Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 10:00 AM

20 posts, read 55,776 times

Advertisements

I saw the movie "Eyes Wide Shut." The main character left Manhattan and went to an old money mansion used by the elite for parties and such. The castle part was recorded in England, and it was the English castle Mentmore Towers.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...from_angle.jpg

Waddesdon manor, an example, also in England.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...on_paterre.jpg

Do these type of places exist in New York? Or are they more like something from MTV Cribs?

Last edited by bmwguydc; 05-01-2011 at 05:27 PM.. Reason: Links, please if the images are not your own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2011, 10:10 AM

2,896 posts, read 9,810,079 times
How old are you?

Look up Gold Coast, Long Island and The Hamptons.

Old 05-01-2011, 11:04 AM

136 posts, read 266,908 times
Fortunately, no.

Old 05-01-2011, 11:44 AM

1,583 posts, read 3,676,606 times
There are a couple of Vanderbilt mansions within reach of NYC, if I'm not mistaken.

Old 05-01-2011, 12:41 PM

20 posts, read 55,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post
How old are you?

Look up Gold Coast, Long Island and The Hamptons.
I'm very much an adult. I'm also not an American, and certainly not a New Yorker. So I can't possibly know.

What I do know is that it's hard to imagine these kind of estates in America.

I looked at what you said and found the following:

GOLD COAST MANSIONS

Not really the same thing. Maybe if we found an estate 10 times the size, with a surrounding garden the size of central park in maybe Brooklyn, we might come close to what I'm suggesting.

Old 05-01-2011, 03:31 PM

5,462 posts, read 5,704,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deamon View Post
Not really the same thing. Maybe if we found an estate 10 times the size, with a surrounding garden the size of central park in maybe Brooklyn, we might come close to what I'm suggesting.
LOL what? That kind of thing is impossible in New York, the city is too dense within city limits for that. There might be mansions this size somewhere in the outer suburbs, but not inside the boroughs.

I know that largest single occupancy house in the United States is on Long Island:

http://www.pbase.com/aclark79/image/64272963.jpg

Last edited by bmwguydc; 05-01-2011 at 05:28 PM.. Reason: Links, please, if the images are not your own

Old 05-01-2011, 04:23 PM

9,246 posts, read 24,069,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
LOL what? That kind of thing is impossible in New York, the city is too dense within city limits for that. There might be mansions this size somewhere in the outer suburbs, but not inside the boroughs.

I know that largest single occupancy house in the United States is on Long Island:
Good one Gantz. That's Ira Rennert's House in Sagaponack.It might actually be a bigger house than either of the two posted by the OP but not as much land.Also,it's used as a private house and it was built only 10 or 15 years ago.

In addition to the houses on the Gold Coast and in The Hamptons there are a lot of mega mansions up The Hudson like Olana Olana: the Persian style home of Hudson River artist Frederic Edwin Church and Kykuit
Mansions of the Hudson Valley

Old 05-01-2011, 04:58 PM

916 posts, read 2,246,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post

OMG.... that's so big you might need to take a bus from one
side to the other side. *lol*

Old 05-01-2011, 09:30 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,292,881 times
There are many Gilded Age mansions within commuting distance of the city, however there are few anywhere in the country that can compare with a true English stately home. They evolved differently. English country houses are based around enormous landed estates that are hundreds of years old. The point was to maintain "broad acres" for agricultural rents. New York estates were built in the 19th century as weekend or summer houses, with just enough land for privacy, rather than working farms.

The only true English-style estate in the area (with its own village and church, etc.) is the Rockefeller Estate at Kykuit. Interestingly, the house itself is comparatively modest. It's the land that is truly spectacular.

Old 05-02-2011, 01:28 AM

63 posts, read 234,668 times
No, but in NYC proper (all 5 boroughs) you'll find the biggest houses in Riverdale (the Bronx), North Eastern Queens (e.g. forest hills), Ditmas Park/Flatbush area of Brooklyn (example), and Manhattan Beach (Brooklyn)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City