Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 09:13 PM

838 posts, read 1,211,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
This is the second time in about two days you've said something along the lines of "how dare you pull the race card on me" I believe I was the other one you directed a similar comment to.

I just wanted to explain to you why I think some people are reacting this way towards you. It may be because you say things like "freaking India" or "flippin' Jamaicans". When you use what's basically a stand-in for a swear word and follow it up with a racial group, that's why people are suggesting you have a problem with various races. In this particular case it was the Indians.

Perhaps another reason is because this thread was about demographics, and when you gave totally wrong information about the percentage of Indians living in the area and were called on it (by me) you chose to go on the attack and then not admit you were wrong but to complain about how filthy one of the Indian stores is.

It's funny because people mention italians, hispanics..etc.etc.. And you three or less are freaking out over someone posting the word "freakin'" before anything indian-related...and for someone pointing out that when they went to a certain area that the indian stores happened to be very gross and unsanitary.

No hatred was spewed here. An observation of Jackson Heights was commented on. Again, if you can't deal with it...feel free not to read...or even comment differently.

Thank You So Much !

Last edited by Viralmd; 07-02-2008 at 05:44 AM.. Reason: Personal attack
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2008, 10:20 PM

16 posts, read 44,997 times
Default Jackson Heights Redux

Quote:
Originally Posted by analyticalkeys View Post
Three Starbucks? The one on 79th and 37th just opened.. where's the other two? Your statistics are made up, but I wouldn't disagree with them too much. Next time, don't insult everyone right before you make the post though.
I wasn't insulting "everyone"--just the folks involved in an argument. And I meant it in jest. My apologies for offending you.

I jumped the gun on the Starbucks. There is one now that just opened on 37th ave, but I was told by a friend (in real estate) two more would soon open up. I believe one on on Northern and another possibly on 82 st.

As far as demographics go, I found the following information (from census).

Hispanic: 56%
White: 21%
Asian 17%
Black 2%

But you also have to understand that Hispanics can be white or black, and that many Hispanics identify as non-Hispanic. My father, for example, is Argentine. He's a white Hispanic. However, he has always put himself down as white. So there is some overlap with Hispanic/White figures. There are many white Hispanics in Jackson Heights... Colombians, Argentines, Uruguayans, etc.

Old 07-02-2008, 05:35 AM

1,915 posts, read 7,983,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueensKing718 View Post
I wasn't insulting "everyone"--just the folks involved in an argument. And I meant it in jest. My apologies for offending you.

I jumped the gun on the Starbucks. There is one now that just opened on 37th ave, but I was told by a friend (in real estate) two more would soon open up. I believe one on on Northern and another possibly on 82 st.

As far as demographics go, I found the following information (from census).

Hispanic: 56%
White: 21%
Asian 17%
Black 2%

But you also have to understand that Hispanics can be white or black, and that many Hispanics identify as non-Hispanic. My father, for example, is Argentine. He's a white Hispanic. However, he has always put himself down as white. So there is some overlap with Hispanic/White figures. There are many white Hispanics in Jackson Heights... Colombians, Argentines, Uruguayans, etc.
Thanks for that information. I am aware that some Hispanics do indeed list themselves as white, but I don't think that would make a major difference in the results here. It would be a little more interesting if they split the Asians and Indians up, so we could see the actual percentages. I hope a Starbucks does open up, because lately when stores close down, we get another discount clothing store, and there's more than enough of those in the 82nd street area.

Old 07-02-2008, 12:48 PM

730 posts, read 2,053,761 times
Quote:
Jackson Heights is known for the wide variety of food, so you can have much more than that here.
Not only that, but the ethnic restaurants outnumber the fast food joints very easily. For every McDonalds, I see three Mexican or Central/South American restaurants.

Old 07-06-2008, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotb16 View Post
Not only that, but the ethnic restaurants outnumber the fast food joints very easily. For every McDonalds, I see three Mexican or Central/South American restaurants.
Yea, in fact, I often hear that people move here for not only the ease of access to Manhattan, but also the wide variety of food. It's quite convenient being able to get many different types of food without having to walk too far from your home!

Old 07-06-2008, 02:01 PM

646 posts, read 1,639,360 times
Quote:
Yea, in fact, I often hear that people move here for not only the ease of access to Manhattan, but also the wide variety of food. It's quite convenient being able to get many different types of food without having to walk too far from your home!

Excellent point. In fact, my wife (who is from Mumbai, India) and myself are moving to New York to live in an Indian neigborhood so she will feel a little more at home. And having all the Indian food she could want at our doorstep is another reason.

Old 07-06-2008, 08:32 PM

391 posts, read 1,248,821 times
speaking of food, is central/south american food similar to mexican?

Old 07-06-2008, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunaBoy View Post
speaking of food, is central/south american food similar to mexican?
South America is a big continent.. a lot of the food there isn't even similar between countries, let alone compared to Mexican. Sometimes it can be similar, but I perfer to eat at places that have an "exclusive" taste, if you know what I mean.

Old 07-06-2008, 09:49 PM

1,409 posts, read 5,249,635 times
Mexican isn't even similar from state to state. There are huge regional differences, just like in the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City