Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2010, 07:31 PM

71 posts, read 212,426 times

Advertisements

Note: Title is misspelled, I meant "Places to look into in Tioga County" Sorry about that.

Hello,

I previously asked on Broome County and the Southern Tier, and now out of curiosity, I am asking about Tioga.

I seem more interested in Waverley than Owego. I don't know, Owego doesn't seem to appeal to me, I think I'd rather hit JC or Vestal in Broome than Owego, but that's just me and what I've looked about, but leave Broome County out of this unless it compares.

As always, feel free to thrown in information about the whole county, your favorite town in it, your hometown in it, etc.

Thanks!

Last edited by VanillaCoffee; 06-15-2010 at 07:32 PM.. Reason: Needed to note the title is wrong
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2010, 06:13 PM

54 posts, read 152,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaCoffee View Post
Note: Title is misspelled, I meant "Places to look into in Tioga County" Sorry about that.

Hello,

I previously asked on Broome County and the Southern Tier, and now out of curiosity, I am asking about Tioga.

I seem more interested in Waverley than Owego. I don't know, Owego doesn't seem to appeal to me, I think I'd rather hit JC or Vestal in Broome than Owego, but that's just me and what I've looked about, but leave Broome County out of this unless it compares.

As always, feel free to thrown in information about the whole county, your favorite town in it, your hometown in it, etc.

Thanks!
The village of Waverly seems a lot like Owego to me, Big victorian homes, simillar size in square mileage and population, but Waverlys general area outside of the village seems a lot more rural to me. The neighboring town of Barton, NY, not to offend anyone, seems pretty gross to me, very rednecky, country feel, there the only place I know that has a strip club run out of a double wide, the world famous Bare Facts. If you dont like rural I probably wouldn't recomend Waverly, although the village has a somewhat urban feel you still have quite a ways to commute to a city, which would probably be Elmira, NY.

Old 06-16-2010, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by owego View Post
The village of Waverly seems a lot like Owego to me, Big victorian homes, simillar size in square mileage and population, but Waverlys general area outside of the village seems a lot more rural to me. The neighboring town of Barton, NY, not to offend anyone, seems pretty gross to me, very rednecky, country feel, there the only place I know that has a strip club run out of a double wide, the world famous Bare Facts. If you dont like rural I probably wouldn't recomend Waverly, although the village has a somewhat urban feel you still have quite a ways to commute to a city, which would probably be Elmira, NY.
Thanks, yeah I felt a bit weird about Waverley. How's Owego, can you get into more detail about that?

Old 06-16-2010, 07:40 PM

93,882 posts, read 124,609,502 times
Owego was actually rated the coolest small town in the country from a publication last year: America's Coolest Small Towns, Circa 2009 - The Early Show - CBS News

triphow.com » Owego America’s Coolest Small Town, sez Budget Travel

It's still close enough to Binghamton, if you have to commute there for work. Ithaca isn't too far either.

Old 06-16-2010, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Owego was actually rated the coolest small town in the country from a publication last year: America's Coolest Small Towns, Circa 2009 - The Early Show - CBS News

It's still close enough to Binghamton, if you have to commute there for work. Ithaca isn't too far either.
Ah thanks. I despise Ithaca, but that's beside the point, it's certainly a central location.

Old 06-16-2010, 09:13 PM

41 posts, read 239,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaCoffee View Post
Ah thanks. I despise Ithaca, but that's beside the point, it's certainly a central location.
I second that! I had to go up to Ithaca daily a while back and I thought if i had to go up one more day I'd shoot myself.

Old 06-19-2010, 03:47 PM

275 posts, read 794,593 times
Default Re:Places to look into in Tioga County

I have to ask. What about Ithaca do you despise? Not picking on you. I've been there a couple of times and besides being a very liberal college town, it didn't turn me off that much.

Old 06-19-2010, 03:50 PM

275 posts, read 794,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post

I understand that the local Lockheed Martin plant has been going through some downsizing at Owego. Has that had much of a negative impact on the area?

Old 06-21-2010, 07:37 AM

4,277 posts, read 11,812,917 times
If you count Waverly as an economic unit with the mutually adjacent Boroughs (equivalent to a NY State Village) of South Waverly, Sayre, and Athens in Bradford County, PA, it adds up to a bigger place than Owego called "The Valley," with stores typically on the PA side (likely having to do with the 6% sales tax not on clothing or food). The border is fuzzy enough that roughly a mile of NY 17 expressway is actually in PA. Sayre has a destination hospital which seems to be the main economic engine of The Valley, and a daily newspaper http://morning-times.com/ that circulates in western Tioga County, NY as well as in PA.

But if you want the next level up for shopping, you're either that much further from Vestal, or you go the other way to the Horseheads/Big Flats area between Corning and Elmira.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York