Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 10:33 AM

5,384 posts, read 10,867,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rochacha View Post
Teachers have it made in New York State, so the problem is TONS AND TONS of competition for the TONS of jobs available. The NYS teachers union is one of the more powerful special interest groups in the state, so they get everything on a silver platter at the expense of the taxpayers.
Wow, as an educator I find that comment not only offensive, but degrading. I have spent over $100K on my education, only to be hired in the lowest tier. If you are unfamiliar with the Tier System in the NYS Education field, I suggest doing some research. I will never have the retirement or benifits that teachers retiring today have. I was an educator in a rural part of Wayne County until I recently made the choice to stay home with my children and if I choose to stay home longer than seven years, all of that time teaching will be wasted as I will never see my retirement. As a teacher, you go in early and stay late, work at home correcting papers and creating lesson plans. It is expected of you to do much more work than you were hired for- clubs, coaching, attending dances and afterschool functions both on the weeknights and weeknds. Teaching is not a 9 to 5 job- not 40 or even 50 hours a week... with very little to no compensation for your time spent outside of the actual school hours. Also, it is not explained to you that you are a glorified day care worker in a lot of districts when you leave college thinking you will have 100% support from parents. Students have become lazy and parents are not involved enough to care, making the $36K you make a year and lack of dental insurance not as exciting as you thought it would be at 21 years old. IF you are a teacher, you fight for your pay- begging taxpayers to realize you still have loans to pay off, a family to feed, mortgage to pay, and Teachers are the primary educators of your children... Why don't they deserve equal pay as someone with an associates degree after being forced to get a MASTERS? Don't get me wrong, I like teaching... if I didn't, I would have been doing something else with my education and talent... Teachers are a dedicated bunch... they have to be to put up with as much as they do from parents and tax payers alike.

Last edited by skbs; 03-26-2008 at 10:49 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2008, 07:56 AM

9 posts, read 23,741 times
Despite the drawbacks to teaching, it is something I wanted to do when we moved up here--I was a teacher and wanted to continue teaching. It is just that NYS wants the $$ that comes to their funds by making teachers from other areas jump through hoops. Plus, the "powers that be" are decidedly rude. The total overall cost of my jumping through the "hoops" is well over $5000.00, what with the exams (really not a problem) and the extra classes they insist I must take (even with two bachelor degrees, a master's degree, and doctoral studies). Their loss. I am now just trying to get on as an adjunct somewhere. At my age, and with my experience and education, I will not play their game.

Old 04-18-2008, 03:48 PM

121 posts, read 382,801 times
it is that woo-ing time of year I guess.

Other states woo California teachers amid wave of pink slips - Yahoo! News (broken link)

Well as another school year begins to wind down, I wonder has anyone that has posted to this thread been able to make it back and get a job in this field? I've received calls to fill substitute positions and then can almost hear the gasp when I turn down the interview. Am I supposed to give up my career to chance it on being a substitute as a way to get "in"?

Old 04-21-2008, 11:09 PM

16 posts, read 69,631 times
I wouldn't spend a lot of time looking for a teaching job in the Rochester area. I spent 4 years, sent out a lot of resumes and have had a few interviews. NO luck. I am older and feel that there is some age discrimmination but I am also a new teacher. If you are female, young and blonde you should have the best chance for getting a job. They say that they need men in elementary. I know of three men who have had long term sub jobs and can't get a permanent position. I have heard that for every job opening a school receive 700 applications.
I moved to Vegas to take a teaching job. I love it. There are so many people from upstate that have come here to teach. Some like it , some don't.

The Catholic schools announced that they will have to close a lot of schools, so you will have a couple of hundred teachers looking for work. Over the last several years the population of Rochester has declined (people moving looking for work) and the need for teachers has also declined. I recently read that one of the Gates elementary school was talking about closing because enrollment was down. I don't know if that has been decided yet or not.
Personally I think that some of the school of education in the Rochester area should close. They are graduating too many teachers and giving students false hope by saying "in 5 years we will need teachers". I have been hearing that for at least 10 years. Good Luck

Old 04-23-2008, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Flanders View Post
I wouldn't spend a lot of time looking for a teaching job in the Rochester area. I spent 4 years, sent out a lot of resumes and have had a few interviews. NO luck. I am older and feel that there is some age discrimmination but I am also a new teacher. If you are female, young and blonde you should have the best chance for getting a job. They say that they need men in elementary. I know of three men who have had long term sub jobs and can't get a permanent position. I have heard that for every job opening a school receive 700 applications.
I moved to Vegas to take a teaching job. I love it. There are so many people from upstate that have come here to teach. Some like it , some don't.

If you are going to look in the Rochester area- you will need an in to get hired in Pittsford, Fairport, Penfield and perhaps Webster... otherwise you are just going up against the cream of the crop from at least four local Colleges pushing teachers out every semester. Word of advice- look into STARTER Jobs- these would be Rochester City Schools, Sodus, Ontario, Newark, Palmyra/Macedon, Lyons- which is getting out there in terms of distance... those schools that are are in Wayne/ Ontario County are always looking.... Also, Look into Hilton, Rush Henrietta, Brockport... and West bound. These schools are great places to start out and build your portfolio... Many teachers try and push their way into other suburban schools once they have a few years under their belt there and a portfolio to brag about. But- if you look in the right schools you will find a job- might not always be the DREAM job- but if you are a newbie out of college take what you get and go from there!

Old 04-23-2008, 10:09 AM

I guess that makes me feel better---gulp! At least there are others in my situation.

The law of supply and demand must factor in because any other state or city, no problem. Western NY...I fear I can forget it. And from an administrator standpoint, I guess the younger and "blonder" you are typically equates to less problems, less questions, and less saying no or speaking your mind which for these guys is a good thing..........

I just am perplexed because over the past week, I have received 3 e mails, calls, asking to spread the word about Buffalonians and Rochester people, who are desperate to come home due to family illness, deaths, kids being born, etc....and I am like well, join the club. It seems like a whole generation of working people are just gone from these towns. And I know it is SOME, not ALL.....but still, it's weird.

Old 04-23-2008, 10:22 AM

[quote=iloveupstateny;3549938]I.

The law of supply and demand must factor in because any other state or city, no problem. Western NY...I fear I can forget it. And from an administrator standpoint, I guess the younger and "blonder" you are typically equates to less problems, less questions, and less saying no or speaking your mind which for these guys is a good thing..........
quote]

i don't know about this whole BLONDE thing... My mother, My three cousins, My Mother in law, My husband's Cousin, Almost all of my Teacher Friends, and myself- are all NYS Certified Teachers- either teaching now or are on leave... are all brunettes... The whole blonde statements seems rather ignorant.

Old 04-23-2008, 04:02 PM

i was just referring to a previous person's post.........most blondes are brunettes nowadays anyways, right.

Old 04-25-2008, 07:05 AM

9 posts, read 23,741 times
In response too iloveupstateny: End of year, nothing--although I was contacted by the Catholic School District as to my interest in staying on their "list". I will, but I will NOT substitute--glorified babysitting for VERY little pay, and one does not "teach". I've applied for adjunct positions at 5 local colleges, but they, too, seem to want locals. And, with the government cuts and lay-offs of secondary teachers, this will undoubtedly glut that market, as well.
In response to the "blonde" statement--of course, that is not really true; however, the majority of the teachers hired are younger, so I really do believe there is some age discrimination. There is a demand for male teachers, and I did lose out on a job due to that--although in running his credentials (yes, I did!), I was by far more qualified. But, then, they would also have had to pay me more. I did not start teaching until I was 48, I am now 53, plus being from another state is another mark against me. As well, in an interview for another job, I was told that having a "teaching" degree is a "red flag", as it was their experience, as the experience of many employers in the Utica area, that "those people" are just waiting to "get on somewhere". Sad--I have a lot to offer, as I was double certified in another state. But, with the lack of jobs, it does not seem prudent to spend the money on New York State hoops. Good luck to everyone.

Old 04-28-2008, 04:34 PM

A lot of my peers were hired out of college in 1997 or so and it seemed to be not too hard for them to find jobs after a year or so due to retirements. Anyone have any info. on when/if another wave is likely to hit?

And regarding the male species in any aspect of education----that is a clincher. I was actually told at an interview I was the best candidate but they thought that a man would be able to better handle the behavior problems..........but not to be biased.........I guess I'll just wait and see....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York