Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2007, 01:57 PM

2 posts, read 10,328 times

Advertisements

Yes. the neighborhood is changing. It's more middle eastern/asian and more white (hipster transplants). The Latinos are still steady but different: There are now way more Mexicans than there used to be - Colombian/Peruvian and other South American.

73 and 74 st near roosevelt station is Indian/Pakistani, but they are encroaching onto what was Latino territory. I'm seeing way more sari's and burkas in my immediate vicinity and as neighbors.

The Historic District has always been a stronghold for long time resident assorted Whites (FYI White= white anglo saxon protestant. Italians, russians, greeks, jews were not considered white!) and well todo baby boomers, not to be confused with trendy hipsters.
The reason you don't see them on the trains is because they drive. they are in a considerably higher tax bracket than the surrounding buildings and houses. but there is a creepy aspect of their residing there, because you hardly ever see them entering and leaving their posh houses and buildings. (By the way those buildings have lush interior gardens, so you're not going to see them drinking their cafe latte at some public park bench either.

"Operation Snowflake -" a term coined by some ghetto kids in bklyn, is when you see one white hipster in your otherwise ethnic neighborhood, and then all of a sudden there is another, then another and then you can no longer afford the rent in your own neighborhood.

Proof: You NEVER saw a solitary, cute white girl jogging around in this neighborhood. I'm sorry to say, fresh-off-the-boat, uneducated Hispanic immigrants tend to bring ill customs with them (I SAID FRESH-OFF-THE-BOAT, UNEDUCATED,OKAY?!!). Oggling and harrassing pretty ladies is one of them. Now i see it all the time.

Also, try checking out any diner on a sunday morning and notice the crowd. It's no longer only elderly white people eating there. Young people wearing ben sherman (nobody in this neighborhood knows who or what that is) clothing and other telltale apparel fill the place.

Tattooed musicians who i knew from my time in bands and hanging around down town have found themselves in my neighborhood!!! What!?

The reason: At this point Realtors and developers have gentrification down to a science, and they've figured out how to cut out that seminal stage in it where rent is cheep and artists and musicians can afford to move in. Now they just cut right to the Yuppie market, while claiming some alternative frills.Williamsburg is saturated, AStoria is too, Long island City has been charging ridiculous prices on the promise that it'll one day become Williamsburg since when i was eyeballing the place 10 years ago. It's still an industrial dump that i'd love live in as is.

Why Jackson heights/elmhurst probably won't go the way of LIC:
Because Elmhurst/Jackson heights is not a blank slate like Long island city an d Williamsburg. It was never abandoned factories and small houses that could be bought up and torn down. It also isn't as hospitable as the Greek, chec neighborhoods of astoria.
Those musician friends i mentioned earlier...didn't last six months!
There is nothing here by way of night life for a midwestern/upstate transplant to enjoy, unless you speak fluent spanish, can dance to various forms of spanish music, and don't get nervous around minorities.

It'll never become a hipster paradise. But that doesn't mean older people won't find the amenties alluring. There are many conveniences to this neighborhood. I never learned how to drive because i never had to. If i wasn't in my neighborhood (primary school, secondary; runining errands: to the mall, the post office, eating different ethnic food, going to the movies), i was going downtown, where it made not point to drive through that chaos especially if you were going to get ****faced and have a good time.

Even though it won't be a hipster, trust funded paradise, the rent will go up, because they'll never stop lording it over our heads that it could be a trendy spot, those two-faced liars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2007, 04:16 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,149,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarioEnLlamas View Post

Even though it won't be a hipster, trust funded paradise, the rent will go up, because they'll never stop lording it over our heads that it could be a trendy spot, those two-faced liars.
hmm. Is that why the rent will go up - because "they'll never stop lording it over our heads. . . " or could it possibly be because rents will go up everywhere, and especially in areas that are very convenient to get to Manhattan via subway (15 minutes from Jackson Heights to midtown on the E or F train)? And maybe because Jackson Heights is a desirable place - safe, tree-lined, pretty clean, lots of restaurants?

Old 09-23-2007, 07:27 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,375,086 times
Thats one of the funniest things I have ever read on City Data. You deserve a prize.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarioEnLlamas View Post

"Operation Snowflake -" a term coined by some ghetto kids in bklyn, is when you see one white hipster in your otherwise ethnic neighborhood, and then all of a sudden there is another, then another and then you can no longer afford the rent in your own neighborhood.

Old 09-23-2007, 08:56 PM

40 posts, read 187,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mead View Post
Thats one of the funniest things I have ever read on City Data. You deserve a prize.
I used to joke with a white friend of mine who lived at 130th & Lenox in Harlem that he was like a green beret paratrooping in to do scouting before the main forces move in lol

"Operation Snowflake" is pretty good, though

Seriously though, the term "front line of gentrification" can apply to a whole bunch of neighborhoods in the city these days.

Old 09-24-2007, 07:40 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,149,528 times
so if white flight starts happening again, would that be considered 'operation meltdown'?

Old 09-24-2007, 09:29 AM

1,526 posts, read 5,605,472 times
More like "Operation scared of their own shadow."

Old 09-24-2007, 04:25 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,375,086 times
White flight never really stopped in large parts of the city. Only a few parts of Manhattan and Brooklyn are experiencing gentrification. Most of Southern Brooklyn, nearly all of Queens, and the remaining white neighborhoods in the Bronx are still experiencing white flight. Staten Island is by far the recipient of this white flight within the city, however whites make up a smaller percentage of the population even there.

While the white population at this point seems to have leveled off in the city as a whole (which is in contrast to 50 years of decline occuring up until this point) who is living here is very different today as compared to the past couple of decades. Today you have a lot more Yuppies & hipsters (mainly from the NYC metro area suburbs and other parts of the country such as the Midwest and South) along with Eastern Europeans (the biggest contingent are the Russians) making up the white population and a lot less of the traditional white ethnics (Irish/Jews/Italians)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
so if white flight starts happening again, would that be considered 'operation meltdown'?

Old 09-24-2007, 05:42 PM

242 posts, read 927,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvira Black View Post
More like "Operation scared of their own shadow."
Operation "Get More For Your Money Out of State" or ""Have a Backyard for the kids and a more comfortable equal commute time on Metro North/LIRR"

Its not a racial thing, its the way things work in NYC. I guess all the Hispanics and Blacks moving to LI, NJ and Westchester are self loathing racists?

Old 09-24-2007, 08:29 PM

Jrock, where'd you say you live again? Are you the guy living in da Bronx too? Not everyone has kids. Not everyone loves the suburbs. Not everyone wants to live where you live. Not everyone is you.

Someone just posted a thread that seems to contradict the white flight hypothesis. Those moving in tend to be college educated, higher income, etc. BTW, almost all of Manhattan, not just a few areas, has experienced gentrification. Are you kidding? Look at the rents!!! What do you call that? And guess where the white professionals are moving to in droves? Manhattan and Brooklyn. Been that way for quite a while now. And now it's, you should pardon the expression, snowballing even more.

Old 09-24-2007, 08:31 PM

And there's millions upon millions of singles in this city who don't need to worry about school districts, playgrounds, swing sets in the backyard, and pools. This equals what? More disposable income. To do what? Live the good life in good old NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City