Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 03:41 PM

30 posts, read 96,275 times

Advertisements

Hello,
After time away from the city I am thinking about moving back. I was researching some real estate options and am looking into the Rockaway Beach area. I am looking in areas in between Beach 65th Street and Beach 95th street. My understanding that mostly anything east of 65th is unsafe and of poor quality, and mostly anything west of 95 is expensive.

Does anyone live there? How is the area? Safe? Quiet? Demographics? Is east of 65th not too bad anymore? Is west of 95th coming down in price these past few years?

Thanks. Hope to hear from you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2009, 03:44 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,950,467 times
You can search this forum on the keyword 'Rockaway.'

See this thread: is Rockaway park a safe neighbourhood?

Old 08-03-2009, 04:05 PM

thanks, but I didnt really see what I was looking for on that thread.

Old 08-03-2009, 06:18 PM

34,104 posts, read 47,323,258 times
beach 65th to beach 95th? kind of a broad area.

well let's start at beach 65th street, which is arverne. north of beach channel drive, the housing stock consists of mostly old mansions have have been partitioned off into multiple dwellings and SROs. this leads to undesirables in the neighbohood, and crime is prevalent in the 60s. every afternoon, cops stand on every corner on beach channel drive from beach 62nd to beach 71st street....

now beach 65th street south of beach channel drive is a different story...the area is going to become part of the new arverne by the sea development, but as of right now, from beach 62nd street to beach 69th street south of rockaway freeway is just dirt and grass. they have filed with the buildings department, but as to my knowledge, nothing is approved as of yet. arverne by the sea however, is a fantastic development. houses have been built from beach 69th street, to beach 81st. the craftmanship really shows in these houses, however you will pay a pretty penny. houses start at $550K (the ones closest to the train station) and go as high as $1MM (right next to the boardwalk). the closer you are to the beach, the more you pay.

now you have carleton manor (71-15 as its called by the locals) and hammels houses, two NYCHA developments that also contribute to the crime in the area. "the boulevard" (rockaway beach boulevard) from beach 81st street to beach 90th street is run-down looking. then you have some ramshackle houses and bungalows north of the EL.

in the 90s, the housing stock improves, but you will have to pay. prices havent come down yet, and a 2 bedroom condo in an apartment building will run you about $400K. i'm a lifelong rockaway resident hope this helps.

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 08-03-2009, 06:55 PM

Yeah this did help alot actually thats alot. Thanks.

So you dont think living around beach 69th - 79th for instance, is a good idea?

Closer to beach channel drive or rockaway beach blvd a better idea with regards to any of those streets?

Any crack houses, recent murders, or such?

I noticed you said crime is prevelant in the sixties(streets) at what point, in the sixities does it become safer than the seventies?(if that makes sense) or as bad as the fifties (if it is bad?)

Whats your opinon of probabaly the most unsafe area in that region, or rockaway in general? I used to live in Brooklyn and Northern Queens so I am unfamiliar with Rockaway basically with the exception of having beach visited @ 116th ish.

Thanks.

Old 08-03-2009, 07:40 PM

depends. if you have money to live in arverne by the sea then i would say go for it. if you dont then i wouldnt really recommend it unless you're like me, cause i love rockaway and im never leaving. but to get a real sense, you should walk around here on a saturday evening to see what it really is.

oh yeah another problem with the 60s is mosquitoes. closer you live to the bay, the more they bite.

crack houses? i dont think so, we're past the 80s lol. but people still sell crack in the projects around here. prostitution is a problem in the 60s.

when i say the 60s, i am referring to beach 62nd street to beach 69th street north of beach channel drive.

70s consist of arverne by the sea south of beach channel drive....from 73rd to 79th street. north of beach channel drive, the area which the 70s are is called somerville. small 1 family homes, light industrial, a sanitation garage and carleton manor (71-15).

80s is mostly hammels houses, those are some pretty rough projects, my wife is from there. i never had a problem over there though.

Old 08-03-2009, 07:58 PM

Well again I appreciate the reply. I suppose I was being too broad in my search by mentioning beach 65th - beach 95th.

Most of the houses I see are north of beach channel drive, between beach 65, and beach 72.
How is that area, in general?
What are the demographics of that area?

Old 08-04-2009, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanR87 View Post
Well again I appreciate the reply. I suppose I was being too broad in my search by mentioning beach 65th - beach 95th.

Most of the houses I see are north of beach channel drive, between beach 65, and beach 72.
How is that area, in general?
What are the demographics of that area?
demographics in terms of what?
race, mostly blacks and hispanics, a few old-timer caucasians and a few east indians thrown in.

economically, its mostly lower-middle class. a lot of the 2-3 family homes you see are rentals, and the remaining 1 family homes are owned by long-time residents.

i personally dont like the area to live in because of the following:

crime, flooding (proximity to jamaica bay) and mosquitoes (also proximity to the bay). also, depending on where you live in the 60s, its a very long walk to the bus or train, pretty much anywhere north of thursby avenue. some blocks like bayfield, dacosta, almeda, it can be a 15-20 minute walk.

Old 08-04-2009, 12:20 PM

Well, thanks. Yeah, I meant both economics, and race. Just curious.

I noticed the area, because of several houses, where I mentioned above, that are priced under $160,000. For New York City, that is usually a bad sign, but I would not make it a lifetime residence, temporarily, I would like to live there because the mortgage would be pocket change.

Bottom line...hows the crime? Like what? Is there alot of noise at night?
Just to reiterate, most of the houses I have been considering are west of beach 65th, north of beach channel drive...and a little walk to the train is not a big deal.

How about East of 65th street? Far Rockaway? or what is it? Whats the deal with that?

Old 08-04-2009, 03:18 PM

18 posts, read 53,344 times
I wouldn’t move anywhere in to 60's or 70's the area is a little sketchy, too many mosquitoes and it is too far from the train station., the cops are always over there. Further down the area gets a little better but still not the best because of Hammels projects. Right now the only redeeming quality about that area is Arverne By the Sea. Rockaway is a in holding phase right now they over shot the real estate market and now you have all these houses that were built and no one to move in to them so now they are rented them out to section 8 people and the homeless through the city. Property owners are abandoning their properties because they are not worth what they paid for. In my opinion if you can’t buy into Arverne by the Sea or afford to live in 100’’s or down don’t waste your money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City