Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2008, 10:18 AM

1 posts, read 3,277 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. My husband and I lived in Salem, MA for a couple of years and loved the small town, historical feel and yet close to Boston aspects of it. We now live in Williamsburg, Brooklyn, NY. We moved here to start a meditation school. It is a very young place, with lots or aspiring artists, musicians and actors- much too 'hip' for us. We have lived here for almost 5 years and are really ready to leave the city and get closer to nature. We are quieter people who really enjoy nature, classical music and peace and tranquility. We love the Finger Lakes area, especially Ithaca- but taxes are so high there. We recently found a really nice house on lots of land in Berkshire, NY, on Route 38. We want to start a meditation school in the area, plant some fruit trees and just enjoy nature and a more relaxed way of living. I was a teacher for many years and could offer tutoring services or work at one of the universities as I have experience in HR and training. We haven't spent much time in Berkshire but have friend in Vestal, NY. I am just wondering if this would be a good location for such an endeavor and for what we like. Would love to hear back from people who live in the area or know the area well.

Happy New Year.

Best,
Sue

Last edited by SueK; 01-01-2008 at 10:44 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2012, 02:46 AM

1 posts, read 1,766 times
Hello Sue
Berkshire is a great town. I live there and have lived there for 5 years. it is a nice small town, not many people, but the people are all really nice. If you are thinking about starting a business, however, I am not sure how it will go, since there aren't many people there. But you could always try I know a few people who might be interested
Berkshire is very great for a break and to listen to the nature and it is great because it is only 30 minutes from Ithaca and 30 minutes for Binghamton
Aly

Old 05-14-2012, 09:09 AM

961 posts, read 2,507,414 times
...a meditation school in Berkshire?......I'd think that one through a bit more.....

Old 05-14-2012, 09:43 AM

4,277 posts, read 11,803,074 times
A one-post poster reply to a one-post poster from 2008, it might take some meditation.

Would fit in with the Eastern influenced complex (forgot what it is) visible from I-81 just south of the Whitney Point exit, perhaps using a similar locational criterion - which I'm guessing is to go far enough away from Ithaca in the direction of NYC to bring the land cost down.

Of course any prospective purchaser might need to look more into mineral rights than one did in 2008, not sure how well gas fracking and meditation mix.

In all honesty upstate NY does have a record of becoming home to places of quiet reflection both religious and not, perhaps with a better record of toleration of the different and neighborly than elsewhere. This history goes back to the 1840's or maybe earlier, perhaps when land started getting less desirable than elsewhere for agriculture. Not sure how many qualify for property tax exemption which would make cheap land upstate even a better deal.

Old 05-14-2012, 02:29 PM

100 posts, read 428,504 times
I'd look into the New Paltz area in Ulster County. There are some monasteries there and the vibe is probably going to be better for a meditation school. You'd still be able to get to cities if you wanted to, and the nature in the area is really really incredible (Shawangunk Ridge). You probably won't get as much land to yourself, but if you just want to have land to hike on and enjoy you could offset some of the cost by selling a conservation easement (assuming your land has some ecological value) which would prevent you from developing the land or otherwise destroying it. It seems like you can still get a 3 bed/1.5 bath on 72 acres for less than 1 million. As NYCer's, I'm guessing that seems more than reasonable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York