Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 11:19 PM

11 posts, read 27,296 times

Advertisements

My family and I are thinking of moving to either Warrensburg or Saranac NY. My wife is a nurse. We are wondering what the starting pay for a nurse with at least one year of experience is. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2011, 08:27 AM

263 posts, read 626,296 times
There is a big difference between Saranac ( coldest place in NY) and Warrensburg ( easy commute to Glens falls hospital and civilization) lot of options in Warrensburg as far as jobs and the ability to use whatever skill set you have, very limited options in Saranac, simply to isolated and too few options, however, it is the kind of place some people love, the beautiful scenery, quiet Winters, and provincial attitude etc.
As far as salaries, simply go to any Hospital web side and see for yourself. Good luck

Old 09-22-2011, 10:37 AM

11 posts, read 27,296 times
Thanks for the info.

Old 09-22-2011, 03:40 PM

93,412 posts, read 124,084,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland 544 View Post
There is a big difference between Saranac ( coldest place in NY) and Warrensburg ( easy commute to Glens falls hospital and civilization) lot of options in Warrensburg as far as jobs and the ability to use whatever skill set you have, very limited options in Saranac, simply to isolated and too few options, however, it is the kind of place some people love, the beautiful scenery, quiet Winters, and provincial attitude etc.
As far as salaries, simply go to any Hospital web side and see for yourself. Good luck
Actually, Saranac is near Plattsburgh. I think you are thinking of Saranac Lake, which also has a hospital and is a tourist community. Governor Cuomo vacations there too. Saranac is a very rural town. Pretty much any town in either area is going to be pretty quiet and largely safe.

Old 09-26-2011, 01:56 PM

655 posts, read 2,328,868 times
Default ?? Warrensburg or Saranac Lake ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolf74 View Post
My family and I are thinking of moving to either Warrensburg or Saranac NY. My wife is a nurse. We are wondering what the starting pay for a nurse with at least one year of experience is. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
Hello lonewolf74,

I am a guy who grew up in a very rural area about 50 minutes north of Utica-NY (3 main hospitals) and that was isolated enough for me. I now live in Suburban Syracuse (5 main hospitals & 1 children's hospital) and MUCH PREFER living closer to a reasonable sized city. But I do understand that there are people who MUCH PREFER to live in a nice quiet, unspoiled, far-removed-from-civilization, very nature-surrounded land area; not many people, nice lakes, mountains, evergreen forests, all kinds of wildlife, unpolluted air, snow skiing, VERY COLD winter temperatures & VERY HEAVY snowfall for many months time. An area where you can almost hear a bird's fallen feather hit the ground because the surroundings are SO quiet.

I think there's quite a DIFFERENCE between Saranac (I think your are referring to Saranac Lake) and Warrensburg. Saranac Lake is a village (Adirondack Medical Center is there) located at the intersection of highway Routes 3 & 86 & 18 & 33 about 10 miles northwest of Lake Placid. There is also the hamlet of Saranac on Route 3 which is about 35 miles northeast of Saranac Lake. And there is the hamlet of Saranac Inn located on Route 46 just off Route 30 about 12 miles west of Saranac Lake. Naturally, that WHOLE REGION is VERY isolated. The closest "larger" village (small city) is Plattsburgh=not a very close drive. If you want to visit a real city, that would be Burlington-VT, across Lake Champlain--THAT'S IT!! No sizeable cities nearby unless you drive (high gas prices) north to Montreal-Que. or southward to Glens Falls-NY.

Warrensburg is a quiet village/area with mountains around, near Lake George (lake & village), the Hudson River, wilderness, evergreen & hardwood forests, wildlife, snow skiing, not as isolated as Saranac Lake. Warrensburg is quite mountain-rural but much closer to civilization conveniences and more convenient to travel/drive to the small cities of Glens Falls (Glens Falls Hospital) or Saratoga Springs (Saratoga Hospital) or farther south to the Capital District Metro cities=Cohoes/Latham/Troy/Colonie/Schenectady/Albany=Metro area.

So, it depends on what you are looking for/what you prefer. Extreme isolation FROM the rest of civilization and its closeby amenities/conveniences (few jobs)=Saranac Lake. OR. Reasonable isolation FROM civilization near you, BUT (more jobs) civilization and its amenities/conveniences about 16 miles away at Glens Falls OR about 35 miles to Saratoga Springs OR about 65 miles to the Capital District Metro area/Alb.

By the way, the Lake George/lake area is absolutely gorgeous/scenic/beautiful; quiet in the winter, with the area close to the Village of Lake George and hamlet of Bolton Landing busier resort towns in the summertime (4 months). The east shore/east side of Lake George/lake is quieter year-round. Click on the Link Line below to see a great photo of the Lake George area at the top of that page.

www.lakegeorgeguide.com/

I hope that I have given you some informational thoughts for you to consider. Feel free to ask additional questions anytime in the future.

grdnrman

Old 09-26-2011, 04:57 PM

2,909 posts, read 4,272,140 times
How much do you like cold??

My friends kid goes to PSC and last winter she would post pics on Facebook of the temp and living here where it gets pretty cold those numbers made my eyes pop out.

Don't hold me to this but if I recall right I think I remember -30 or even -40. And not just for a day or two either, think weeks.

Looking up NY's record cold and the records are from my home county(Herkimer) but North of were I lived. I remember when it went -50 in 1979. In the news I mean. I remember back in the early 90's it went to 40ish below, that was a real bad day of the farm, nothing would start.

The top ten spots for the most number of days with the lowest temperature in the contiguous US between 1995 and 2005:
Location Days of Lowest
Temperature in US
Stanley, Idaho 398
West Yellowstone, Montana 337
Gunnison, Colorado 170
Truckee, California 161
Alamosa, Colorado 142
Saranac Lake, New York 128
Jackson, Wyoming 109
Berlin, New Hampshire 92
Fraser, Colorado 91
Wisdom, Montana 91

Last edited by Sean®; 09-26-2011 at 05:16 PM..

Old 09-26-2011, 06:25 PM

570 posts, read 1,340,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolf74 View Post
I don't have any personal experience with the salaries up there, however indeed.com does give some information. Just plug in the title "RN" or "RN + specialty" and the town of the hospital you're looking at. Take it with a grain of salt, but at least it may be a starting point. Good luck!

Old 09-26-2011, 06:41 PM

19,058 posts, read 13,973,458 times
Saranac Lake is a beautiful little town. I'm going to have to plan another trip up there soon. It's on my list of possible retirement locations. As already mentioned, you really do have to be someone who can deal with, hell, ENJOYS, extreme cold to move up there though.

Old 09-27-2011, 05:57 AM

93,412 posts, read 124,084,833 times
I'm sure that the OP is thinking of Saranac Lake, everyone. There is a town of Saranac near Plattsburgh, with its own school district. I say that because Warrensburg is a similar smaller town that is close to a similar sized small city. Warrensburg also has its own SD.

Saranac Central School District Home Page

Warrensburg Central School

Old 10-03-2011, 12:18 PM

24 posts, read 89,413 times
Default Nursing options

I think those that don't live up here make more to do about the temps than is necessary, but maybe that's a provincial attitude, I'm not sure...

In terms of nursing jobs, you have Adirondack Medical Center in Saranac Lake (with a branch hospital in Lake Placid) and CVPH Medical Center in Plattsburgh, which is reasonably close to Saranac. The wage scales are very competitive as you can imagine it is tough to recruit folks from outside the local communities. Very simple to call the HR departments at either and ask for the wage scales for a nurse coming into the institution. CVPH is unionized, so the wage scales are very public. Not sure about AMC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York