Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 08:57 AM

391 posts, read 1,249,522 times

Advertisements

Of the asian population there, is it mostly south asians or are there east/se asians as well and aside from the indian population mainly being on a block or two, are the other asians spread throughout?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2008, 09:46 AM

3,225 posts, read 8,576,738 times
A similar qustion on J.H. demographics recently created a furor here.

J.H is predominatly Hispanic but has a sizable Asian Indian population. That population exisits alongside the majority Hisapnics and some whites including Manhattan transplants.However there is a distinct few blocks which are almost exclusively Indian-owned businesses.

The Indians are from various parts of South Asia including all regions of India.

Hope that helps.

Old 06-30-2008, 10:20 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,141,966 times
There's no area in JH that I know of that has a large population of east Asians. The east Asians that I do see seem to be sprinkled throughout and more often than not, they appear to be Americans of east Asian heritage (speaking English, non-accented) and not immigrants. Also there seems to be a high number of mixed marriages or partnerships where one person is white and the other is East Asian.

There are a few dry cleaners and small fruit stores that are Korean owned or run, and they appear to be immigrants, but I don't know if they live in JH or just work there.
Italian Farms (deli) is Korean-owned but it seems besides the Korean owner they tend to hire Spanish-speaking employees (the better to communicate with the customers, I guess). Also Yogurberry is Korean-owned but all the people who work there are bilingual Spanish-English.

Old 06-30-2008, 10:55 AM

838 posts, read 1,212,335 times
Jackson Heights is mainly indians and hispanics. There aren't a TON of asians. Most of the asians are concentrated in elmhurst...which is it's very close bordering neighbor.

Old 06-30-2008, 11:19 AM

My guess from looking at the demographics in my own building and those on my block is that there are MANY more white people in JH than Indians. Again, this is my own observation and I have no data to back it up.

Old 06-30-2008, 12:08 PM

I'm not sure what part of Jackson Heights "henna" lives in, but I have been all over. My ex-boyfriend and current fiance reside there. Whites in Jackson Heights make up a very small pocket, but they are somewhat present. It is, without a doubt, primarily indian and hispanic. While a lot of the indian population is near the roosevelt stop it seeps out throughout the entire neighborhood.

Old 06-30-2008, 12:12 PM

TunaBoy, I'm not sure if you want to live in Jackson Heights. I think it's a pretty decent neighborhood...just whatever you do..don't live near roosevelt. It's annoying, crammed, gross, and filthy. If you have anymore questions I would love to help you

Old 06-30-2008, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by page3000 View Post
I'm not sure what part of Jackson Heights "henna" lives in, but I have been all over. My ex-boyfriend and current fiance reside there. Whites in Jackson Heights make up a very small pocket, but they are somewhat present. It is, without a doubt, primarily indian and hispanic. While a lot of the indian population is near the roosevelt stop it seeps out throughout the entire neighborhood.

I live in a building with 100 units. As far as I know, there are no Indians living here in my building, and I am estimating the white population is around 60% of the building. I live in the historic district.

again, I am not saying I know the percentages for demographics in JH as I have not seen that data. Only my observations as a resident in the historic district (living every day in Jackson Heights and not just visiting) suggest to me that there are many more whites than Indians residing in Jackson Heights.

I realize that if you are hanging around on the sidewalks of 73rd St. and 74th St. you might think that it's an Indian neighborhood, but another thing to keep in mind is that the Indian area is a business district, and many of the Indians shopping there, especially on weekends, are coming in from elsewhere, including out of state.

This is an old article of the Times but I suspect that things are much the same today:

Bazaar With the Feel of Bombay, Right in Queens - New York Times

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 12-23-2008 at 01:07 PM.. Reason: Please post links to articles instead of copying them into your posts -- thanks.

Old 06-30-2008, 01:14 PM

This NY Times article is from this year. Are Ethnic Shopping Strips Luring Suburban Customers? - City Room - Metro - New York Times Blog

"The neighborhood’s central corridor, 74th Street, has become renowned as a Main Street for South Asian Americans, even though few Indians, Bangladeshis and Pakistanis actually live there, according to Madhulika S. Khandelwal, a professor of urban studies at Queens College who directs the Asian American Center there. "

Old 06-30-2008, 01:28 PM

Oh yeah, don't go to ANY of the indian grocery stores around there. I thought I would get a good deal...but I ended up leaving once I saw a mouse crawl over some produce. I tried to tough it out and told myself..ok a mouse won't kill me..but then a lot of the veggies had mold on them. Their hygiene standards are much different from americans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City