Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 04:30 PM

11 posts, read 19,655 times

Advertisements

I am taking a new job in the Poughkeepsie area.

I am moving from Boston. I wont have a car for a couple weeks by the time I finish moving. How is the transportation in the area?

Also, I'm looking to find a one bedroom apartment or a shared place at a reasonable price for about an year.

I'm a 30 year old, single male. I'm a Technology Professional who knows no one in the area.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2012, 04:47 PM

570 posts, read 1,341,589 times
Welcome to CD. I'm not trying to be critical, but just a tip that may help you to get better responses: you only need to post your question in one thread - not seven or eight threads. The folks on the NY forum are pretty helpful, will see the question (even if it's only in one thread) and I'm sure those who know will respond. Good luck with your search!

Old 02-17-2012, 07:12 AM

Sorry daydreamin71 and bellafinzi,

I did not realize that I should post the question in only one thread. I realized that the other threads were very old and so thought that my question might help keep it 'alive'. Hope to get some responses here soon.

Keep up the good work, Thanks!

Old 02-17-2012, 08:11 AM

715 posts, read 2,511,408 times
First of all, welcome to the NYC Metro Area! I've lived here my whole life (Westchester, Dutchess, and now Orange County) and I'm happy to inform you that there isn't a shortage of things to do or see.

As for Poughkeepsie: since you don't own a car, you should look into the following options
a) Rent just east of The City of Poughkeepsie, perhaps in Arlington
b) Rent in Beacon and take the train to Poughkeepsie (17 minute ride north) each day

The City of Poughkeepsie is a high crime area. You want to avoid main street and most streets north of main. Generally, the streets south of main are safer than those north of. Your best bet, as I stated in a), would be to relocate to someplace close to Vassar College in Arlington, NY (in the Town of Poughkeepsie). When looking in Poughkeepsie, the further east, the better.

Beacon is a great up-and-coming city just a short ride down the Hudson River, also in Dutchess County. Lots of NYC commuters live in Beacon. It is safe, has a nice downtown area, and has beautiful views of the Hudson. Train station within walking distance of most areas.

Metro North Railroad's Hudson Line serves Dutchess County with 3 stations, from north to south: Poughkeepsie (northern terminus, 100 minutes to NYC), New Hamburg (90 minutes to NYC), and Beacon (80 minutes to NYC). Lots of people do the NYC commute each day from all three spots. It is a very convenient way to get into NYC if you ever want to or need to.

Other options worth considering: Wappingers and Fishkill

Check out the Dutchess County Loop

For rentals, you can check out Craigslist Hudson Valley or Homes for Rent in DC

Again, welcome! If you have any further questions, do not hesitate!

Old 02-17-2012, 12:34 PM

Thanks a lot Dreamshot.

I quite like your suggestions of Arlington, Beacon, Wappingers and Fishkill

Is there any advantage in living in Kingston, NY and commuting to Page Park Drive, Poughkeepsie ?
In my limited communication with future colleagues, I have been advised to look for living in Kingston instead of the more natural suggestions.

Old 02-17-2012, 12:37 PM

Although I wont be using Metro north regularly, should I buy a Pass for it?
Also, what kinds of Toll/Transit passes should I look to buy?
I am looking at the LOOP link you sent right now.

Old 02-17-2012, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boratbruno View Post
Thanks a lot Dreamshot.

I quite like your suggestions of Arlington, Beacon, Wappingers and Fishkill

Is there any advantage in living in Kingston, NY and commuting to Page Park Drive, Poughkeepsie ?
In my limited communication with future colleagues, I have been advised to look for living in Kingston instead of the more natural suggestions.
Kingston has some nice parts and some not so nice parts. I don't see any major benefit to moving anywhere north of Poughkeepsie itself. Simply, you are farther from NYC and the amenities of Route 9 in Poughkeepsie. To get from Kingston to your workplace, you would also have to use two separate buses. The first to bring you from Ulster County to Dutchess County (Ulster-Poughkeepsie Link) and a second on the Dutchess Loop. I think the disadvantages outweigh the advantages for Kingston in your case. Perhaps they suggested it to you because you might find some cheaper rentals there.

Since you won't be using MNRR regularly, there is no need to buy a Metrocard. Round trip from Poughkeepsie to GCT is around $30 and you can purchase tickets at the station. Also, since you won't be crossing the Hudson on a daily basis, you also won't need an E-ZPass. Other than Dutchess Loop transit tickets, you shouldn't need too much.

Old 02-18-2012, 08:37 AM

34 posts, read 95,710 times
Welcome to the area. I live in Poughkeepsie. What kind of apartment are you looking for - a complex or a privately owned one? For privately owned, there's a lot of rentals around the Vassar College area (look for Raymond Avenue on a map). There are also a few complexes on Van Wagner Road, the northern side of Main Street. The eastern end of Poughkeepsie is called Arlington, but it's really the town of Poughkeepsie. You want to avoid Main Street in Poughkeepsie. If you can get a place near Vassar College, you should be able to take the Loop up 55, but I don't know how often they run and will it coordinate with your work hours. Also, do you have a bicycle? If you do and are used to biking, it's only a few miles from Arlington to Page Park. Arlington has enough to it that you can probably do your daily/weekly errands, such as a grocery store, post office, deli, etc. Also, around Vassar College are ethnic restaurants, college bars, botiques, etc.
If you are looking at a map, personally, I'd want to avoid Main Street from Worrall Avenue almost to the river, as well as the side streets closest to Main Street.
If you had a car, then Pleasant Valley and LaGrange are nice areas, but you need a car.
If you lived in Kingston, you'd have a really difficult time getting to work, and the apartments, etc. aren't any better there.
If I were 30, I'd look for an apartment near Vassar College (any side road off Raymond Avenue), and get a bike, start working and save for a car.
Some of the local areas are really beautiful, especially in the fall. Dutchess, Ulster, Orange, the Catskills - BEAUTIFUL! But, you need a car.
There is a Stop and Shop for groceries in Arlington, and if you bike up Route 44 just a tiny bit, there is Adams - a produce, gourmet grocery store, garden center, gift shop, etc. that most of us locals love. From Arlington, you can take the bus to Route 9 where all the restaurants, car dealers, shopping centers/malls, etc. are.
So, good luck, and welcome to the area!

Old 02-20-2012, 07:15 AM

Hello Bellesmama, Dreamshot, daydreamin71,

Thanks a lot for the advice. I jsut found out that I am actually working at a secondary location of the company in Kingston (Enterprise Drive).

So I probably should look for places to rent in Kingston area. I have read that downtown and midtown are not very safe areas but uptown is safe.

Hope to find more helpful suggestions, this time for Kingston...

I appreciate all the help. Thanks!

Old 02-20-2012, 08:42 AM

I am not as familiar with Kingston as I am Dutchess County and Poughkeepsie. There isn't any area in Kingston that is as bad as the Main Street Area in Poughkeepsie, though. Downtown Kingston is walkable and you should be able to get just about anything you need in Kingston (Walmart, Target, etc.)

Here is a link to Ulster County Area Transit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York