Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 12:13 PM

93,611 posts, read 124,322,716 times

Advertisements

The Elmira Jackals

Elmira Pioneers Baseball - Official Site

http://www.clemenscenter.com/

Welcome to Elmira Little Theatre

Home Page

Welcome to the Arnot Art Museum

The National Soaring Museum - Harris Hill, Elmira, NY
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2012, 01:26 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,239,344 times
Jackals games are fun - that's a nice little arena there as well

I wish the Pios were still affiliated ..... but always loved going to Dunn Field as a kid

Overall you should be fine there ..... may find yourself going up to the Rochester area depending on what you like (certain concerts, etc), but a surprising number of things do happen in the elmira/corning region.

Definitely will be singles and young people around - you are also sure to meet people from work ...... while many people will have friends going back to HS, it's not that hard to break into cliques as people are generally interested in new people and those who have made their way in

Also, when corning inc was booming they imported a lot of talent so you may come across people who were in your shoes not that long ago

The city doesn't roll up at 5pm, however some may find the options for things to see/do to get redundant pretty fast.

You will have snow - it will be more of a factor than the philadelphia region - however, it's generally workable ... especially in the city ...... sometimes things can get a little dicey in the hills around corning, but all up it's manageable and the maintenance crews do a good job

Old 03-01-2012, 01:27 PM

12 posts, read 35,232 times
Default Update on living in Corning

Just a quick update. I've been living in Corning a month now and the winter is brutal up here (despite the lack of snow and being a few degrees warmer than usual this winter).

The food up here is way better than I could expect. Market street is nice, I really like the snooty pig but there are nooooooooooooo single people out here is what I'm discovering.

It's funny, I told a co worker I wasn't married when they asked and she said "You moved up here alone?? Good luck with that one."

Plenty of single people in Ithaca but the drive back limits how much fun I can have lol.

Old 03-01-2012, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moverspa View Post
Just a quick update. I've been living in Corning a month now and the winter is brutal up here (despite the lack of snow and being a few degrees warmer than usual this winter).

The food up here is way better than I could expect. Market street is nice, I really like the snooty pig but there are nooooooooooooo single people out here is what I'm discovering.

It's funny, I told a co worker I wasn't married when they asked and she said "You moved up here alone?? Good luck with that one."

Plenty of single people in Ithaca but the drive back limits how much fun I can have lol.
Have you made the trip up to Rochester yet?

Old 03-01-2012, 01:58 PM

570 posts, read 1,341,719 times
Quote:

Try Maley's on the other end of Market Street from the Pig.

Old 03-01-2012, 06:38 PM

4,277 posts, read 11,800,814 times
Where are the gas people hanging out?

Old 03-02-2012, 09:44 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,239,344 times
You just need to find some spots - don't hesitate or think there is a stigma with using online sites either ...... at worst it could open up a network of other options

Also keep in mind that it's nearing the end of winter ..... this is probably the "slow season" for many things ...... at this point people are a little more cranky and just tired of it ..... business should pick up when the weather turns in spring

Old 03-05-2012, 10:51 AM

Well I'm definitely trying to maintain a positive spin on the experience.

I'm not sure where the "Gas" people are. I've heard they hang out on market street and are pretty loud but I haven't seen any of them. It's also quite possible they're out later than me during the work week. I have to drive pretty far to get home since I couldn't find a decent place to live in Corning until of course after I signed my lease.

I hope the thaw comes soon.

Old 03-05-2012, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Well I'm definitely trying to maintain a positive spin on the experience.

I'm not sure where the "Gas" people are. I've heard they hang out on market street and are pretty loud but I haven't seen any of them. It's also quite possible they're out later than me during the work week. I have to drive pretty far to get home since I couldn't find a decent place to live in Corning until of course after I signed my lease.

I hope the thaw comes soon.
Where did you find a place at?

Old 03-05-2012, 11:47 AM

I ended up in Montour Falls.

I would have held out for something closer but the apartment I have is real nice and has a lot of space. I just hate that commute down 414.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York