this desire. Don't you think that Tom Golisano's recent departure from New York State also verifies these below thoughts? There is a Facebook group entitled 'Upstate "West York" Separation Movement.' The group has 420 members. We need to be more public in our sentiments for it to occur. Golisano as the first Governor of Upper New York/West York is viable for all of us. New York Separatists Unite!
As a native of NYC. I couldn't agree more. As long as the electorate in NYC completely dominate NYS politics by continuously electing governors and US senators that have nothing but NYC in mind, the rest of NYS will suffer economically. I say the time for secession from NYC is highly overdue. I believe that the separated NYS would eventually flourish with the right leadership.

Old 11-11-2009, 05:13 PM

1 posts, read 1,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstaterInBklyn View Post
I thought this would be an interesting topic of discussion:

Would dividing NYS into two states, Upstate and NYC, be a good idea?

If so, how should each individual state conduct it's affairs?

I was born and raised in Buffalo, and now live in NYC, so I've seen the state's economic/political nexus from both sides.

The reality is ALL political power and decision-making for NYS happens in NYC, for the benefit of NYC. And the fact is, that the economy and culture of NYC vs. Upstate are complete opposites. In NYC the top issues are 1) Affordable housing, 2) Quality of life issues (traffic, noise, etc.), and 3) The environment. In Upstate, the top three issues are 1) Economic/job growth, 1) Economic/job growth, and 3) Economic/job growth.

The two parts of the state have diametrically opposite needs. I am a devoted, small-government, Jeffersonian Libertarian, but I can see how a some 'big government' is actually necessary down here, to keep the City livable. Upstate, however, has its economy suffocated by big government.

I sincerely believe that NYS should be divided into two states, with the border cutting across the northern edge of Orange/Putnam counties. However the new state of "Upper New York" would not be successful unless it adopted small-government, low-tax policies and encouraged entreprenuership.
NYC is nothing more than a concrete money pit for the rest of Western NY. Western NY has been supporting NYC for too many years and a need to stop should be considered, seriously considered. The split, no matter which way you look at, would be a breath of fresh air for everyone in Western NY. Look at our politicians, they keep forgetting they work for the people, not the people working for them. Again, here we are, another Budget Crisis, thank you Gov. Patterson good job pal. The politicians need to be reminded on a daily they work for the people ! And the people should have more say so in what goes on in Albany, NY.
It's to bad a political position can not be like a regular job position. 60 day probation period. Job performance report,and no raises or benefits until you are hired full time. I guess that only happens in the real world of the real people, not political people. I can guarantee half of these incompetent individuals would be out of a job.
I know in another 1 1/2 after I receive my Associates Degree, NYS politicians can kiss my boot heels as I cross the state line. They have created such bad taste in my mouth and most likely many more as well. And yet everyone reading this, How many commercials do you see that talk about the beauty of NYS. I remember the commercials of yester year, I Love NY, but thats all in the past now. Buried in our memeories, never to be heard from again or seen. Now all we have are Budget Crisis, high taxes unemployment at a new high, and a beautiful dying a so painful death, thanks to those individuals in Albany.
And Western NY still bailing out NYC, a city so big, its 2 baseball teams, 2 basketball teams, 2 football teams, 2 hockey teams. Overly expensive real estate, expensive over priced eating establishments, but look at Western NY, barely survivng. And who do we have to thank for such a custer @%*#, our notoriuos politicains who lie to us. Plus the fact they are not even man enough to admit they made mistakes, instead they pass the blame buck. Just like yesterday in Albany, it cost taxpayers $35,000 a person for these individulas to come from Albany even though nothing was done about the budget. Way to go guys, good job !

Old 11-11-2009, 07:03 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,342,651 times
Lets get the show on the road, NYC gives more than it gets back so I'd like for someone to fill me in on how other NYS regions are bailing NYC out (seriously I'm not being arrogant I'm really curious).

Upstate and Downstate have different needs, their marriage was fun while it lasted but its on the rocks now and they need a divorce. Upstate keeps Albany & Paterson as part of the settlement.

Old 11-12-2009, 01:46 PM

1,147 posts, read 1,899,760 times
Where do "upstaters" get the idea that they are the ones footing the bill from?

NYC, LI, and Westchester pay way more in taxes then they get back, unlike upstate.

I like upstate. Lived in Syracuse for 7 years. But I am sooooo tired of hearing about the "big bad downstaters stealing your taxes" myth.

Old 11-12-2009, 07:49 PM

784 posts, read 2,730,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman56 View Post
NYC is nothing more than a concrete money pit for the rest of Western NY. Western NY has been supporting NYC for too many years and a need to stop should be considered, seriously considered. The split, no matter which way you look at, would be a breath of fresh air for everyone in Western NY. Look at our politicians, they keep forgetting they work for the people, not the people working for them. Again, here we are, another Budget Crisis, thank you Gov. Patterson good job pal. The politicians need to be reminded on a daily they work for the people ! And the people should have more say so in what goes on in Albany, NY.
It's to bad a political position can not be like a regular job position. 60 day probation period. Job performance report,and no raises or benefits until you are hired full time. I guess that only happens in the real world of the real people, not political people. I can guarantee half of these incompetent individuals would be out of a job.
I know in another 1 1/2 after I receive my Associates Degree, NYS politicians can kiss my boot heels as I cross the state line. They have created such bad taste in my mouth and most likely many more as well. And yet everyone reading this, How many commercials do you see that talk about the beauty of NYS. I remember the commercials of yester year, I Love NY, but thats all in the past now. Buried in our memeories, never to be heard from again or seen. Now all we have are Budget Crisis, high taxes unemployment at a new high, and a beautiful dying a so painful death, thanks to those individuals in Albany.
And Western NY still bailing out NYC, a city so big, its 2 baseball teams, 2 basketball teams, 2 football teams, 2 hockey teams. Overly expensive real estate, expensive over priced eating establishments, but look at Western NY, barely survivng. And who do we have to thank for such a custer @%*#, our notoriuos politicains who lie to us. Plus the fact they are not even man enough to admit they made mistakes, instead they pass the blame buck. Just like yesterday in Albany, it cost taxpayers $35,000 a person for these individulas to come from Albany even though nothing was done about the budget. Way to go guys, good job !
hahahahahahaha. Where do you get your facts from? NYC pays more to Albany in state taxes than we do in services.

Please secede. Without upstate NY, we'd have more money in our coffers.

Old 11-13-2009, 12:08 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,388,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman56 View Post

No, sorry. Downstate, namely NYC, brings in most of the states revenue. Without us, you guys would be in serious financial trouble. It is downstate that funds upstate, not the other way around.

And you think your real estate prices are high? Try trying to get something decent on LI for under $350k. Can't be done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York