Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 07:35 PM

3,526 posts, read 9,440,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloveupstateny View Post
According to NEWSWEEK 2007 Best High Schools, it appears the South is actually leading the way, with Fl. holding the most schools (22). The only recognizable upstate districts were City Honors in Buffalo, Pittsford, and Brighton.

America's Top Public High Schools - Newsweek America's Best High Schools - MSNBC.com (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18757087/site/newsweek/ - broken link)
Something is seriously wrong with that NEWSWEEK ranking.

Fayetteville-Manlius was rated the 3rd best school district in Upstate NY a couple years ago. That NEWSWEEK ranking placed Corcoran High School....a City of Syracuse school... hundreds of spots higher than Fayetteville-Manlius High School. So essentially they are saying that a poor city High School is much better than the High School in the best school district in the Syracuse suburbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2007, 09:04 PM

121 posts, read 383,124 times
yeah, I am not quite sure what their methodology was. It seems like anything can get skewed with these 'rankings'.

Old 07-27-2007, 01:47 PM

31,687 posts, read 41,086,927 times
Default Howard County Maryland Has a Few Vacancies

Howard County one of the premier communities and school systems in the country has vacancies in a few select areas. Maryland does not produce anywhere near enough teachers and teacher's are always in demand. Howard County does better then the others however they still need Special Education and Spanish candiates. Please use the considerable resources available on the web and research us. If you think we are the future you are looking then visit our web site and begin the path to your new tomorrow.

Old 10-04-2007, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloveupstateny View Post
Are there any teachers/school professionals out there who are finding a complete lack of jobs in the upstate NY area? I scour the papers and see very very few lately. Friends tell me it is all who you know and what connections you have. What if you don't have any connections? I know several teachers in what are supposed "prime" school districts in the area, who aren't very knowledgeable of any issue in education and do not come across as smart or intelligent at all, so I can't help but wonder how they are getting the jobs? I know people that have been looking for 10-15 years in upstate ny! IS THIS FOR REAL?
yes, it is for real. I teach as well as teach teachers how to be teachers out of state and have kept up with my credentials but I still am unable to return. I'm divorced and would like to have my kids grow up near my family with what I had but...I don't think that will happen. I have friends and colleagues in schools and somehow a 22 yr old gets hired for these jobs over those with experience.

Old 10-04-2007, 08:09 PM

414 posts, read 1,506,685 times
western New York's population is steadily declining while simutaniously pumping teachers out of the area colleges at a steady rate. My wife has a Masters degree in Elementary Ed, graduated high honors as well as being named student teacher of the year. She is currently a teachers aid. We are looking to relocate out of state so she can get a job and start paying back the school debt.

Old 10-05-2007, 10:47 AM

19,270 posts, read 17,147,017 times
Please don't use the Newsweek article as an end all guide. The rankings are based on the number of AP & IB exams that a school is giving. I am aware of some of the Va schools and I can say I would not want my child attending them. Many districts teach the IB program at a magnet/specialty school therefore only it gets the credit.

For those in college who want a career in education they really need to look at the potential market where they would like to work and if it's tight they should consider other areas or change careers. Unfortunately these up and down cycles can be very long.

Old 10-05-2007, 12:59 PM

491 posts, read 1,434,635 times
While there aren't a ton of education jobs in wny, its not like their are none. Every year there are a few people I know who are able to find jobs in the area, and I see quite a few teaching jobs in the local papers as well.

Old 10-09-2007, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oktaren View Post
While there aren't a ton of education jobs in wny, its not like their are none. Every year there are a few people I know who are able to find jobs in the area, and I see quite a few teaching jobs in the local papers as well.

Right, I just wonder how long one has to "pay their dues" in order to be granted a job in teaching. Great care is taken in the selection process, when really, a lot of the time, idiots get hired and remain in the schools for the next 20-30 years..........

I love NY but to come back, I will need a complete career change and I don't really know doing what. Anyone know WHAT industies are actualy lucrative here? (upstate, WNY/CNY). I imagine health care with declining population and higher ed.

Old 10-10-2007, 10:59 AM

491 posts, read 1,434,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wickman2450 View Post
Right, I just wonder how long one has to "pay their dues" in order to be granted a job in teaching. Great care is taken in the selection process, when really, a lot of the time, idiots get hired and remain in the schools for the next 20-30 years..........

I love NY but to come back, I will need a complete career change and I don't really know doing what. Anyone know WHAT industies are actualy lucrative here? (upstate, WNY/CNY). I imagine health care with declining population and higher ed.
well, it depends on what you consider lucrative? if you are looking for a very high paying job within any sector, buffalo probably isn't for you. it is an area that costs very little to live in (compared to almost all other cities) and likewise it is a city that pays less compared to those same cities.

As for paying your dues in the teaching industry, i see alot of people getting jobs right out of college, so it can't be that hard.

Old 03-26-2008, 07:56 AM

9 posts, read 23,763 times
It is only hard to get into teaching in this area if you DON'T have a degree FROM the area--I have advanced degrees in two fields, yet BOCES and the State Board of Education says I do not have enough for NY. The real issue is that I'm not from NY. I truly regret ever moving here, but research doesn't present a full picture when looking for a new area. Plus, it was my husband's career that brought us here, so...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York