Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 01:16 PM

12 posts, read 35,174 times

Advertisements

I'll be moving to Corning for work pretty soon.

To give you a bit of background I'm a young single man (in my mid 20s) with very little in terms of anything holding me back from moving and taking an awesome job. But my question is, is the Corning area really bad for a young single professional? Is there any form of a nightlife on the weekends or do people generally go to Ithaca or drive to Rochester to tune out of work?

Any help is really appreciated. And if anyone has any suggestions for housing rentals other than craigslist I'd really appreciate it. The available apartments are not really all that appealing so I'd rather rent a house if possible.

Thanks for reading.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2012, 01:58 PM

Thank you so much. This is helpful. I'm a big car guy so I the SCCA in Watkins Glen is easy to join up with.

Thanks again.

Old 01-10-2012, 02:20 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,214,540 times
What do you like to do?

Corning offers reasonable night life and I would recommend getting a place within stumbling distance if that is your thing

Some options as well as you head out towards Elmira ... I guess you could hit Ithaca as well, depending on what you were looking for - but I imagine going to either of those on a consistent basis could get old fairly quick

Old 01-10-2012, 07:15 PM

4,277 posts, read 11,780,009 times
Also a road rally held nearby: STPR - Waste Management Susquehannock Trail Performance Rally (STPR) (it was pushed out of NY State years ago when racing on public roads was outlawed)

Old 01-11-2012, 05:52 AM

36 posts, read 103,763 times
We're moving there too in the next couple of months, most likely, so, hi, fellow newcomer. We're about the same age but we have a family and do family-types of things, and not relocating for a career or anything, so we're probably not going to run around the same circles or anything - but just wanted to say hello regardless.

Old 01-11-2012, 08:37 AM

Thanks for the positive feedback everyone. I'm not a party animal or anything by any means but I do enjoy a social scene and just seeing people out and about. I just hope it's not a ghost down after 5PM I guess is the best way of putting it.

Glad to see there's a rally held near by. I'm really a car guy more than anything so between that and Watkins glen I'm feeling a lot better about moving.

And as a side question, is snow a problem in Corning?

Old 01-11-2012, 10:25 AM

1,350 posts, read 3,543,598 times
Where are you moving from? If you're use to a big city Corning is definitely going to be a culture shock (and likely a major disappointment) but if you are use to small towns then Corning will be alright. I always thought Corning offered a little more than a typical town of 10K but that doesn't mean there are a ton of things to do either. The good news is that you'll be within an hour & a half from Rochester, Ithaca, Binghamton & Williamsport, PA which all offer much more in terms of nightlife/entertainment.

Last edited by jblake78728; 01-11-2012 at 10:35 AM..

Old 01-11-2012, 11:06 AM

I'm from a small town called Fort Washington, PA. I'm used to a small town but always had the convenience of being close to Philadelphia. I'm definitely expecting a culture shock but hope there are enough single people to make friends with out there to make it a good experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York