Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2006, 11:49 AM

57 posts, read 178,697 times

Advertisements

I am thinking of retirement in the Adirondacks, but with a ten year old daughter. so good schools are important. A house with 5-20 acres. What would be good areas in the adirondack region to start looking?
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2006, 10:18 AM

17 posts, read 98,968 times
Not being from that area, I can't give you a definite answer - but I would suggest the Queensbury and Glens Falls school systems, which are close to the Adirondacks, have a decent reputation, and probably have affordable acreage nearby. Plus you would have easy access to Lake George, NY and the Green Mountains of Vermont.

I've seen really great deals on houses and acreage along the southern border of the Adirondacks (north of the highway), but the schools' scores are not that great.

A good place to start is to pick out towns on a map and compare their school "report cards" on the NY state Dept. of Education webpage.

Old 10-17-2006, 08:55 AM

57 posts, read 178,697 times
thanks for the help i will try that

Old 10-18-2006, 11:53 PM

220 posts, read 776,536 times
For over 30 years, our family has spent time in the Adirondacks and loved it. What I saw first hand would not allow me to live in the more rural parts. Without much to do, the kids were prone to drinking, smoking and you guessed it- promiscuity. Now this exists everywhere, but I had never seen it at such a young age. What I am suggesting is choose an area that is not so rural with sound schools where parental involvement is encouraged.

Glens falls looked to be just such a place. After reviewing the statistics, pay it a visit with your daughter to evaluate the people and the general feel. Either way, good luck.

Old 10-24-2006, 08:18 AM

9 posts, read 99,543 times
I live in Lake Luzerne,, our school in the past had received bad ratings but is really come along way. Queensbury is outstanding as far as academics. I would stick to one of those choices. I have lived in this area my whole life. Stay away from Corinth. The kids are trouble. That is my alma matar. Alot of the northern schools are very good too but you will drive and drive to by milk,lol. I guess it just part of the beauty in it all. Good luck to you.

Old 10-26-2006, 06:16 PM

518 posts, read 2,013,490 times
Thumbs up Have you checked out Plattsburgh???????

Hi..............I think you would be very happy here..............I could go on and on, but the schools are excellent and we do not have a lot of problems that other places have. You could get a lot more house for your money and will have more than enough family events and activities to get involved in with your daughter........It is a wonderful place to raise kids. The biggest drawback is the long winter and snow for many, but then again, for some people they look forward to winters so they can sled, ski, snowmobile, and do some great winter hikes or cross-country skiing up here. There are tons of apple orchards and we are in the foothills of the Adirondacks, and very little crime or drug activity. Kids can walk home from school and people are very welcoming. I don't agree with the person that talked about promiscuity??????? I came from a much bigger city and there you had to worry about promiscuity because of drugs, anonymous neighbors, but here, teachers and neighbors actually care about each others children. I would recommend the Peru or Beekmantown and Chazy school districts. Chazy is almost an elitist school because the number of children per class is so low and it is such an intimate school district but I am sure that you could find a home there with some land. Plattsburgh City school district is the absolute best but you won't be able to find a place with acreage in the city school district. The others I named are very good and you could find land with your home. There is another thread that I can direct you to with more discussion from other people beside myself.............It is called "How much is enough in Plattsburgh"...............Take a look at that when you can. Good luck.........

Old 10-27-2006, 10:16 AM

39 posts, read 213,990 times
Default Re: Adirondacks

Quote:
Originally Posted by plattsburgher View Post
Hi..............I think you would be very happy here..............I could go on and on, but the schools are excellent and we do not have a lot of problems that other places have. You could get a lot more house for your money and will have more than enough family events and activities to get involved in with your daughter........It is a wonderful place to raise kids. The biggest drawback is the long winter and snow for many, but then again, for some people they look forward to winters so they can sled, ski, snowmobile, and do some great winter hikes or cross-country skiing up here. There are tons of apple orchards and we are in the foothills of the Adirondacks, and very little crime or drug activity. Kids can walk home from school and people are very welcoming. I don't agree with the person that talked about promiscuity??????? I came from a much bigger city and there you had to worry about promiscuity because of drugs, anonymous neighbors, but here, teachers and neighbors actually care about each others children. I would recommend the Peru or Beekmantown and Chazy school districts. Chazy is almost an elitist school because the number of children per class is so low and it is such an intimate school district but I am sure that you could find a home there with some land. Plattsburgh City school district is the absolute best but you won't be able to find a place with acreage in the city school district. The others I named are very good and you could find land with your home. There is another thread that I can direct you to with more discussion from other people beside myself.............It is called "How much is enough in Plattsburgh"...............Take a look at that when you can. Good luck.........
I will be retiring in the next year or so. I would like to buy something small for the two of us for 6 mo/yr. Are there reasonable townshouses/condos in the Plattsburgh area? I am thinking <$200K.

Old 10-27-2006, 11:52 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,266,886 times
Check out the "new" condos right on Lake Champlain at the old AFB. A developer has converted the officer's quarters buildings into condos. I believe they are in your price range. Not sure who you'd contact though. Maybe Plattsburgher will check in again and be able to help.

Old 10-27-2006, 07:05 PM

518 posts, read 2,013,490 times
Smile Here's the deal..............

Hi..........

It's funny.......I am actually IN one of those converted townhomes and love it.......Mine has 3 bedrooms and cathedral ceiling dining room, private patio with room for a garden, 2 and one half baths and they are NOW selling for around 125. (I actually paid a lot less than that because I was an original owner.......) Plus I get a STAR tax credit (thank you NY state) because I earn less than 50 grand per year. Yes, you pay in taxes, but you do sometimes get what you pay for.............The older brick townhomes on the OLD historic oval are the ones that Vermonter are talking about and they are larger and have a basement. I believe that they are all sold now, but maybe not...........? They have an actual basement and are have the oval right in front that the troops from the 1800's actually marched on and most have some sort of view of the lake and then there are the really new ones over by the former Officers Club that have sunken baths and brand new kitchens and new everything and garages than are going for around 300 plus. You have a lot to choose from and a Canadian developer is actually renovating one of the older military barracks and turning those into luxury condos as we type. Don't have info on those but Fessette Realty seems to be the main contact or either Whitbeck Associates. Both have websites I am almost positive. Once you move here, you will not want to go back to another place. People are the best here...........It is not far from Montreal or Burlington but it is all about quality of life and people are very accepting of each other. We had a gay mayor for a while and there is an unspoken bond and code of the golden rule which still actually exists here still and people are hard workers who not only show up on time for cable, phone, etc............they actually take pride in their work. Good luck and check out Pburgh's website and Chamber of Commerce page!!!!!!!

Old 01-06-2007, 07:04 PM

9 posts, read 38,574 times
Chazy is great!! That is alumni!! The school is great for like you said the size and how people care
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York