Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is xenophobia as prevalent in NYC as elsewhere?
People are generally more open-minded in NYC. 51 67.11%
Xenophobia/nationalism/racism is about the same in NYC as elsewhere in the US. 20 26.32%
NYC has much worse xenophobia than other places in the US. 5 6.58%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 10:29 AM

486 posts, read 1,035,830 times

Advertisements

I was reading another thread about Archie Bunker and whether or not he'd survive in Queens today. Some of the posters disappointed me. I'm white and married to an Asian girl. I had always assumed, perhaps stupidly, that NYC was more accepting of things like interracial marriage, etc. Some of the posters (perhaps NYCers, perhaps not) surprised me a little.

Many of the posts were pretty xenophopic, and things I would expect to see on the Alabama, Kansas, or South Carolina forum ('learn English!' and 'damn Jews', 'our superior country', etc), but not the NYC forum. When I was working in Asia, I had a native NYC friend (who's of Colombian and Syrian descent), and he warned me that racism was more noticeable in NYC than anywhere else he'd lived/travelled to but I didn't believe him.

It seems to me that since NY is and has been the United States' largest, most important city, and hence a major draw for immigrants, that people would live there expecting and accepting a constant influx of newcomers. Anyway, I'm hoping to get out of 'Redneckville, Midwestern USA' at some point, but I'm not sure where to go and possibly NYC doesn't fit what I'm looking for.

Old 08-26-2009, 10:43 AM

13 posts, read 49,448 times
move to cali if you want aisan/white relationships they are more accepting ny people stick with themselves

Old 08-26-2009, 11:25 AM

745 posts, read 1,438,726 times
Is White male/ Asian female even considered Inter-racial??? Ha ha... just messing, but if you are thinking this might be unusual or rare in NYC.... you are mistaken.

I think message boards attract fringe opinions (right or left).

NYC as a whole politically is Liberal/ Democrat, which puts me in the political minority..... a Conservative to Moderate Republican. NYC is definitely an open minded place compared to other places. Oh.... your friend who said other countries do not have Racism? Yeah right! False! For example: there is tons of Anti Semitism throughout Europe. Way more so than the U.S. Maybe he is refering to Black/White racism which is a far more sensitive issue in the U.S. than elsewhere.

Old 08-26-2009, 11:37 AM

486 posts, read 1,035,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kemcnyc View Post
Is White male/ Asian female even considered Inter-racial??? Ha ha... just messing, but if you are thinking this might be unusual or rare in NYC.... you are mistaken.

I think message boards attract fringe opinions (right or left).

NYC as a whole politically is Liberal/ Democrat, which puts me in the political minority..... a Conservative to Moderate Republican. NYC is definitely an open minded place compared to other places. Oh.... your friend who said other countries do not have Racism? Yeah right! False! For example: there is tons of Anti Semitism throughout Europe. Way more so than the U.S. Maybe he is refering to Black/White racism which is a far more sensitive issue in the U.S. than elsewhere.
Thanks for your input. Actually my friend said racism was worse in NYC, not that it didn't exist anywhere else. I was skeptical of his views, but since I've only visited and never lived there, I really couldn't agree or disagree with him.

Old 08-26-2009, 11:53 AM

745 posts, read 1,438,726 times
Muman- I kind of reread your post after my Reply and realized you did not 'say NO racism' elsewhere.... but my Reply was already out there...

Anyway.... in short... do not let concern over racism in NYC be a reason to not move here.

Rudeness? Maybe..... ;-)

Old 08-26-2009, 11:57 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,054,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muman View Post
I was reading another thread about Archie Bunker and whether or not he'd survive in Queens today. Some of the posters disappointed me. I'm white and married to an Asian girl. I had always assumed, perhaps stupidly, that NYC was more accepting of things like interracial marriage, etc. Some of the posters (perhaps NYCers, perhaps not) surprised me a little.

Many of the posts were pretty xenophopic, and things I would expect to see on the Alabama, Kansas, or South Carolina forum ('learn English!' and 'damn Jews', 'our superior country', etc), but not the NYC forum. When I was working in Asia, I had a native NYC friend (who's of Colombian and Syrian descent), and he warned me that racism was more noticeable in NYC than anywhere else he'd lived/travelled to but I didn't believe him.

It seems to me that since NY is and has been the United States' largest, most important city, and hence a major draw for immigrants, that people would live there expecting and accepting a constant influx of newcomers. Anyway, I'm hoping to get out of 'Redneckville, Midwestern USA' at some point, but I'm not sure where to go and possibly NYC doesn't fit what I'm looking for.
Interms of race NYers are opened minded however generally speaking NYers are very stuck up people and not opened minded people as folks out in the western united states who are laidback. I guess its the new york cultural mindest that makes it a stuck up place. Racism is very noticibale in new york city espicially among immigrant communities. For example some dominicans that I knew were racist against african americans but at the sametime im like look at yourself your just as black and hair is just as rough as black people who are here. My mom is very good friends with an African immigrants from ghana who disliked black americans for bieng lazy which is not true. I have am Albanian friend who other white poeple such as italians and Irish who considered him dirty but sadly a 100 years ago whites considered italians and irish as dirty also. When I was a child I remember my friends wanted to play a game of basketball and the two sides were blacks vs puerto ricans and I played with the puerto ricans because they assumed i was PR and not guyanese, I suggested that we all play together but one of the black kids said he hate puerto ricans. The only way that people in NYC try to overlook racism by using other important things such as hardships of being poor or being an immigrant. NYC has alot of interracial couples and also interregional couples as well.

In NYC there is alot of interacial dating but unlike london people in ny stare at interracial couples. In NYC you will mostly find black and white couple and black and hispanic couples. There is also hispanic and white couples. THere is asian and white couples but that generally exists in manhattan. But if you wanna show off a eurasian couple its bests to do that in seattle, portland, or san fran and san jose, ny is acceptable to a certain extent. About being redneck, NYC has had hatred for rednecks probably dating back since the civil war. The state and the city is very proud of its success and support in the american civil war. 3 years ago I remember some southerners driving a u haul truck, they were moving to east tremont from kentucky and the driver asked me me how to get to east tremont and he was driving towards manhattan lost, typical nyers gave him the guy wrong direction. He told me he feels un welcome moving here.

With the recent economic collapse, people from other regions of the US have been moving to NYC for jobs, and NYers need to be acceptable for people from other regions of the US like how we accepted others from different parts of the world. At my doorman job a 3 tenants are from the south and all women and aksed me the samething about nyers hating rednecks. They did not trust Nyers but they learned to trust NYers from me. I told her not really but the women here would be jelous if you date the guys from up here. I realized this today when I was on my way home and my tenant who was on her way to work we both took the same train uptown and we had a very close face to face chat and very flirtacious chat with my new york accent and her deep southern accent and oh boy lots of white, black and puertorican women were looking at us on the train and im sure they were very jealous of her. But any way there is racism everywhere and there is racism nowhere it depends on the people you encounter here in NYC.

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 08-26-2009 at 01:24 PM..

Old 08-26-2009, 12:04 PM

1,915 posts, read 7,986,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wash_heightz_dr View Post
move to cali if you want aisan/white relationships they are more accepting ny people stick with themselves
Uh.. no. You see A LOT of white guys with Asian females all over the city... I used to be one of them, lol.

Old 08-26-2009, 12:07 PM

3,052 posts, read 4,307,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kemcnyc View Post
Ha, this is funny but true.

I'm West Indian (black) and my boyfriend is white, and we attract an unusual amount of attention for a city as diverse as New York.

And you're right, message boards do attract fringe types.

Old 08-26-2009, 12:09 PM

11,305 posts, read 18,899,294 times
I would say NYC is more tolerant than most of the US but a bit less so than California (that is, the metros of California, the rural parts of CA are actually quite "redneck").

There is a lot of "anti-southerner" prejudice here, partially because even most white people here are from groups that traditionally have faced prejudice in the south (Italians, Jews, etc.) and partially in recent times because of the "red state/blue state" divide.

Interesting side note from the bronxguyanese's post, when I visited London in 2003 I was surprised to see more interracial couples of all types on the streets than in NYC.

I think Archie Bunker would survive today in certain areas, maybe not in his own neighborhood, but perhaps in the relatively politically conservative areas of the metro area that are middle-class, like parts of Staten Island or certain areas in Long Island.

Old 08-26-2009, 12:17 PM

88,615 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
I would say NYC is more tolerant than most of the US but a bit less so than California (that is, the metros of California, the rural parts of CA are actually quite "redneck").

There is a lot of "anti-southerner" prejudice here, partially because even most white people here are from groups that traditionally have faced prejudice in the south (Italians, Jews, etc.) and partially in recent times because of the "red state/blue state" divide.

Interesting side note from the bronxguyanese's post, when I visited London in 2003 I was surprised to see more interracial couples of all types on the streets than in NYC.

I think Archie Bunker would survive today in certain areas, maybe not in his own neighborhood, but perhaps in the relatively politically conservative areas of the metro area that are middle-class, like parts of Staten Island or certain areas in Long Island.
I live in a mostly-white town in NJ and have been working in NYC for 30 years so I was pretty surprised to see some of the answers on this thread. After all these years I don't look twice at anybody and thought that was the norm.

Not that I'm totally without notice of the diversity of the city. As a matter of fact, I was amused in a "ain't New York great" kind of way when I noticed that the Mexican waiter in the Italian restaurant we frequent for lunch was wearing a claddagh ring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City