Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2013, 01:14 PM

92 posts, read 110,279 times

Advertisements

I'm 99% sure that I landed a job last week and will call me after New Years about a job offer.....

...however...

I'm a bit worried if I don't get it. I graduated college last year with several internships. Spent 6 months looking for a job after graduating. Landed my first Marketing job in CT, but it only lasted for 6 months. I've been looking for jobs the last 6 months here in the City...

Now, I am well aware of the 6 month rule: mostly, that after 6 months of unemployment, your resume will be discarded by a majority of companies. Basically, I will be discarded goods. Like the Marketing equivalent of Tim Tebow. I don't want to be Tebow (I have potential, dammit! Plus, I don't have a lucrative broadcasting career to fall back on...lucky bastard). I also know that the majority of hiring happens in January/ Februaray, so its very important to land a position ASAP.

But if I don't, what should I do? I know that if I decide to take on a sub College level position, there's no going back. I'll be stuck with sub-College positions for years...maybe longer. If I settle, I will be screwed. It becomes a cycle of mediocrity, and those are the worst.

I have a Business degree...should I go back to school and do something else? Will 2 years of subpar work experience and an MBA do anything for me, or will it be a wasted $50000+ that I don't have?

TBH, I want to do Management, but I tried last year at getting into the Target ETL program (paid $200+ expenses to travel for a 1 hr interview that reject me for too many "We" examples). Tried applying twice this year all over the country, and couldn't even get a phone call. Tried Enterprise, but rejected me twice.

So any suggestions or even a pat on the back to tell me I need a chill pill would be awesome! Thanks!

Last edited by mozillameister; 12-28-2013 at 01:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2013, 04:32 PM

298 posts, read 707,910 times
I had the same trouble back in 2008. Best advice I could give is start with a smaller employer. I actually got to the point where I started looking for ANY job. It really helped me refine my resume.

Personality counts for far more in small business interviews. Once I was experienced, it was possible to get past the H.R. screens and now I have a better corporate job.

Do you have a blog? That actually got me my first real job. Write a blog about internet marketing or something. You have the time and it will establish you as an expert in your field.

Old 12-28-2013, 05:48 PM

25,556 posts, read 24,018,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mozillameister View Post
I'm 99% sure that I landed a job last week and will call me after New Years about a job offer.....

...however...

I'm a bit worried if I don't get it. I graduated college last year with several internships. Spent 6 months looking for a job after graduating. Landed my first Marketing job in CT, but it only lasted for 6 months. I've been looking for jobs the last 6 months here in the City...

Now, I am well aware of the 6 month rule: mostly, that after 6 months of unemployment, your resume will be discarded by a majority of companies. Basically, I will be discarded goods. Like the Marketing equivalent of Tim Tebow. I don't want to be Tebow (I have potential, dammit! Plus, I don't have a lucrative broadcasting career to fall back on...lucky bastard). I also know that the majority of hiring happens in January/ Februaray, so its very important to land a position ASAP.

But if I don't, what should I do? I know that if I decide to take on a sub College level position, there's no going back. I'll be stuck with sub-College positions for years...maybe longer. If I settle, I will be screwed. It becomes a cycle of mediocrity, and those are the worst.

I have a Business degree...should I go back to school and do something else? Will 2 years of subpar work experience and an MBA do anything for me, or will it be a wasted $50000+ that I don't have?

TBH, I want to do Management, but I tried last year at getting into the Target ETL program (paid $200+ expenses to travel for a 1 hr interview that reject me for too many "We" examples). Tried applying twice this year all over the country, and couldn't even get a phone call. Tried Enterprise, but rejected me twice.

So any suggestions or even a pat on the back to tell me I need a chill pill would be awesome! Thanks!
Take a chill pill and relax. I do think you gave insufficient information for posters to be able to give much in advice. But you don't want to necessarily get full advice from a message board . My advice would be to contact career counselors.

Old 12-28-2013, 07:17 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,077,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mozillameister View Post

...however...

Whoa there bro take it easy. First thing first, in NYC plenty of college entry jobs are very competitive also the market is saturated with plenty of out of towner Transplants and Bridge and Tunnel folks from the burbs who take away these jobs from educated locals. Therefore forcing many educated locals to work in service industry jobs which most do not pay to well or lack benefits. Plenty of college educated New Yorkers that I know of seek employment outside of the city because the job market here is way too competitive, especially since majority of the outsiders are better educated than the locals. The competition in NYC is fierce, unless you know someone or went to an amazing college like ancient 8 Ivy league school, NYU types or at least a Masters degree from any school, than you are going to run into trouble finding or landing a professional job. To many people here running around with 4 year degrees. My best bet is to try Atlanta!

Old 12-28-2013, 07:21 PM

298 posts, read 707,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Whoa there bro take it easy. First thing first, in NYC plenty of college entry jobs are very competitive also the market is saturated with plenty of out of towner Transplants and Bridge and Tunnel folks from the burbs who take away these jobs from educated locals. Therefore forcing many educated locals to work in service industry jobs which most do not pay to well or lack benefits. Plenty of college educated New Yorkers that I know of seek employment outside of the city because the job market here is way too competitive, especially since majority of the outsiders are better educated than the locals. The competition in NYC is fierce, unless you know someone or went to an amazing college like ancient 8 Ivy league school, NYU types or at least a Masters degree from any school, than you are going to run into trouble finding or landing a professional job. To many people here running around with 4 year degrees. My best bet is to try Atlanta!
Entry level market is competitive in Atlanta. All the things you describe happen everywhere except instead of "transplants" they scapegoat the "illegal aliens".

Old 12-28-2013, 07:25 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,077,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballervision View Post
Entry level market is competitive in Atlanta. All the things you describe happen everywhere except instead of "transplants" they scapegoat the "illegal aliens".
You maybe right about this. I know of three Transplants all from the Atlanta area where I work. None could not find a job in Atlanta, however all found jobs here in NYC. Again one told me that the job market there is saturated by New Yorkers and other Northeasterners who move there over in the recent years!

Old 12-28-2013, 08:48 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,691,256 times
Unless you have to be in New York City, why not look for a job in some other city? It's better to have a job and live in say, Chicago, than to have no job. There many Nice cities in this country. I'd be looking for the best job I could find.

Old 12-29-2013, 02:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John7777 View Post
Unless you have to be in New York City, why not look for a job in some other city? It's better to have a job and live in say, Chicago, than to have no job. There many Nice cities in this country. I'd be looking for the best job I could find.
I've been down this road before. Why would a company hire some entry level-ish hire thousands of miles away when they got more local people? I went to college in Upstate, and even they balk at hiring me after the phone interview (usually because they thought I was local) because a live a few hundred miles away. I have never once been invited to an out-of-state interview, and I've applied all over the country.

Moving to some random city without any income stream or guarantee of job is riiiisky. Right now, I am fortunate enough to be living in the 3rd floor in my parent's house rent-free (though obviously not with job). I won't be so fortunate in moving to some random city like Atlanta or Chicago.

Plus, I am starting a small part-time business on the side with a friend in the boroughs. If it is successful, the plan is to make that our dedicated "job", and not beg for opportunities to show our potential.

Last edited by mozillameister; 12-29-2013 at 02:35 AM..

Old 12-29-2013, 02:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballervision View Post
I had the same trouble back in 2008. Best advice I could give is start with a smaller employer. I actually got to the point where I started looking for ANY job. It really helped me refine my resume.
I agree. That's what I did for my first out-of-college job. The problem with working for a small-business is, if things start blowing a bit south, you are entirely out of luck. In my case, 2 business deals falling through for the owner that forced cuts.

Quote:
Do you have a blog? That actually got me my first real job. Write a blog about internet marketing or something. You have the time and it will establish you as an expert in your field.
To be honest, I still don't understand social media for personal use. I understand it as a powerful tool for companies and small businesses to cheaply expand their outreach to their consumers, but why the f** should anyone want to hear what some schmucky recent college grad has to say about marketing ideas? Maybe the problem is that I'm the total opposite of a narcissist, idk...

I don't really have anything note-worthy to say...

I could write a blog about how blogs are stupid and silly, though! I love being a sarcastic *** and being a George Carlin wannabe

Last edited by mozillameister; 12-29-2013 at 02:55 AM..

Old 12-29-2013, 03:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Take a chill pill and relax. I do think you gave insufficient information for posters to be able to give much in advice. But you don't want to necessarily get full advice from a message board . My advice would be to contact career counselors.
The paradox: How am I supposed to contact a career counselor without money?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City