Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 05:21 PM

2 posts, read 10,138 times

Advertisements

I am currently a junior in high school in Rochester, NY. I've been looking at colleges recently and since I think that I would like the atmosphere of NYC (lots of people, plenty to do) I was considering going to college there. My only concern is that the college experience will not be quite the same as if I attended say a SUNY school. When i picture the college experience I think of having a roommate, making friends with a whole new social group, and parties, along with the education of course. Are colleges in NYC like the colleges elsewhere? I am under the impression that college in NYC is purely for the education and once classes are over everybody leaves to go their separate ways since many colleges don't have dorm and people just commute from home. How do people ever make friends then? Or is NYC mostly about business and work. I've also heard that living in NYC in college without parental support is extremely expensive. Its my dream to live in the big city, but I was hoping you guys could give me some feedback on what its really like to go to college in NYC. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2010, 06:50 PM

1,915 posts, read 7,982,826 times
CUNYs are not the "full college experience" if that's what you're looking for. They're not bad schools, but if you're looking for that highly social atmosphere where you meet everyone and stuff like that, look to SUNY schools. And it's very true about CUNY.. everyone does just go to class and then leave.. you won't meet many people that you actually talk to outside of class. Of course, this depends on you, but it's a much more common scenario than if you were to go to a SUNY school.

Old 04-14-2010, 06:55 PM

2,170 posts, read 3,305,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by analyticalkeys View Post
CUNYs are not the "full college experience" if that's what you're looking for. They're not bad schools, but if you're looking for that highly social atmosphere where you meet everyone and stuff like that, look to SUNY schools. And it's very true about CUNY.. everyone does just go to class and then leave.. you won't meet many people that you actually talk to outside of class. Of course, this depends on you, but it's a much more common scenario than if you were to go to a SUNY school.
You can't make a blanket statement like that. I met some of my best friends at Queens College thru various school clubs and college parties. Although in all honesty , we were all New Yorkers to begin with so we shared a common thread to begin with.
The Cuny's in manhatten, Bronx and Brooklyn are probably a little less personal.

Old 04-14-2010, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktravern View Post
You can't make a blanket statement like that. I met some of my best friends at Queens College thru various school clubs and college parties. Although in all honesty , we were all New Yorkers to begin with so we shared a common thread to begin with.
The Cuny's in manhatten, Bronx and Brooklyn are probably a little less personal.
Everyone's situation varies, and I didn't say you won't meet anyone, but you're far more likely to know and talk to a lot more people if you go to a SUNY school. It's the truth. Pretty much all of my friends, and myself attend a CUNY or SUNY, and pretty much none of us will disagree. It's also true that the majority of people who go to these CUNY schools now are commuters, and have little to no desire to talk to people. You can always join clubs and meet people, and I highly suggest that, but I'm just saying if you live in a dorm in a SUNY school, you're definitely meeting a lot more people just because of the fact that it's where you live now, and not just where you go to school.

Old 04-14-2010, 07:08 PM

2 posts, read 10,138 times
Thanks for the replies. That's what i figured. So there is less of a social focus in the colleges, but is it hard to find friends and groups to hang out with otherwise? Like, besides just maybe talking in classes or clubs, how do people in NYC make friends? Also, are parties then very uncommon in college, since nobody really knows each other?

Old 04-14-2010, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedium16 View Post
Thanks for the replies. That's what i figured. So there is less of a social focus in the colleges, but is it hard to find friends and groups to hang out with otherwise? Like, besides just maybe talking in classes or clubs, how do people in NYC make friends? Also, are parties then very uncommon in college, since nobody really knows each other?
There are parties, but you need to know the right people, and there's always school based parties which actually aren't as unfun as they sound lol. There's just not as many as if you lived in a dorm.. they tend to throw one EVERY Thursday then you can find a lot more at other times lol, but that sounds like too much partying to me. It depends on your personality really, you can easily meet people in your classes and in clubs and around, but you don't really find many people who are open to talking to just random people around the campus like you would elsewhere. There's always going to be some people, but a lot of people like to keep to themselves on campus.

Old 04-14-2010, 07:18 PM

88,515 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedium16 View Post
I am currently a junior in high school in Rochester, NY. I've been looking at colleges recently and since I think that I would like the atmosphere of NYC (lots of people, plenty to do) I was considering going to college there. My only concern is that the college experience will not be quite the same as if I attended say a SUNY school. When i picture the college experience I think of having a roommate, making friends with a whole new social group, and parties, along with the education of course. Are colleges in NYC like the colleges elsewhere? I am under the impression that college in NYC is purely for the education and once classes are over everybody leaves to go their separate ways since many colleges don't have dorm and people just commute from home. How do people ever make friends then? Or is NYC mostly about business and work. I've also heard that living in NYC in college without parental support is extremely expensive. Its my dream to live in the big city, but I was hoping you guys could give me some feedback on what its really like to go to college in NYC. Thanks.
Colleges are the same in NYC as what you describe of other schools, don't worry. My daughter is finishing her freshman year at a college in Manhattan (not a state school). In freshman year, they have 4 or 5 to a two-bedroom suite with a little kitchen, living room area, and a bathroom.

She loved being in the city, but she is transferring to another school upstate because of what she decided she wants to study.

Trust me, there are plenty of partiers and there are activities and clubs just like at other schools.

It is expensive. However the actual amount for room and board at most colleges doesn't seem to vary much, even though the tuition may be more expensive. If you want to go to a NYC school and you have the grades, apply and see what they offer you. And if they don't offer enough, appeal the financial aid package and ask them to improve their offer. The worst that can happen is that you don't get in or end up not being able to afford it, but you won't know unless you try. Have backup colleges, of course.

Old 04-14-2010, 09:38 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,832,139 times
I did my undergraduate at a "typical" college in Ohio and my graduate school in Manhattan. And my biggest fear was having no friends since i wasn't in a dorm but it is really SO easy. Especially since at my school we have small classes and its mostly girls we really all got to know eachother. Although I wouldnt trade my undergraduate for the world

Old 04-14-2010, 10:11 PM

747 posts, read 2,757,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
I did my undergraduate at a "typical" college in Ohio and my graduate school in Manhattan. And my biggest fear was having no friends since i wasn't in a dorm but it is really SO easy. Especially since at my school we have small classes and its mostly girls we really all got to know eachother. Although I wouldnt trade my undergraduate for the world
I'd say grad school would be very different. Such an experience would be harder to replicate in NYC unless it was a really, really small undergrad program.

Old 04-14-2010, 11:51 PM

46 posts, read 230,717 times
I go to Hunter but have an apartment in Brooklyn. Everyone complains that it is hard to meet people at the CUNY schools but if you recognize that there are tons of other people there that want to make friends just as bad as you, you will find a group to hang out with. The first semester there was really boring because I didn't know anyone, but after I came out of my own self-conscious shell I developed a pretty solid group of friends. Just be prepared to be forced into pre-existing cliques with many people who have known each other since high school or earlier. Most people in the CUNY's either grew up in the city or immediate suburbs; every so often though you will run into people from upstate. I know of two or three people from Rochester/Webster, so perhaps you won't be the only one from the area.

The NYC "college experience" is unlike any other experience, but I have definitely been loving it. The thing is that you will have to work super hard to do well in school, have a social life and keep up with rent/tuition/etc. A lot of my friends get help from their parents; however, I am not so lucky. Despite that fact, working so hard has really taught me how to manage my time well and take care of simple life tasks that other people don't have to deal with because their parents are still supporting them. I say that if you are driven, tenacious and confident in yourself, by all means come down here and have a go at it. Worst case scenario is that you won't like it and you'll have to transfer somewhere else after a year.

Good luck with your decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City