Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 07:30 AM

270 posts, read 504,562 times

Advertisements

Well, so far, I've recieved a lot of good advice on this thread, and I thank you all for your ideas. I guess I'll try some of this and see how far I get. I also may try submitting something to the Education forum. Ciao for now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2010, 05:33 PM

306 posts, read 758,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by collegestudentfromalabama View Post
Hi, I'm from Mobile (pron. Moe-beel) Alabama. I kind of want a change of scenery. Although the university here has low in-state tuition, cultural diversity, wonderful challenging teachers, fun warm college communities, and insightful community service projects, I still think I would have a blast at a college in New York. I would need to find a way there, though, without having to pay out-of-state tuition. I would also likely be entering as a graduate student. Does anyone have any advice? I've heard getting into NYU is like getting into Harvard, so I might need to attend a community college first. Does anyone have a plan? I want to explore a little. I've been out of the country, but I've never been to the North. I've heard so much about NYC. Do you think I would really enjoy it if I went there?
Harvard has a kind of open-university extension program you could get into for the first three classes which makes it easier than NYU to get into. Barring that, it would be hard to just come to NYC these days without a job lined up and a place to stay and/or a lot of money to spend on the first few months of job-hunting and then place-hunting. And I don't know that the colleges are much help in finding cheap places to stay like other cities' universities are. I'm having nothing but trouble.

As they say, maybe visit with a round-trip ticket first so you can "meet people" who might be able to find you more "people" so you could arrange a place to stay while you look for a job. If you show up looking for a job and don't find one soon enough to pay rent, the homeless shelters automatically try hard to send you back wherever you came from. So be aware of that option.

The community colleges have almost no help in finding accommodation since they are for New Yorkers who already live there with their families, to commute to. Even the CUNY's don't have any help with that. You go to anything less than Columbia or NYU and you're on your own to find accommodation. Before the money runs out and you might or might not have a job yet.

Old 03-21-2010, 08:02 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,034,543 times
Question: Why attend an Ivy-league to teach? Do you hope to teach in Ivy League colleges?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: