Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2006, 09:46 PM

491 posts, read 831,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67cobra View Post
Hi,
Just my two cents, but I would recommend South Central LA before Kingston
I was going to recomend current Baghdad or Fallujah.
Yes, No doubt safer to live South Central LA. You have bodega's on every corner's and strong trained police force.
Kingston has turned into a lawless Free for All
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2008, 01:13 PM

5 posts, read 21,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe L View Post
STAY AWAY FROM KINGSTON UNLESS YOU CCW OR TRAVEL WITH AN ARMED GUARD.
IF YOU HAVE KIDS THEY WILL BE IN GANGS OR BEATEN EVERY DAY IN SCHOOL IF THEY ARE ANGLO.
ITS A CESSPOOL.
The Kingston police and Ulster County DA refuse to apply hate crime equally for fear of riots and property damage. The Mayor (Sottile) is a jackass..... Jeez I dont know where to stop.

(I was a camera operator with a NYC TV news channel)
Last year a kid named Robbie Kendrick was beaten so bad his eyeball fell out, The police did nothing (He is now blind and and deaf in one ear and still undergoes facial re-construction)
Skinheads and KKK were called in to restore order.
It was only then the DA charged the 300 pound animal with a hate crime then dropped the charges for a plea with weekends in jail and probation.

Photos of it here.
Nazi Rally in Kingston pictures from news photos on webshots (http://news.webshots.com/album/507986397APIPEy - broken link)
I back up the above 100%. Stay out of Kingston.

Old 02-20-2012, 10:09 AM

11 posts, read 19,671 times
any updates on the quality of life in Kingston since the last post in Jun 2008?

Old 02-22-2012, 11:23 AM

69 posts, read 215,396 times
Yes, I would like to know also, as I am researching a possible move back to NY.

Old 03-14-2012, 09:25 AM

wow, still no responses!!!

Old 03-14-2012, 10:19 AM

93,944 posts, read 124,723,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagomom2 View Post
wow, still no responses!!!
Are you looking specifically into Kingston or are you considering other parts of the state as well?

Old 03-14-2012, 06:29 PM

I would consider other parts of the state, but would like to be about an hour from NYC....do not want to go as far north as Ithaca, def not to western NY, as that is similar to the Midwest, where I currently live.
Want to rent first, then buy. Will be a young retiree, but also am in the antique/books biz. Would like a walkable area, do not want to have to drive all the time....I looked into Rhinebeck, but found high rents there, fee listings...and some which said you had to pay the taxes (!!!!!!)

Old 03-14-2012, 08:34 PM

93,944 posts, read 124,723,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagomom2 View Post
I would consider other parts of the state, but would like to be about an hour from NYC....do not want to go as far north as Ithaca, def not to western NY, as that is similar to the Midwest, where I currently live.
Want to rent first, then buy. Will be a young retiree, but also am in the antique/books biz. Would like a walkable area, do not want to have to drive all the time....I looked into Rhinebeck, but found high rents there, fee listings...and some which said you had to pay the taxes (!!!!!!)
Perhaps Hudson or Catskill would work.

Old 03-15-2012, 08:57 AM

14 posts, read 41,623 times
Catskill and Hudson are good options -- Hudson especially, with easy train access to NYC. Saugerties is also definitely worth looking into -- probably the nicest and most walkable town of the three. All of them, however, are about 2 hours from NYC instead of one. (This goes for Kingston as well.)

If you want to be closer to NYC without paying a ton for rent, your best options might be Beacon or Peekskill. Towns that seem to have a fair balance of charm and grit.

Old 03-15-2012, 05:42 PM

Thank you very much for the info! I will look into those....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York